Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barneys Hunting Clothes

Default Barneys Hunting Clothes

Does anyone have any experince on the Brooks Range pants and Jacket that Barneys sells? Looking for something tough, waterproof, and good for cold weather. Thanks

Default barney's gear

tag;

i own most of the stuff that frontier gear/barney's sells to include the brooks range jacket and optional hood. last month i came back from spending 3 weeks in the mtns. sheep hunting and wore the brooks range coat. superior warmth to weight ratio. i have an older model that has pertex on the inside, the newer models have the pertex on the outisde and inside. these weigh about 1.25. lbs., very light. my coat has camo goretex on the outside and was a limited run for the canadian military. the goretex in place of the pertex makes this coat about 1 pound heavier, it is also more water resistant than the pertex. if you need a coat this warm, then i would spend the $50 for the hood. the hood does not have a great design as it does not have a flap for protecting the lower part of your face. if you don't like it, then zip it off.

bottom line; they are pricey, but very warm and light weight. ideal for mtn. hunting.

stay warm.

Thumbs down

Barneys will never get a penny from me ever again. 2 yrs ago I drew a party permit for east fork Eklunta sheep, first week opener. Went to barneys to pick up a few things, upon walking through the door I am greated like this.

Hi how are you? good thanks, I'm looking for some goopd sheep hunting pants. O' really? Did you draw a permit this year? Yes, drew EFES opener. (and he tells me this) "you're F-ing kiding me! what a A-hole". I've been wanting that tag for years.

I stood there very confused, and finally said well never mind I'll go some were else, thanks. He looked at me like I was a 50yr old friend leaveing his store. Sorry but that was not the customer service I was looking for, and it's to bad because they have some nice gear, a little pricey, but I pay for quality.

Default Barney's gear

I have found from past experience that when I buy gear, I shop around alot and eventually end up with gear from Barneys. When I have bought other gear elsewhere, I have been satisfied with the price but somewhat disappointed with the quality, sometimes very disappointed. Save time and money, ask Bob at Barneys what would work best for you and you save money in the long run.

Akslddg, sorry to hear about your experience at Barney's. I have never found that to be the case. I will pay for quality gear but service has to be good as well.

Default Where do they get it?

Even coming from the lower 48 I am familiar with Barneys and the clothes and camping gear they offer. I find it hard to believe that Barney has a production factory out back and makes things exclusively for his store. However I believe that Barney has a variety of companies that make things for him such as Camp Trails (?) and put his name on them. I don't mean to belittle the store but there has got to be a source of these items from other vendors.

Or, is Barney so attentive to quality that no one else makes their clothing, packs, etc. to that high a standard? I find that hard to believe. So, where else can these be purchased from?

What's the story?

Thumbs up the story, straight from the horses mouth

bob told me more than once over the last ten years that i have been buying from him that the stuff is made for him by select certain co. that make the stuff to his design and specifications.

that being said, your next question. you probably could get a similiar or possbibly exact product from the manufacturer through another source.

i have basically the full line of frontier gear stuff from pack, to sleeping bag and related accesories as well as clothing, if anyone has a specific question. nuff' said.

look at the mountain hardwear lineup. This year sheep hunting I took one jacket. It weighed 1.2 lbs and it was the mst valuable peice of equipment I had.. The ALchemy Jacket. and sporthill pants.. I wore nothing else, except a thermal silk shirt and lowa GXT extremes.

Default Intregal Designs....Barney's has their name sewed on..

The coat and pants that everyone talks about were developed by Evan over in Alberta, Canada. He has always built excellent products...I use his sleeping bags (before Barney's even heard of them) and If I was not so tall I would have one of his single wall tents as well (cost way too much to have new longer templet made)...excellent mountain gear...you can order directly from him and save a little money...there is also a store in Fairbanks that sells Intregal Designs at fare better prices...but Barney's is in town...but the advantage I find by going directly to Intregal is they can custom sew pockets, etc...By the way..Barneys coats, pants and sleeping bags are identical to my Intregal except has his tag sewed on.....Once in Canada I even found a camp trails bag with the same suspension as Barneys and was told Camp Trail could not sell it in America..I guess Camp Trails copied Barney's design, and now they have parted ways I think...I do like Barney's suspensions...

