Thread: 2nd run kenai reds

Default 2nd run kenai reds

So I've heard the first run of reds is mainly bound for the Russian and the second are mostly Kenai reds. Where are the kenai reds all headed to? Do they all head up to Kenai Lake?

Just wondering if the 5000 or so a day counted at the weir can be picked off around the ferry, Jims landing area. Or if a substantial amount stop at Skilak or anywhere else along the way.

Typically where is the most productive place to catch the second run?

Default From A-Z

People fish the second run just about all the way from the Mouth of the Kenai River in Kenai to the Kenai Lake. Yes Standard Spots Jim's Sportsmans, Ferry etc.. nomrall all produce fish. A lot of Drift boat guides stop about a mile above the Bridge by the Russian and fish them as well. You should be fine hitting them any place you see a large group of people :-)

Default Reds second run

They head just about every area along the Kenai rRver Drainage system. Typically, fishing does not pick up until 30,000 or so a day. Less than that you can pick up fish but it takes a while.

Also, the counts at the weir mean that they may not be to the spot that you are fishing (ex. may take two, three, seven days to get to the spots you area fishing).

Good luck!

When are you going, timing is everything.I plan to be up there on the 29th of July, should be hot then. I have a few spots I like to fish and always get my limit,

Send me a message and i will help you out if i can.

If I"m not mistaken the weir is below the Soldotna bridge a couple miles. With that in mind if you see alot of fish passing it on the previous day don't count on seeing those fish in the upper part of the river to soon.

Typically the last 2 weeks of July are the best times to go but I usually look for the days when 30,000-100,000 fish have gone through so it doesn't take all day to catch fish.

Default Not a weir, but sonar and fish wheels..

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    If I"m not mistaken the weir is below the Soldotna bridge a couple miles. With that in mind if you see alot of fish passing it on the previous day don't count on seeing those fish in the upper part of the river to soon.

Typically the last 2 weeks of July are the best times to go but I usually look for the days when 30,000-100,000 fish have gone through so it doesn't take all day to catch fish.

The ADFG comm fish sockeye sonar is river mile 19.5 just above Slikok Cr and just below the Soldotna Sports Center. Fish counts are estimated by sonar and spp composition is determinded by fish Wheels on both banks. Under some water conditions fish are greatly under of over counted..