Thread: Portable Electric Fence for Bears??

Default Portable Electric Fence for Bears??

Hi guys,

I was watching this show on the History channel about these guys looking for big bears in Alaska. I actually have no idea what the shows about, the TV's just on that channel while Im surfing the web.
    Anyways, the guys stayed in a tent overnight and set up this type of portable electric fence to deter bears.

When I was planning for a float trip, I thought of setting something up like this but more as a warning for myself with bells or whatever.

I was just curious to know if any of you have any similar ideas as either warnings or deterrents for bears while sleeping in a tent during a float trip.
    HAve any of you guys carried around portable electric fences for float trips?

Default Electric fences for bears

The portable electric fence is probably the single best non-lethal bear deterrent we have. You can pick up the components you need for about $100 at Home Depot, or you can buy one of the Yellowjacket units. There's a thread on it in the old forums AT THIS LINK. Some even run on a couple of D-cell batteries. It's a great piece of insurance.

Some folks bring three; one for around the raft, another around the meat cache (if you're hunting of course) and the other around the sleeping area. If you put one around your sleeping area, just don't forget where that wire is in the middle of the night, if you have to answer the call of nature... if a.... ah... "stream of moisture" contacts the wire, there will be an electrifying moment. It's a mistake you'll only make once.

Take care,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yeah man. I take one. Made by www.udap.com and weighs under 5 lbs. Great little fence and it packs easy. Below is a picture of ours from a float in NW this past Sept...

It is currently on sale at Cabelas as well...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Good stuff.

Are there any risks for the users? In case it rains hard lets say?

Hey Dan,

Thats funny, I just spent 10 minutes reading testimonials on their website for their pepper spray and their fences.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Yeah man. I take one. Made by www.udap.com and weighs under 5 lbs. Great little fence and it packs easy. Below is a picture of ours from a float in NW this past Sept...

It is currently on sale at Cabelas as well...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Good stuff.

Are there any risks for the users? In case it rains hard lets say?

Aside from Mike's warning I can't think of anything.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

One issue river boaters can have with an electric fence is the poor conduction of some gravel bars. Since most of the time an electric fence uses a good ground for the return electrical conduction leg, if it doesn't conduct well, the fence won't work. I seems that some organic material is needed in the soil, and pure gravel & rocks don't have any.

You might want to bring along a fence tester to make sure it's working. The other method of fence testing has already been mentioned by Mike.

Another option is to use a fence with two conductors for each fence level. More complex and bulky to do it this way though.

I used mine on gravel on my last trip. It worked and I tested it the old fashioned way. But Jim is certainly correct about the issue of poor grounding in gravel bars. I got a great tip from Stid2677 (moderator) the other day addressing this very issue. He suggested using a different set up with the wires/ground explained below....

You have 3 wires. Normally you run the energizer to ground and have all 3 wires hot. Grounded bear touches hot wire ZAP. On gravel bars and sandy soil you get a poor ground. You can use a longer ground rod and pouring water on it helps too. To use the alternating wire method, just setup the fence, hook the positive lead from the energizer to the top wire, hook the ground to the center and run a jumper wire from the top wire to the bottom wire. Now the top and bottom are hot and the middle is the ground.

This one is at Trustworthy in Soldotna for $200 still, best buy around for all the components in a small package: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=35544

<<<<<One issue river boaters can have with an electric fence is the poor conduction of some gravel bars.>>>>

i've talked with the UDAP folks about this. their fence runs the top two wires hot and the bottom one as a ground. so, even on gravel one should be ok.

the other issue is to make sure you don't have any willows, etc. near the fence that might come in contact with the hot wires, thus providing a path to ground.