Thread: Bayliner fuel question

Default Bayliner fuel question

Does anyone know when you get the correct reading on your fuel gauge, Is it when the boat is at rest in the water or on step. My fuel gauge will always read more fuel on step.

I've never had a fuel gauge that worked consistently on a boat.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Ours never was accurate. When a leak developed at the gasket where it went into the tank, we simply got rid of it and installed a blank plate over the hole. Put a Floscan in the boat. Way better fuel information.

Definately go with a fuel management system, it'll pay for itself by finding out the most efficient opperating point for your boat, but to me having an accurate fuel gauge is priceless.

All the Bayliner fuel tanks I have seen (including mine) have the sending unit located at the aft end of the tank. This why you show more fuel on step as the fuel is pooled up at the aft end due to the angle of the hull while on step. You should have an access hatch in your deck where the sending unit is and this will also access your fuel pickup tube, electrical connections for the sending unit and vent tube. Since you have a planing hull you will just have to get used to the different fuel level readings while on step vs at rest. My boat's readings were accurate enough that after a few 3-4 day outings I was confidant to within 3-4 gallons. I just watched the readings while on step vs what they were when I came to rest and double checked when it came time to add more fuel (that's where I verified it). However I TOTALLY agree with Paul H in getting a fuel management system ( I have a Floscan). You will get much better fuel management info than you can imagine and it will pay for itself if used correctly.

We just purchased a Bayliner this summer. I don't even look at the fuel gauge anymore. It bounces all over the place.

We have a fuel scanner on the boat that keeps track of how much gas has been burned. It's very accurate and is great for those longer trips into the Sound where keeping track of fuel consumption is a must.

The fuel gauge should be most accurate, to it's best ability, when the boat is at rest and loaded evenly.

To answer your question, it would be more accurate while you are at rest on the water.

Bushboy is correct about the pooling. This isn't just a Bayliner issue. Mine has the sending unit at the back of the tank and will show full when on step.

Mine bounces too. The gage at least gives you a "guess-a-ment" on how much fuel you have.

There is one accurate thing, so long as it is bouncing you have fuel, once it stops....so will your engine!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Thank you

Thank you everyone. I knew I would get some great information here...