Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hunting reg that really urks me!

Default hunting reg that really urks me!

I know this has been beat to death in past threads or at least I think it has but resident qualifying as a guide for a family member in the second degree of kindred rule is just plain dumb! I have a cousin who comes up every year to hunt with me and Dall Sheep his dream. He cant use me as his guide because he is my cousin. Even though he is more qualified to hunt up here and Sheep for that matter than any other person in my entire second degree of kindred family he cannot. So a guy who knows nothing about hunting can move here and soon after qualify to be a guide to his equally ignorant stepdad or father in law who are not even blood related and they can go brown bear, mountain goat, and sheep hunting. Thats just dumb! Either they need to eliminate non residents using family members as guides or they need to have an application process/test/class in order to screen who is guiding and hunting. I know this has to piss off other people on here and frankly Ive been waiting for a change in this reg but it still remains. Has anyone heard of any plans of this ever being changed? Man it just infuriates me! And so ends my rant.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so divorce your wife and marry your cousins sister....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    dang, you beat me to it... I would agree perhaps a marriage of convenience is in order... Just tell him to be careful and get a prenup! Don't want his budget sheep hunt to cost him 1/2 his stuff!!!

Default now ur thinkin

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    My cousin doesn't have a sister but your on the right track. Their has to be a way!

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    I know this has been beat to death in past threads or at least I think it has but resident qualifying as a guide for a family member in the second degree of kindred rule is just plain dumb! I have a cousin who comes up every year to hunt with me and Dall Sheep his dream. He cant use me as his guide because he is my cousin. Even though he is more qualified to hunt up here and Sheep for that matter than any other person in my entire second degree of kindred family he cannot. So a guy who knows nothing about hunting can move here and soon after qualify to be a guide to his equally ignorant stepdad or father in law who are not even blood related and they can go brown bear, mountain goat, and sheep hunting. Thats just dumb! Either they need to eliminate non residents using family members as guides or they need to have an application process/test/class in order to screen who is guiding and hunting. I know this has to piss off other people on here and frankly Ive been waiting for a change in this reg but it still remains. Has anyone heard of any plans of this ever being changed? Man it just infuriates me! And so ends my rant.

Hope you wait a long time.
    Tim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

My cousin doesn't have a sister but your on the right track. Their has to be a way!
    ( edited for content by vince.....)...

Adam Sandler had a movie on it not to long ago.... he was a fireman
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default please explain

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Hope you wait a long time.
    Why? You dont think that regulation has some flaws?

Default Move here

It sounds like your cousin is the one with a problem, time for some pressure. Tell him to move, it sounds like he loves it here. This is the reason I'm here. I would have never been able to afford to hunt some of the game here as a non-resident. Hey he could move in with you!

Great input MIT. Your point of view is so clear. Your reasons for your opinion are very articulate and based on a firm foundation of fact. Thanks for your time.

Default im trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Gameon375 View Post
    It sounds like your cousin is the one with a problem, time for some pressure. Tell him to move, it sounds like he loves it here. This is the reason I'm here. I would have never been able to afford to hunt some of the game here as a non-resident. Hey he could move in with you!
    Yeah ive been trying that for 8 yrs. He cant leave his sacred Muskie's. Really in favor of the sheep and the resident sheep hunters the whole relative guide thing should be stopped all together IMO. But if it stays then I say put some in sort of screening process so we dont have 3/4 curl killers that are not experienced enough to be judging a sheep let alone guiding someone else. I dunno... it sucks but I figure we can do a sheep/caribou combo maybe and he will just hafta watch me get mine. If he wants one bad enough he'll just hafta save up $10,000.

I think the law that lets you guide your close relatives as a way to get by the Guide $$$ is fine.
    The idea is that someone with local knowlage and experiance is there to help them, who are not full of local knowlage, even if they have every wall of their lodge coverd with world wide hunts.......and you do actually have to be "There" with the relative, so it makes sense to me.

Too bad the state dosnt think your cousin is close enough in relation. That sux.
    Tell him to forget the Muskies and think "Kings" "Sheefish" "Halibut" "Silvers" ect.ect.ect....and the hunting.....

Good luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

If no sister, does he have a brother?

Two comments:

Read this morning's ADN 7/9 and read about the two campers that got dropped off in SW Alaska and lasted one day because the sun was long and hot.....so they tripped their locator beacon....the law is intended to prevent some of this.....

You cousin would be really irritated if he hired a sheep guide and it turned out to be his neighbor in L48.....legal?.....yup!

Why? You dont think that regulation has some flaws?
    Yep the law is just fine.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    Great input MIT. Your point of view is so clear. Your reasons for your opinion are very articulate and based on a firm foundation of fact. Thanks for your time.
    Thanks, I said it all with one sentence.
    Tim

Default kindred

The law does work, but I find some things humorous. My son grew up in AK and took his first sheep with me when he was twelve. Over the years he took a total of 5-6 sheep. Now he has moved to the lower 48, but periodically he does return to hunt sheep with me. We have no problem with the requirement that he needs to purchase a non-resident license. But it is very hard to find that he must either have a guide or hunt with his sister or myself when I have seen non-residents being guided by assistant guides who themselves are non-residents, and are up here for the first time in their life guiding others while sheep hunting. My son has far more experience than many assistant guides on AK sheep hunting.

There is no real problem since I would fly us out and hunt with him anyway and his sister, although she has not taken a sheep, has been on a number of sheep hunts both with me and him and enjoys going with either of us.

I do think that anyone doing any guiding (or assistant guiding) for those species requiring a guide, should be an AK resident and should have previously hunted that species themselves. This remark is really directed primarily at assistant guides.

My mom is #9 of nine kids and I have about fifty cousins and could end up guideing more than the person tring to do it for a liveing.JMHO but there is alot more stuff in the regs to be corrected before looking at this. You could always work on starting the journey to become a guide

Driveacub...I think you're spot on.

I think it could use some tweeking. I wil say that I don't get why an in-law is in and a cousin is out. I would rather see immediate blood related only, but I suppose that would have problems also. No one will ever be completely happy. I do hope they don't take it away completely, my brother and I have shared alot of memories up here. Not everyone can just up and move here.

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    The law does work, but I find some things humorous. My son grew up in AK and took his first sheep with me when he was twelve. Over the years he took a total of 5-6 sheep. Now he has moved to the lower 48, but periodically he does return to hunt sheep with me. We have no problem with the requirement that he needs to purchase a non-resident license. But it is very hard to find that he must either have a guide or hunt with his sister or myself when I have seen non-residents being guided by assistant guides who themselves are non-residents, and are up here for the first time in their life guiding others while sheep hunting. My son has far more experience than many assistant guides on AK sheep hunting.

There is no real problem since I would fly us out and hunt with him anyway and his sister, although she has not taken a sheep, has been on a number of sheep hunts both with me and him and enjoys going with either of us.

I do think that anyone doing any guiding (or assistant guiding) for those species requiring a guide, should be an AK resident and should have previously hunted that species themselves. This remark is really directed primarily at assistant guides.
    One word...............agreed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast