Thread: Grab your dipnets boys and girls

Default Grab your dipnets boys and girls

It's dipping season. I'm hitting it Friday on the opener; there's just too much good data to not go at this point. SW winds all last week and all this week; (no it does not blow under water but it does blow the top and create a surface current... verify here: http://oceanmotion.org/html/backgrou...en-surface.htm) OTF counts 100+ a few days in a row... my fillet knife is sharp, I have cash for the sand animals to carry my coolers, Kenai Keeper is clean and free of kinks, ice is being made as we speak.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    I have cash for the sand animals to carry my coolers,
    Uh....sand animals? Care to clarify?

I'd be tempted to hit the opener as well, but my schedule is screwy due to the in-laws being in town. I think we're going to try to hit it sometime around the 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Uh....sand animals? Care to clarify?

I'd be tempted to hit the opener as well, but my schedule is screwy due to the in-laws being in town. I think we're going to try to hit it sometime around the 15th.
    The big hulking young guys that don't dip but are there camping with family. Slide them a $10 bill for hauling your cooler and they are happy to receive dough and you are saved from sweating/pulling your heavy coolers. I've been doing this for years (since my knee went gimpy on me).

I'm cautiously optimistic about the opener; the data is there but so are the commercials - we'll see how many fish make it to the river I guess. I'll let everyone know how it is once I'm down there.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Good luck Robb. I'll be missing this weekend. Clever on the cooler "caddies". Dragging a full cooler in the sand is a drag. When alone, I've used beers as the medium of exchange. Sadly I haven't had the full cooler problem yet this year.

Default You liked that wind joke huh? LOL

Wish I could go but gotta get my halibut first. Then we plan to hit it. The numbers do look great. So when the wind is out of the south got it!

I'm tentatively going to wait about 10 days. The 20th to the 30th is my target days. Things could change though depending on run timing and strength. Here's the run chart....somebody usually posts this every year, so it may already be posted somewhere.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...kenaisock.html

I don't worry about heavy coolers, I'm a boat guy. If you see a 15' Zodiac with a 50 horse Honda that's me, say hello. Good luck to the early birds, keep us posted.