Thread: Russian River Help

Default Russian River Help

If I tie a piece of yarn to a #2 hook in the knot of the hook is that legal in the fly fishing only area?

I was planning on using those and also some Russian River Flies I purchase when I get up there.

I would use about a 5 foot leader tied to a silicone tube lead dropper so I can loose the weight without the gear and adjust the weight fairly easily.

Will that work?

Thanks
    Cody

Default nope!

it is my understanding that yarn and a hook does not a fly make. I would try to hit sportsmans warehouse. Coho/russian river flies are .18 cents. If you are going to fish the russian,the more flies the better. lots of rocks and snapped leaders. I found that I rarely loose gear in the Kenai.

Hope this helps.

Default What is a fly...........

Quote Originally Posted by cody View Post
    If I tie a piece of yarn to a #2 hook in the knot of the hook is that legal in the fly fishing only area?

I was planning on using those and also some Russian River Flies I purchase when I get up there.

I would use about a 5 foot leader tied to a silicone tube lead dropper so I can loose the weight without the gear and adjust the weight fairly easily.

Will that work?

Thanks
    Cody
    You can tie yarn on a hook and consider it a fly, or even just fly tying thread on hook, that legally consitutes the definition of a fly... So just use a vice and tie the yarn on w/ thread, instead of a egg loop not. Better yet just tie the thread onto the hook, and yes that is a fly. Eat your heart out purists.

Thanks For The Advice

Quote Originally Posted by cody View Post
    Cody
    I have had good luck with 3/4 oz. rubber core sinkers (plus a pack of bigger sizes and a pack of smaller sizes and maybe some split shots to add a bit more weight if you think you need it, but 3/4 is a pretty good starting point) they are really quick to change and once you are dialed in you will be on the fish. IMHO you don't need to be right on the bottom for reds so the dropper is more of a potential problem than it's worth, you will only be fishing about ten or fifteen feet of the water that is right in front of you and the extra dropper on a line can flip around and be a pain in the *****. A rubber core in-line is pretty effective and efficient, most people you will see will probably be using that. You will also want to use pretty heavy gear because you won't have room to play a fish because people will be fishing pretty close to you.
    Last edited by moose-head; 07-09-2009 at 17:54. Reason: typo
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer