Thread: Retuning to 50HP Yamaha

Default Retuning to 50HP Yamaha

Anything special to do?Any adjusting on the new linkage?

I Picked up the parts from River & Sea.Its 2001

Thanks

Nope...it really is that simple on those. Just change out the throttle linkage. Can be easier siad than done. The one bolt is a pia to get at.

Thanks, getting ready to tackle it,I'll see.

I've got a '07 yammie 50 that was detuned to 35 for the kenai and just the other day i made it back into a 50. All i had to do was swap out the "brain box" a simple plug in and the big pita was changing the throttle plate, that one bolt is a bastage to get at. Linkage just snapped off and back on no problem.
    When i bought the rig 2 years ago i asked them at Dewey's if it was going to be a big deal to swap it back to a 50 and you should of heard the pack of lies the salesguy told me about what had to be done by their "technicians". He acted like a mere mortal like me couldn't do it, something about having to recalibrate the engine for the 50hp upgrade. They are like a bunch of crooked used car salesmen at that place in my opinion. Anyway go for it it sure was easy for me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I've got a '07 yammie 50 that was detuned to 35 for the kenai and just the other day i made it back into a 50. All i had to do was swap out the "brain box" a simple plug in and the big pita was changing the throttle plate, that one bolt is a bastage to get at. Linkage just snapped off and back on no problem.
    When i bought the rig 2 years ago i asked them at Dewey's if it was going to be a big deal to swap it back to a 50 and you should of heard the pack of lies the salesguy told me about what had to be done by their "technicians". He acted like a mere mortal like me couldn't do it, something about having to recalibrate the engine for the 50hp upgrade. They are like a bunch of crooked used car salesmen at that place in my opinion. Anyway go for it it sure was easy for me.

Yours is an efi... the older carb motors were even simpler. 1 bolt on a linkage arm and a snap connector on the other end. That was it. I used to swap mine back and for all the time depnding on wether I was on the river or the salt. Spent most of the time on the salt so I really needed and wanted the extra hp. Finally I just quit detuning it and hoped I didn't get caught in a random check. I just would never hit it hard out of the hole, and never ran it past the rpm that it ran at with the 35 linkage in it.