Thread: Torching the hair

Default Torching the hair

Just wondering if anyone has tried torching the hair off of game meat once its hanging. I was told it is very effective and is much more enjoyable than picking off each individual hair. Any success with this?

Default Works great!

Just use a small butane torch and quickly pass over the meat while hanging. The hair just shrivels away to nothing.....

Works very well IMO.

Default works great

Yup works great, just brush off the meat after you torch it. Make sure to keep the flame moving so you don't cook the outside portion of the meat.

Interesting idea. I do my best to keep hair off the meat in the first place, but sometimes a trick like this would come in handy. Thanks for the info!

What about the smell tainting the meat?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Thumbs up

Nope I use my weed burner it covers a large area just enough to burn the hair and start tightening the skin. I never have tasted a thing seeings I trim an 1/8 inch off before I slab the meat off anyways
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Propane

I have used a propane torch for years and it works great like everyone said. No taste and it burns it so fast you don't have to stay in one spot. I always try to keep the hair off but knowing it burns off easily makes skinning faster. I have used this mainly on deer when hanging. Mark

Wow, this is new to me....never heard of this! Might have to give it a whirl..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i prefer to use the epicure to pluck the....oh

sorry,game meat..........

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Moose and caribou like to cover themselves in urine when they are in rut. For proper meat care it is best to keep all hair off of the meat. Yes you can remove the top layer of meat and hope you get all the bacteria off the meat. Do you really want moose piss on your meat?

Tips:
    Cutting the hide from the skin side will keep you from getting hair on the meat.
    A small tarp helps keep meat clean.
    The neck meat is the strongest tasting meat in a moose or caribou. It can be so strong it can contaminate the other meat. I have a small meat bag that I put only the neck meat in.

That trick works great for hogs in Texas that are notorious for being covered in bugs!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Moose and caribou like to cover themselves in urine when they are in rut. For proper meat care it is best to keep all hair off of the meat. Yes you can remove the top layer of meat and hope you get all the bacteria off the meat. Do you really want moose piss on your meat?

Tips:
    Cutting the hide from the skin side will keep you from getting hair on the meat.
    A small tarp helps keep meat clean.
    The neck meat is the strongest tasting meat in a moose or caribou. It can be so strong it can contaminate the other meat. I have a small meat bag that I put only the neck meat in.

on that... you REALLY!!! want to avoid hunting BOU in the rut ... unlike deer, Elk, moose...

you will have a hard time eating bou in rut... the dogs will barley touch it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default new Shave technique

put splash some rubbing alcohol on the area of your face or body you want hairless, and then quickly before it evaporates, put the Bic lighter to it....
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default plucker turned torcher....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    put splash some rubbing alcohol on the area of your face or body you want hairless, and then quickly before it evaporates, put the Bic lighter to it....
    Max

Max, you had better inject a disclaimer here.
    I'd hate to read that Vince did lasting damage while maintaining his...um...hair removal.

Man, that paints a bad mental picture....