Default Barney's gear

Quote Originally Posted by bizymocha View Post
    Even coming from the lower 48 I am familiar with Barneys and the clothes and camping gear they offer. I find it hard to believe that Barney has a production factory out back and makes things exclusively for his store. However I believe that Barney has a variety of companies that make things for him such as Camp Trails (?) and put his name on them. I don't mean to belittle the store but there has got to be a source of these items from other vendors.

Or, is Barney so attentive to quality that no one else makes their clothing, packs, etc. to that high a standard? I find that hard to believe. So, where else can these be purchased from?

What's the story?
    I've known Bob a long time. He has his gear made at a variety of places. His packs and frames used to be made by Camp Trails and I think the Bombshelter tents were made by Eureka (could be wrong). I think he broke away from Camp Trails a while back because they were selling similar stuff to someone else. Cabela's has attempted to do knock-offs of both the Moose Pack and the Bombshelter tent, Bob's two main products, but they failed, in my opinion. Their gear is nowhere near the quality or durability. I know, because my clients have brought it out on guided hunts and I've watched it fail in the field. Not every time, but often enough.

Bob's goal is to offer top quality custom gear that you can't get somewhere else. He is constantly looking for ways to improve his stuff, whether it's new designs, other manufacturers, or what have you. That's why he's been able to survive WalMart, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc., where others have failed. He has a very strong niche market. Personally I'm willing to spend the extra money for his stuff because I know I won't have to replace it. If something DOES break, he's always taken care of it for me.

I know Bob has been in some people's crosshairs now and then because they don't want to pay his prices. But that's the way free markets work, fellas. Clearly he has a solid customer base. Though he'd like to win some of the naysayers over, he's not going to do it by cheapening his stuff. The fact that he's still here after all these years is a clear indicator of what the market thinks about his prices.

I'm sorry to hear about AKDLSDOG's experience. Sounds like Bob's banter now and then. He would never seriously say something like that to someone, and he was probably shocked that you walked out. I'm sure he felt terrible about it. I've known him a long time, and the last thing he'd do is offfend a customer. I understand your position, but you might talk to him about it. You're missing out on some good stuff in there. Give the guy a chance to make it right.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default same here

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Barneys will never get a penny from me ever again. 2 yrs ago I drew a party permit for east fork Eklunta sheep, first week opener. Went to barneys to pick up a few things, upon walking through the door I am greated like this.

Hi how are you? good thanks, I'm looking for some goopd sheep hunting pants. O' really? Did you draw a permit this year? Yes, drew EFES opener. (and he tells me this) "you're F-ing kiding me! what a A-hole". I've been wanting that tag for years.

I stood there very confused, and finally said well never mind I'll go some were else, thanks. He looked at me like I was a 50yr old friend leaveing his store. Sorry but that was not the customer service I was looking for, and it's to bad because they have some nice gear, a little pricey, but I pay for quality.
    I purchased one item there and decided it would be my last. I felt like I needed a shower after I left, if you know what I mean.

Default barneys

When I first moved to AK a few years ago and went into Barney's, I thought,"Why would I want to pay these prices when I can get gear that seems just as good someplace cheaper." So I did that. I bought cheaper boots, a cabelas pack, REI microfleece pants and an online Sierra Designs tent. And guess what, if I had just bucked up and bought from him in the first place, I would have not only saved money by not rebuying my stuff, but also been a lot more comfortable in the field. The Lowa Sheep Hunter boots he sells are the only boot I've not gotten blisters in on any extended back-packing hunt. The barney's pack is much lighter and more comfortable than the other 5 packs I own. I purchased a pair of their Mtn Hardware cold weather pants, which are absolutely the bomb on a late season sheep hunt compared to microfleece. One of these days I'll be replacing my sierra designs 7 lb tent with his lighter one over there as well. Live and learn. Not saying that you can't do lots of research and find good stuff elsewhere, but bob has what you need over there. And I've never been treated rudely.

I just had to see this Barneys stuff after reading about it on this forum,so one time a couple years ago while making the journey to Anchorage I dropped the old lady off at the Diamond Mall and went to Barneys Sports Chalet expecting something amazing and was very suprised to see this little nook of a store without much in it. I was very let down, extremely high priced items(like the packs) and the only thing I bought was one of the Dark Horse Rifle packers to attach to my Dana Terraframe and it was a POS. I also had a young guy talking to me like I was retarded and I am pretty good about playing it off that I dont know anything just cuz its fun to hear some of the silly stuff guys preach, I do that at Sportsmans too, its really quite fun. I have never been back in there after multiple trips to Anchorage a year. I too felt that the stuff was very overrated and overpriced. I made a trip down the road to REI and got some much needed things. Just dont see all the hooplah over there products. I think the military core gets a lot of influence to go in there from the Anchorage crowd which is probably where he makes a lot of money, I dont know. I usually know what I am looking for in gear and am able to find it with a little research for good prices. I have not been sold on anything Barneys, maybe I am missing out who knows.

