Thread: Willow creek summer fun

Default Willow creek summer fun

I joined Jim and Brandon Gonski for a run down the guardrail for a way to cool off/escape the heat. I just had shorts and a tee shirt under my drysuit, Jim and Brandon decided to try it without a drysuit. The water was so warm Brandon ended up going for a swim in the deep hole below 180 wave, this global warming stuff is ok in some ways.
    Anyway! the creek is running low about 400- 450 cfs, but is fun as always, Take your swim trunks/ no skinny dipping the white glare off an alaskans buttocks could blind someone in the bright sunshine

Default strainer gone

I recently ran the guardrail section and it appeared the strainer above 180 wave has broken off. I naturally took the boulder sneak but looked over and was surprised it had broken off.
    Saw a nice swim in house rapid, and as usual we had fun.

Default 2010 season May 14th

Willow is open and flowing at 250-400 cfs, depending on weather. I scouted the upper guardrail and above to Maxwellhouse/ the waterfall. Some jerk dropped a spruce tree below the falls to gain access to the otherside, but is still safe at lower levels.
    There is no ice visible at the guardrail, and some small ledges at the Redgate takeout/ Shirley Towne.
    We are camping there this weekend for a bunch of kayaking etc., come on up.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by markoathout View Post
    Willow is open and flowing at 250-400 cfs, depending on weather. I scouted the upper guardrail and above to Maxwellhouse/ the waterfall. Some jerk dropped a spruce tree below the falls to gain access to the otherside, but is still safe at lower levels.
    There is no ice visible at the guardrail, and some small ledges at the Redgate takeout/ Shirley Towne.
    We are camping there this weekend for a bunch of kayaking etc., come on up.
    Hey Mark... I'll be flyin' overhead tomorrow en-route to scout the the headwaters of the river we were talkin' about. Check your PM next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Hey Mark... I'll be flyin' overhead tomorrow en-route to scout the the headwaters of the river we were talkin' about. Check your PM next few days.

There are some big ice chunks still in there clogging up tightest spots... once you are walled in - more committing and risky.

Easily seen when flying right on the deck above most technical walled-in pinch spots with gradient drops.

Probably will melt fast... but as of yesterday Ice is stuffing these more demanding little nozzle drops. These slabs are as thick as any tree across.