Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: What exactly is the currant status of CC.

  1. #1

    Default What exactly is the currant status of CC.

    In Anchorage? Is the old permit required,or even available? What about open carry?

  2. #2

    Default currant status

    Didn't know you needed a permit to carry a berry 8*). No permit is actually required. Just be sure and make it known that you have a loaded weapon on your person or in your vehicle if stopped by LE. Know where you are definitely not allowed to carry. Some people like to have a permit in cae of traveling in another state that honors it.

  3. #3

    Default

    Whats a berry 8*?

  4. #4

    Default Not needed

    The CC permit is not needed any more in Anchorage or anywhere in Alaska. It does help when purchasing some firearms as it eliminates the extended wait time (which really ends up being almost nothing anyway). As mauserboy said, the biggest help is that it grants you reciprocity in other state that do still require a CC permit. All limitations to concealed carry still apply whether you have one or not, such as not being allowed to carry in schools, federal buildings, bars, etc...

  5. #5
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    That was just a friendly poke at your spelling. Currant is a type of berry. The correct spelling is current. The "8*)" is html code for . It just didn't come out that way. But back on the topic, I was under the impression that CC is legal in Alaska without a permit. I'm sure there are some places where it's not allowed though - probably worth looking into if you're going to carry. Personally, I only carry for animal protection when out in the woods. Military folks are not allowed to carry CC by order of our post commander.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    That was just a friendly poke at your spelling. Currant is a type of berry. The correct spelling is current. The "8*)" is html code for . It just didn't come out that way. But back on the topic, I was under the impression that CC is legal in Alaska without a permit. I'm sure there are some places where it's not allowed though - probably worth looking into if you're going to carry. Personally, I only carry for animal protection when out in the woods. Military folks are not allowed to carry CC by order of our post commander.
    Yes sir I see it. More important,thanks for putting your butt on the line. I wonder about open Carry though-I know it was illegal in Anchorage years ago,but not sure about now.

  7. #7

    Default Legal

    Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Yes sir I see it. More important,thanks for putting your butt on the line. I wonder about open Carry though-I know it was illegal in Anchorage years ago,but not sure about now.
    Open carry is legal everywhere concealed carry is legal. Check out the muni site for concealed carry information (http://www.muni.org/apd1/ccw.cfm) and the Municipal Codes for other firearm codes (http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...id=12717&sid=2) section 8.25.

    To quote from the site:

    "
    DO:
    • If contacted by a peace officer, immediately inform him/her that you are in possession of a firearm or deadly weapon.
    • If contacted by a peace officer, allow the officer to secure the deadly weapon during the duration of the contact.
    • Pay attention to posted signs prohibiting concealed firearms on premises of any building or residence that you may visit.
    DONíT:
    • Knowingly carry a concealed weapon within the grounds of or the parking lot immediately adjacent to public/private schools, licensed daycare facilities, federal, city, and state buildings, domestic violence shelters, airports, and courthouses.
    • In a bar or restaurant: It is illegal to carry a loaded gun into a place where liquor is sold for consumption on the premises, except in a restaurant if the person carrying the gun has not consumed alcohol.
    • Bring a concealed weapon on your person into the residence of another person without first obtaining the express permission of an adult residing at the residence."
    Hope that helps.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Marshall
    Posts
    1,975

    Red face I understand...

    LEO saftey, but what's the use of having an armed society, when you have to "give up" your arms to LE when you're CCing/open carrying? I suppose if there's an armed revolution, then things maybe different eh?

  9. #9
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Open carry is legal everywhere concealed carry is legal. Check out the muni site for concealed carry information (http://www.muni.org/apd1/ccw.cfm) and the Municipal Codes for other firearm codes (http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...id=12717&sid=2) section 8.25.

    To quote from the site:

    "

    DO:
    • If contacted by a peace officer, immediately inform him/her that you are in possession of a firearm or deadly weapon.
    • If contacted by a peace officer, allow the officer to secure the deadly weapon during the duration of the contact.
    • Pay attention to posted signs prohibiting concealed firearms on premises of any building or residence that you may visit.
    DONíT:
    • Knowingly carry a concealed weapon within the grounds of or the parking lot immediately adjacent to public/private schools, licensed daycare facilities, federal, city, and state buildings, domestic violence shelters, airports, and courthouses.
    • In a bar or restaurant: It is illegal to carry a loaded gun into a place where liquor is sold for consumption on the premises, except in a restaurant if the person carrying the gun has not consumed alcohol.
    • Bring a concealed weapon on your person into the residence of another person without first obtaining the express permission of an adult residing at the residence."
    Hope that helps.

    That goes for YOUR car or truck also. in short... GUNS and ALCOHOL>.. poor choice. guaranteed to get you in troubel....I stated this in the other thread ....

    i have SEVERAL clients who had Weapons misconduct charges, when arrested for DWI.. simply because the weapon was in the vehicle. lost weapon as well...

    so in short... if your going out to dinner or else where JUST leave it home. ONE Drink can get you in trouble.. I have BAC results from 3 beers in three hours on my office wall.... stop by any time... but trust me when i say. it takes less then any one thinks.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  10. #10

    Default

    In addition: As the crop of CC permits with NICS exemptions expires, so does the NICS exemption and it cannot be renewed. Any CC permit renewal will not garner a NICS exemption.

