Thread: Riding ATV/CAMPING in Eureka

Default Riding ATV/CAMPING in Eureka

I've been through Eureka, but never ridden atvs/camp there. Any recommendations on where to camp and ride atvs? Also, what trails should we take since this is our first trip there...what you recommend!

Are you planning on riding in then camping? You could camp at the old mine along Tyone Creek or in that general area, some pretty nice spots back there.

Anyone know how Eureka is for dust? We're thinking of heading up there this weekend. We're hoping that in comparison to some of the other trails it might not be too dusty?
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I have a friend that was up there working the last 3 days, he told me it's been very hot up and there and dry. My best guess is that it will be very dusty but I wouldn't let that stop you, just wear some goggles.

Camping at Eureka you have several options...

You can camp at Eureka lodge (tent/RV/rent a cabin) with power hookups or you can travel just past Eureka lodge to the gravel pit on the north side of the hwy (this is where the north side trailhead is located that takes you to 4 Corners and Monument Mt...great riding!!!). There is an upper and lower level to this gravel pit. The upper level gets busy with ATVs/RVs/Trucks..etc (can be windy, dusty, and noisy at times). The lower level is quieter but can fill with water pretty fast after a storm so be careful where you park. Additionally, there is another gravel pit farther up the road (about 2 or 3 miles) on the south side of the hwy. The gravel pit is larger and more condusive to family camping/riding. It too, can be windy and dusty at times but offers a couple areas to get out of the wind on the lower levels or near the tree line. This is where I camp when riding Eureka. You can drive right from camp to the trailhead using existing road side trails...you can drive right up to the lodge for a great meal on your quads as well at the end of the day. Lastly, you always have the option of riding in and tent camping from the trail head.

As far as riding goes...some of the most fun trails around. Plenty of mud, climbs, rocks, wildlife, ruts (from 4x4 trucks)...etc. Trails are marked well but carry a GPS if you dont have anyone familiar with the area in your group. You can get turned around and can get lost so stick to the main trail at first. 4x4 ATVs are suggested but not required from the trail head to the "little nilchena" river. We made it all the way to "Monument" last Sunday with a 9 year old on a 90cc Outlaw (2wd). That being said, dont underestimate the trail...some of the climbs are steep and some of the mud/water holes can swallow a quad/UTV.

I plan on camping/riding up there again the weekend of 25 July. PM me if you want to tag along. I will be RV camping behind the Eureka Lodge that weekend versus staying at the gravel pits because Performance Yamaha of Wasilla will be hosting their annaul "Poker Run" from the lodge. Staying at the lodge allows me to stumble back to the 5th wheel and not have to look for a ride back to the camper) after a few beers at the end of the day. You dont have to camp near us if you dont want to but we could meet up for the ride at least up to "4 corners" on that Saturday. Be warned though there will be traffic on the trail that weekend due to the "Poker Run".

Like I said before, dust can ba an issue. It has been very warm up there (like everywhere else) but we had thunder showers up there all weekend around 4 - 6pm. They were spotty and only lasted a short time but dumped a good amount of rain where they hit. That helped with the dust in some places...would hate to get caught on the trail when they hit!

Hope this helps!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

forgot to add...cell phone coverage is great at the lodge and trail head gravel pit. It is great most places on the trail as well...especially, the farther and higher you go toward Monument Mt. (4700 ft give or take). Cell coverage is spotty to non-existant at best at the south side gravel pit farther up the road.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

How busy does it get during the week? My Dad, brother, son and I are going up there for a few days the week of the 27th. Also, how many miles is it back to Monument? It has been a couple of years since I was out there and we only went about 10 to 15 miles back.

Thanks,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Are you planning on riding in then camping? You could camp at the old mine along Tyone Creek or in that general area, some pretty nice spots back there.

How long of a drive is it to this area? I would love to camp somewhere other than right next to the road.

I think that the smoke will be a real issue up there this weekend. We were on the Denali Hwy (about 60 miles north or Eureka) last weekend, and the haze/smoke level was about the same there as Anchorage is now. However, when we drove home Sunday, the Anchorage visibility was considerably better than in the central part of the state.

In other words, if it's this bad in town now, I imagine that it's noticeably worse up there.

Default Camping in the Eureka area

Check out the Eureka Lodge website, they post the weather and trail stuff. Smoky right now due to the forest fires.
    As to camping, I only camp in there 20-50 miles in, so it sounds as if I am no help to you. I do not do trailhead camping. Thats for the camper folks.
    Pretty hard to describe the choice spots unless you have been in a few times.
    Good luck on your ventures.

We'll be up there tomorrow, at parking lot about 10:30am. Blue Chevy pickup with 4 spot ATEC trailer. 3 Yamaha Grizz's aboard. Would love to meet any ATV Club members and forum members, so if you see us and want to say hi, please do.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by Torg84 View Post
    How long of a drive is it to this area? I would love to camp somewhere other than right next to the road.
    Hard to say really but I would guess about 15-20 miles.

My fiance and I rode up there this weekend (Saturday) for the first time. We started from the gravel pull-out left of the highway, about 1-2 miles past the Eureka Lodge, and rode all the way back to 4 posts. Unfortunately, 2 of the rigs with us ended up with punctured tires so that pretty much sealed it for the day.

We opted to take the trail back from 4 posts to the Eureka lodge, limping the injured rigs all the way. For those who think it is dry up there, think again. Thunderstorms have been hitting the area for the last several days. Once we got lower in elevation, the muddy swamps were in full effect! Three of our group were all on 700 Grizzly's, my fiance on an Arctic Cat 400, and me.....well...I was on a Yamaha Blaster. Let's just say it was adventure if nothing else.

It really was a great ride and I can't wait to make it back (on a real 4x4) and explore some of the other trails.

By the way, if EagleRiverDee is Keith's wife, thanks again for showing us a great time. We'd love to do it again!

Martin14-

That's me! Glad you guys were able to join us and that you had a good time anyway. We'll have to remember that lurking rock next time. I had fun!

Went in Sunday morning and came out 9:45 this morning(Thurs.) reaching the pit at 4pm this afternoon. Dusty? A little but oh well. We Put 114 miles on the odometer round trip. Camped up the Big "O",seen quite a few caribou with some really respectible bulls mixed in,2 Grizz,moose,fox(found a den)and caught and released the hell outta the grayling except those that landed on the hibachi.
    4 nights 53 miles back....cant beat it.
    By the way I started a thread about water levels before we left for the trip without any replies....For any one interested its very doable on crossings but of course watch for holes on the Big "O" picking your spots carefully.