Thread: taurus raging bull & smith wesson 460

Default taurus raging bull & smith wesson 460

Nothing like figuring out what you like and not having it available. I also was unable to shoot a 454 to try it at their range, plus, I have to take a course to shoot anything there, which I don't mind at all, but still.

I was recommended these two guns by two different places that have them:

The Taurus 454 raging bull and the smith & wesson 460. The 460 can fire colt .45's, and casull 454, too.

Any feedback on these? They are both short-barreled (under three inches).

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by arcticmike View Post
    Nothing like figuring out what you like and not having it available. I also was unable to shoot a 454 to try it at their range, plus, I have to take a course to shoot anything there, which I don't mind at all, but still.

I was recommended these two guns by two different places that have them:

The Taurus 454 raging bull and the smith & wesson 460. The 460 can fire colt .45's, and casull 454, too.

Any feedback on these? They are both short-barreled (under three inches).

Thanks,

Mike
    Have you fondled them yet? Go check em out. They are BIG framed guns. May or may not make a difference to you. If it ends up being too big/heavy and inconvenient to carry it won't do you any good. But, I have a friend who has a 460 and he likes it and has no problem packing it. If I were considering one I'd probably go with the 500 and shoot heavy boolits at moderate velocity.

Bet if they had the Ruger it would be recommended also. Taurus resale will be very low but the S&W are good guns.There is a nice 2" barreled 500 in the for sale section.Overall I think the big S&W with 2" would be about the same size as the 4" Redhawk.Thing is if you realy want a blond don't get a brunette and have her dye her hair,just ain't the same

Wink

Kind of apples and oranges. You can't compare a raging bull against a 460, not even close. I do have a 460v and love it.The downside of the 460 is the compensator, it would take the ears out without protection. I carry mine on hip or chest holster. yes I'm a smith guy and never saw a taurus I didn't hate.

I have both and would never let the S&W 460V get away from me, it's the best revolver I have ever had and I have had hundreds of revolvers. The Taurus is fine and does what it is said to. I hate the double latch the Taurus has that takes 2 hands to open so I drop my ammo every time I try to open it. Spend the extra bucks on a 460V (V model is 4 not counting the comp) then get a good chest holster and never look back!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have the info for model 460 w/2.75 barrel from the dealer's website, but I can't find it on the smith & wesson website. Does anyone have a link to specs or a review for this gun? Thanks!

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...del460_200805/

Except for the weight of the 2.75, I found specs I was looking for in this review. Sounds like a cool gun and I was offered a good price.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks, Andy.

For some reason, their own link to the model 460 in 2.75 isn't working.

That 2.75" is the survival model and it has not been a big seller due to not having a compensator on it. I wonder if they discontinued it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy, you may be right. I bought the 2.75" 460 today, I got a great price on it, lower than what I found for the ruger alaskans. Retail on it is 1,400!

I can load it with colt .45's, 454's, and the .460 magnum.

I wonder if it can shoot flares, too. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticmike View Post
    Andy, you may be right. I bought the 2.75" 460 today, I got a great price on it, lower than what I found for the ruger alaskans. Retail on it is 1,400!

I can load it with colt .45's, 454's, and the .460 magnum.

I wonder if it can shoot flares, too. lol.
    Congrats, sounds like you got a good deal. I think you will love it almost as much as I love my 460V.

After you shoot short cases in it (45/454) you will want to clean the cylinder before shooting the longer rounds (454/460) through it. Soot makes a ring at the end of the brass that can give you sticky cases when you shoot brass that reaches past the soot ring.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I think you will enjoy it alot and you now have a pistol you can use on everything from spruce hens with light 45colt loads to elephant with the others,congrats

Thanks, guys!

If I can't hit the elephant, I'll buy a longer barrel.

Funny about the spruce hens, they let you walk up to them. If I miss, I can just pick it up anyways.