    Alaska state law requires that one must be a resident of the state, at least 21 years old and otherwise be able to legally posses a firearm in order to CC.

    The phone number for the Alaska State Troopers concealed carry permit office is 907-269-0392 if you have anymore questions.

  11. #11
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Didn't know you needed a permit to carry a berry 8*).

    I did laugh though!!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    201

    Default

    **ANYONE** 21 or older may CC, Alaskan or not, permit or not.

    from http://www.dps.state.ak.us/Statewide...dhandguns.aspx :
    "Alaska Statute 11.61.220 allows anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit."

    Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    ...
    Alaska state law requires that one must be a resident of the state, at least 21 years old and otherwise be able to legally posses a firearm in order to CC.
    ...

  13. #13

    Default

    **ANYONE** 21 or older may CC, Alaskan or not, permit or not.

    from http://www.dps.state.ak.us/Statewide...dhandguns.aspx :
    "Alaska Statute 11.61.220 allows anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit."

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 338WM
    ...
    Alaska state law requires that one must be a resident of the state, at least 21 years old and otherwise be able to legally posses a firearm in order to CC.
    Interesting, you know I posted that immediately after talking to a rep. at the trooper office at the phone # I posted and he said " AK resident". Just goes to show that it is best to get more than one source.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eielson AFB
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    That was just a friendly poke at your spelling. Currant is a type of berry. The correct spelling is current. The "8*)" is html code for . It just didn't come out that way. But back on the topic, I was under the impression that CC is legal in Alaska without a permit. I'm sure there are some places where it's not allowed though - probably worth looking into if you're going to carry. Personally, I only carry for animal protection when out in the woods. Military folks are not allowed to carry CC by order of our post commander.
    I believe it is just Army that can't CC. I know Air Force personnel can CC, but not on base.

  15. #15
    Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Open carry is legal everywhere concealed carry is legal. Check out the muni site for concealed carry information (http://www.muni.org/apd1/ccw.cfm) and the Municipal Codes for other firearm codes (http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...id=12717&sid=2) section 8.25.

    To quote from the site:

    "
    DO:
    • If contacted by a peace officer, immediately inform him/her that you are in possession of a firearm or deadly weapon.
    • If contacted by a peace officer, allow the officer to secure the deadly weapon during the duration of the contact.
    • Pay attention to posted signs prohibiting concealed firearms on premises of any building or residence that you may visit.
    DONíT:
    • Knowingly carry a concealed weapon within the grounds of or the parking lot immediately adjacent to public/private schools, licensed daycare facilities, federal, city, and state buildings, domestic violence shelters, airports, and courthouses.
    • In a bar or restaurant: It is illegal to carry a loaded gun into a place where liquor is sold for consumption on the premises, except in a restaurant if the person carrying the gun has not consumed alcohol.
    • Bring a concealed weapon on your person into the residence of another person without first obtaining the express permission of an adult residing at the residence."
    Hope that helps.
    Municipal code for the carriage of firearms is irrelevant per the passage of Municipal Preemption, except for the discharge of firearms. Anchorage cannot pass any restrictions that are stronger than state law. There is nothing I see in state firearms law pertaining to off-limits locations that include airports, state, or municipal buildings. The others are indeed listed.

    I am not a lawyer.

  16. #16
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpalmatier View Post
    I believe it is just Army that can't CC. I know Air Force personnel can CC, but not on base.
    I stand corrected. I was considering going blue, too. My age disqualified me for active duty though.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,637

    Default

    Last summer in Fairbanks, while shopping about I saw at least 3 open carry that day.

    It's great to be around safe, responsible strangers.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    That was just a friendly poke at your spelling. Currant is a type of berry. The correct spelling is current. The "8*)" is html code for . It just didn't come out that way. But back on the topic, I was under the impression that CC is legal in Alaska without a permit. I'm sure there are some places where it's not allowed though - probably worth looking into if you're going to carry. Personally, I only carry for animal protection when out in the woods. Military folks are not allowed to carry CC by order of our post commander.
    Is that just on base,or every where?

  19. #19
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Is that just on base,or every where?
    That's everywhere. I think the reasoning is that too many of the younger, "less restrained" folks would carry concealed, then get themselves in trouble. I personally don't carry for a couple reasons - it's the rule, and I have a wife who isn't subject to it. If I ever need a gun for defense, my wife will hand over hers. (I certainly am not going to hide behind her and let her do the shooting.) I do still carry for animal protection while out in the woods though. I seriously doubt the post commander would have an issue with that.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    That's everywhere. I think the reasoning is that too many of the younger, "less restrained" folks would carry concealed, then get themselves in trouble. I personally don't carry for a couple reasons - it's the rule, and I have a wife who isn't subject to it. If I ever need a gun for defense, my wife will hand over hers. (I certainly am not going to hide behind her and let her do the shooting.) I do still carry for animal protection while out in the woods though. I seriously doubt the post commander would have an issue with that.
    Thanks. I stirred up quite a hornets nest on another gun forum quoting you on this issue. Some think a post commander doesn't have that sort of authority regarding off base activity, but obviously he can. Happy hunting when you get home to AK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •