Thread: Sierra 225gr (.358 acl)

Default Sierra 225gr (.358 acl)

I am using these for developement in poedwer selecion for a 225gr partition load in a 358win. I figure I am 90% there for the partition load. But in their own right how do they perform for deer/black bear?
    Also would be elk and moose? I have heard there not tough bullets and for deer that what I need very fast expanders and i am sure their as good or better than the 200 grainer for staying together on deer.

I use hornadys 200gr spire point for just deer and am quite happy with it for deer.

So in the end I would have three loads a 200gr Spire Point, a 225gr Game King, and the 225gr Partition. I realy only need two loads one being the Partition.

Powders I will try H322, TAC, and AA2495. I have used H4895 for both the 200SP & 225P velocitys 2500/2430fps but groups were not what I would expect from a match grade barrel so the hunt is on for good load.

Whomever told you that Partitions are not tough bullets, is blowing smoke.. or smoking something.

Do a search on this forum for partitons and you will get some in field results of their performance as well as many opinions on them. You shoud see a post or two by me that describes some very impressive performance on a moose I killed in 07'.

In short, the Nosler Partition is the standard for which all other premium bullets are compared to and IMO are the pioneers of tough, high performance big game bullets. There are tougher bullets to be sure but, for any N.A. big game a partition will certainly do its' job as long as the shooter does the same.

Its the sierra 358 cal 225gr bullet I am asking about not the partition.

Well that isn't the first time the format in which you posted got the best of me.

I stand by what I said all the same !

As to the Sierra bullet , I have no field experience and very little range experience with so, I will refrain from any further opinion .

Default ?

IF you end up liking the way the partition shoots in the end..... why do you "need" another load?

Reason I'm askin..... cuz my 338WM 225's do a dandy job of puttin down the smaller animals too...

Call me crazy for shootin them at lil ol deer & antelope and stuff that don't need that much killin. BUT I've only got 1 bullet, 1 powder and 1 primer to deal with when I'm running low...

I know this is jumpin the gun a little with you not having the load worked yet...

The game king bullet is a fine bullet. Used to shoot the 250's in my 338. Now I'm back to 225 partitions. Thought I "needed" to shoot the 250's when I moved up here a dozen years ago... they gave me headaches when I shot them. Now, I know why.... 5 of 7 disks in my neck are either gone or going to be soon.... 225's don't hurt me, but they make everything else they touch D.R.T. (or at least reasonably close)

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    Its the sierra 358 cal 225gr bullet I am asking about not the partition.
    I've used the 225 Sierra quite a bit and have always been perfectly satisfied with its accuracy, it produces ragged hole groups (.585 is my best group) from my 35 Whelen (2650 fps) at 100 yards. Using them in the Whelen I've shot several deer that scaled around 200 pounds and could not ask for more on those animals. I've loaded them in my 358 Win and with a 20 inch barrel they start right at 2400 fps. They are accurate, but like you in my 358 I use 200 grain Hornady spire points for deer so I've not yet used them at that velocity in my 358. On deer I would not hesitate to use the Sierra, on black bear it would depend a bit on the size of the bear you expect to encounter, but I think I would lean towards the partition or a heavier bullet. The Sierra has a sectional density of .251 and for a cup and core bullet it may not give enough penetration if the shot presentation is a little bit wrong. If everything goes right, it would certainly work and probably would work most of the time, but I like to use things that will work all of the time. I would say the same thing about elk and moose, it'll work most of the time, but probably not all of the time.

Having said that, here in Dillingham the locals use what most would consider fairly meager rifles to hunt moose. This is only in my experience and I've not done any formal survey, but I love rifles and take note of what I see people carry in the field. I notice that the '06 is the most popular moose round (also 30/30, 35 Rem, .308 Win) which is no surprise. What strikes me is the most common round for it is probably the 150 power point or core-lokt. These are subsistence hunters so they take the first legal moose they see, but since they are subsistence hunters they also place a lot of faith on that little 150 grain pill.

If you want to make a third loading for the .358 have you considered the 250 Hornady RN or 250 Speer Sp (Hot-Cor)? I prefer the RN. While I have not loaded above 2300 fps yet it's close. Being a RN design the bullet does not intrude on the powder capacity and I have a lot of confidence in the Hornady Interlock for penetration and terminal performance. I'm hunting with a couple of guys for Brown Bear this fall and I think I will carry both my .358 with the 250 RN and a 300 WM. Depending on terrain I'll use the rifle that bests suits the conditions, but I have a lot of confidence in that little .358 loaded correctly.

In the end I want a 200gr Spire point and a 225gr partition load. I thought once I found a powder and charge that produced good groups with the Sierra I would back off 3grs and work back up using the Partition to find a accurate load.

So the first load with the 200gr spire point simple works great on deer, but thats wear I would stop. Next the 225gr works better for penitration and for longer ranges. The Partition is the good to bullet hands down. For black Bears and up.

That was the plan and the question I was poundering is maybe I only need the two 225 grainers or even just the Partition as mentioned.

I still have 300 200gr bullets and just pick up 150 sierra's for the 225gr project. It keeps the cost down from shooting up the same amout of partitions for research.

I went through a similar process with my .338WM and found that the Hornady Spire Points in 225grn shoot exactly like the Partitions with the same powder charge behind them. Thus I used the Hornady for load development and range sessions, also I have killed caribou and moose with them and they performed ideally.

I also chose to stick with one load/bullet weight and have yet to find a reason to do otherwise, the 225grn from a 338WM really puts the hurt on critters and neither one of those bullets have caused what I consider "too much" meat damage.