Thumbs up

Barney's pack's, Bomb Shelter and Brooks Range jacket's are tops and I've yet to find better, I wish they were still offering the BR with GoreTex , it is excellent! I was happy to see Bob's carrying the Gransfors line of axes too, maybe I'll find one under the Christmas tree this year!

Default Packs, etc.

I think we all go through sticker shock while looking at any product. Why pay $50,000 for a Mercedez SUV when you can get a Ford for $25,000? Whey pay $500 for a pack/frame combo form Barney's when you can get one from Cabelas for $250. Why have a $3500 custom rifle built when you can buy a Savage for $500? I use to buy middle of the line products, thinking that the extra expense for the "overpriced" stuff was not worth it. After replacing the "bargain" products two or three times, I will never skimp on quality again. I have had the Cabelas top of the line pack, and I now have the Barney's. Simply put, they are worth it. I don't know about their private label products, but the name brand products that you find at Barney's are around the same price as any other retailer. Their 3SP Mountain pants are the same as what you can buy them online for (by the way, this is probably the best investment I have made in gear. I will never wear another kind of hunting pant). What you also get with Barney's is advice from somebody who has used the product in the situation you intend to use it. At many other sporting goods retailers you might get to talk to a $8.00/hour part time high school kid who may have gotten to take a product out of the package and look at it. I don't buy all my stuff at Barney's, and all retailers have their niche and serve a certain customer. If you don't want to spend the money, don't. If you think you are more of an expert on gear than Bob, don't take his advice. I just don't see the point in bashing a retailer that is trying to serve the outdoors market in the way he best sees fit. I will say that if you never buy quality because you don't think the cost is justified, you are missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I purchased one item there and decided it would be my last. I felt like I needed a shower after I left, if you know what I mean.
    Yup, and to clear the air, I do not believe it was "BOB", it was his kid. I have never met bob and I have bought a few things there before this day without a problem. I just figure if I am going to spend upwards of a grand of gear that was not the greeting I wish to expect. I am a happy customer with Cabela's, The Sportsmans Warehouse, Campmor and yes I even visit the greenies at R.E.I., They don't care much for hunters but I yet to have bad service.

Their store might have changed since the last time I was in there because there wasn't much in it then. Not bashing the store as I have only been there once just expressing honestly my first and lasting impressions of my one visit there. Spending money isn't a problem blackfoot, that I assure you. And as for knowing more than Bob, I probably dont, but I doubt the young guy that seemed to be half-baked that I talked to was not Bob.

And all I was getting at was that if a guy knows that there are lots of stores that sell great products for outdorrsman such as REI, Northern Mountain Supply, CampMor, Sierra Trading Post, Camp Savers, Ebay (which I love), Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas and even Overstock(picked up 3 Helly Guide coats for less than $50 a piece shipped here) a guy can get great gear for a lot less than marching in to the nearest store and dumping down big bucks. Every thing in our country keeps going up in price except for salaries, so shopping smart when you do spend your hard earned money makes it go a long ways.

Default Competition is good.

Maybe it is time that Cabela's makes a move to Anchorage. It would give Barneys some competition and that is something we all can benefit from.
    While I agree that is is better to buy something once, it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be the most expensive. There is a point of diminishing returns that one must identify when spending money.

Default Another shot at it?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    ...was very suprised to see this little nook of a store without much in it...
    Cub,

You might drop in there one more time, at a different time of year or something. Bob turns his product line over a couple times a year. This time of year he's usually catering to the skiing crowd and may not have a lot of hunting gear around. Then by late spring he's got the tents, sleeping bags, packs and other hunting gear stocked up.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike,
    It was the winter of 2003-2004 when I was in there. Maybe I need to stop in there next time I am down that way.

Default h.h.

akcub;

what was the source for the $50 h.h. guide coats and did they have them in camo?

thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast