Thread: Avoiding Heat Related Injuries in Dogs

Fairbanks, Alaska

Default Avoiding Heat Related Injuries in Dogs

With the warm-to-hot temperatures in Fairbanks lately, this is worth bringing up. I've heard of some dogs dying of heat stroke up here this year & this article is written by a veterinarian:

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Even here on the 4th

Simply walking a dozen blocks on the 4th of July a dog suffered heat stroke. While this could have been due to several causes, it illustrated that even in 75 degrees and minimal activity a dog could get heat stroke. The shelter vet was walking with us and was right on the problem. He got a ride on the 4wheeler, our big raffle prize, and was fine before they returned to the shelter.

These shelter dogs do not get a lot of exercise, they are amped up with all the excietment, and while water was available before the parade some did not drink. The road surface felt about 100-120 degrees, slightly warmer then my hand. Radiating heat from the road, excietment, out of shape, not acclimated to the warmth as mine are in our big yard seemed to be the cause. The dog was fine and actually adopted the next week.

Not gun dog training but a little slide video is here of the parade.

Default Too Hot

I wrote sometime back about our male lab getting heat stroke on a mid 70 degree day. His temps were recorded at 109.6 degrees. Yes, you read that right. That temperature is the highest ever recorded in a dog that survived. By all rights he should be dead. Thank goodness for a great vet team over at Mt. McKinley Animal Hospital, and that they had the right drugs and equipment on site.
    Since then we have been quite cautious. Even so, on the 4th we took our year old female for a walk up and over the ridge behind the cabin. She did her typical run like crazy everywhere so she could see it all. On top she started to stress. She was panting very hard, and starting to produce foam around the mouth. We got her cooled down a bit with water on her ears, feet, and major arteries. Once she was a bit settled, we worked our way down off the ridge and to the cabin where she could swim. It all worked out ok.