Thread: FOB users unite II

Thumbs up FOB users unite II

Let's reopen this gathering place.

Here's my rig with alternating orange and green FOBs.

Taylor

-[]------->

Default Smallest FOB'ed bear of 2009?

Is there a prize for that?
    Monday morning my wife yelled that there was a bear coming down the trail toward the house. By the time I got out to the porch with my bow, the bear had stopped to admire my bag target 20 yards away. She gave me a broadside opportunity and I let loose a FOB'ed arrow with a Slick Trick broadhead on the end of it. It ran the other direction for a couple of seconds and dropped 15 yards away, belting out some pretty wicked tunes as it thrashed around for a few seconds. Packed and froze the meat, got the hide and skull sealed, (found out about the new harvest ticket requirement - who reads the new regs till moose season?) and I'm now working on the hide. Must have been a garbage bear since I've been picking somebody's #7 1/2 shot out of the hide. This is my first bear and my first bow kill bigger than a grouse. I like porch hunting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, I'll ask. Whats a FOB?

A FOB is a plastic whirly-gig that fits between your nock and your arrow to make it spin. I'm a newbie to archery and got tired of fletching arrows and I'm no good at it. Arrows with FOBs on them can roll around in my soft case and I don't have to worry about bent fletches. I find they give me more consistent accuracy especially at longer ranges. You can read about them at starrflight.com. Lots of marketing hype there, but they do work good for me and I'm sticking with them. A drop-away rest is required to use FOBs. Mine is a Ripcord.

Default affected by wind?

How are the FOBs affected by wind as contrasted with vanes? How heavy are they? I have never weighed vanes, but what is the comparison?
    I really don't seem to have issues with vanes, why switch?

Thumbs up

A bear without leaving the driveway would surely be a trophy! Congrat's!

Taylor

-[]------->

Default I'm sold

I'm sold on the FOBs. Only problem is - i need more of them. Can you help me out Mark?

jeff

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I like mine too...

but i still like fletching for the kids.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    How are the FOBs affected by wind as contrasted with vanes?
    They are affected less by crosswinds than vanes are, due to the fact that they have less surface area.

I haven't made a kill with mine yet, but I made the switch and am happy that I did.

I've ruined a whole tube of FOBS and destroyed 3 brand new carbon arrows using them. Do not, and I repeat, do not try to group your arrows when using FOBS because it can get expensive!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I've ruined a whole tube of FOBS and destroyed 3 brand new carbon arrows using them. Do not, and I repeat, do not try to group your arrows when using FOBS because it can get expensive!!
    Thanks to people like you sharing such expensive wisdom, I haven't tried grouping mine at all. Thankfully, I haven't broken one FOB yet. If I did, though, maybe I could get some cooler colors like what Marc has up there.

So I have a brand new bow for about 2 months now and haven't shot it. I know I know shame on me. But I am thinking of switching to 100% FOBs with this setup. I shoot the small diameter "full metal jacket" arrows. Marc, can ya hook me up with some FOBs for the small diameter arrows, oh and I need some more TAG bags too.

Default Colors

I have Red, Green, Orange and Pink left ... I shoot ... I am cool like that! (and I can find the easier)

FOBs and TAG Bags... Got 'em and Got 'em!

Happy to see you've got both feet onboard, Paul! Push 'em hard!

Taylor

-[]------->

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Marc, can ya hook me up with some FOBs for the small diameter arrows
    Not 'till he gets mine in first ...already been on the wait list

Man, you just post about waiting for FOBs and like magic, you get a call and they're here! Thanks, Mark. Looking forward to stringing up the Parker and letting these babies fly!