Thats one thing I love about the 35's from the 35rem to the whelen you just don't wast meat and they drop really fast.

Just a side note I use the 35 rem with 200gr CLRN's @ 2188fps and it rocks for deer & pigs. The 358win is my go to gun for deer and realy any thing up through moose. The whelen is in a 7600 rifle and it has worked great but someday I will get a 700 rebarreled in the whelen.

Talking sierra 225

Howdy. I had a browning in 358 and wish I had kept it. My load for the 225 Sierra was 47.5 gr of H 4895 with WLR primers in FC cases. Speed was about 2480 fps and it would do an inch at 100 yards. Knowing the 358 is NOT a long range deal, I would shoot to 150 yards.... maybe 200 if the animal was standing in the right position and expect it to get in the truck for the ride home. I know elk usually do not eat people, but I would shoot a black bear with the Sierras but would rather shoot the parts. on bear. The 358 is a close range brush gun... close range deal. If it is in range.... close the deal. The sierra 225 is pulled off the same cup as the 250 sierra. I know a couple of the guys at Sierra. Call them sometime. Nice bunch of guys. Watch out for Carrol Pilant tho.......
    Fullcurl09

The 358Win is not just a short range bush gun. The 225gr Sierra is more than capable on a black bear or elk as well as large 350 plus pound Russian wild boars. The bullet will pass out the other side and that is even when bone is hit and it will stay together.

Ballistic Chart
    358Win
    225gr Sierra SBT
    2471fps

Sight in at 3" high at 100yds

1000 foot pounds energy as minimum on deer size game

Yards--------Velocity-----Energy-----(above/below line of sight)

0--------------2471------3050-------------(-1.5")

100-----------2256------2542-------------(+3")

210-----------2031------2060-------------(Zero)

263-----------1927------1855-------------(-5”)

300-----------1857------1723--------(-10” P/B-hold top of shoulder)

355-----------1756------1540--------(-10” from top of shoulder)

373-----------1724------1484--------(-14” from top of shoulder)
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Before loading 250 grain Sierra's in my 338 I did some research and called the folks at Sierra. I've shot deer/antelope with 270 caliber Sierra's and they opened up very quickly. Great for small critters, but not for the big ones. The folks assured me that the large caliber Sierra Game Kings use a much thicker jacket and will not open up like the smaller caliber bullets. I decided that they would work for moose and an opportunistic grizzly or black bear. If I was targeting big brown bear I would go with a different bullet. Maybe a Barnes, A-frame, or Trophy Bonded. I'm not excited about the front 40% of the partition disappearing. Turns that 250 grain bullet into a 150 grain bullet pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    I'm not excited about the front 40% of the partition disappearing. Turns that 250 grain bullet into a 150 grain bullet pretty quick.
    The 40% doesn't just disappear, it creates a large wound cavity surrounding the bullet's initial 10 or so inches of penetration. The remaining 60% will penetrate as deep as any other expanding bullet that is widely available and it does so after making a very destructive wound channel. Weight retention is not the only needed attribute for penetration and in my experience the Partition will out penetrate the A-Frame and do it in a consistently straight bullet path.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    The 40% doesn't just disappear, it creates a large wound cavity surrounding the bullet's initial 10 or so inches of penetration. The remaining 60% will penetrate as deep as any other expanding bullet that is widely available and it does so after making a very destructive wound channel. Weight retention is not the only needed attribute for penetration and in my experience the Partition will out penetrate the A-Frame and do it in a consistently straight bullet path.
    The Partition for wound channel and doing so in pretty much a straight line is an established fact indeed. The Partiton is a better choice than the Sierra on heavy game but not by much. In my 35 Whelen I used both bullets on game and both were out standing. I got exits on all shots with these two bullets.

In a test on media at 25yds using a 5 gallon plastic container filled with water and backed up with an 8" thick laminated beam from a constrution sight with another 5 gallon conatianer of water behind the beam - I set this up twice and fired both rounds at this media. Both the Partition 225gr and Sierra 225gr bullets exited the media.

From this test as far as I am concerned, either bullet in a 358Win or 35 Whelen would work on anything in North America and do the job.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have worked up a pretty good load for the 358 Win and 225 gr partition for my Browning BLR. I use W748. I won't post the charge weight here, but if you send me an email I'll let you know. mike.tarr@gci.net

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    The Partition for wound channel and doing so in pretty much a straight line is an established fact indeed. The Partiton is a better choice than the Sierra on heavy game but not by much. In my 35 Whelen I used both bullets on game and both were out standing. I got exits on all shots with these two bullets.

In a test on media at 25yds using a 5 gallon plastic container filled with water and backed up with an 8" thick laminated beam from a constrution sight with another 5 gallon conatianer of water behind the beam - I set this up twice and fired both rounds at this media. Both the Partition 225gr and Sierra 225gr bullets exited the media.

From this test as far as I am concerned, either bullet in a 358Win or 35 Whelen would work on anything in North America and do the job.
    I agree completely. I've not used the 225 Sierra on really big game, I tend to favor the 250 Speer Hot-Cor, but your point is well made in that the Sierra is completely satisfactory for hunting with the Whelen, 350 Rem Mag & 358 Win.

When I read the criticism of the Partition bullet my heart jumped. It is an attribute of the design, not a fault, that causes the portion forward of the partition to shed it jacket and core. I am afraid too many people think a bullet must look a certain way (before & after) or must maintain a certain % of its weight to be a "tough" or a penetrating bullet. I try to rate the bullets on actual performance and have never found the Partition lacking game killing performance.