Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Careful What you Pack

Default Careful What you Pack

After flying into Dillingham then out in the bush for a spring bear hunt, we needed to call in a flight back to Dillingham after our hunt. Because I had a fair amount of cash ($1,800 in hundred dollar bills), and we were still hunting, I hid it inside a bag and placed it inside my suit case. They could only take our bags and one hunter out and, fortunately or unfortunately we shot another bear that afternoon and didn't get back to Dillingham that night. Our bags were at the carrier at the airport over night. When we arrived the next day I picked up the bag and guess what no cash!! The carrier explained that they basically cover only cloths!! No cash, no cameras etc. etc. So be careful! I have flown over 2 million miles on the airlines and have had 2 problems in the last year. Phone cords stolen in Panama and cash in Alaska!

Congrats on the bear, bummer on the bucks
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Theft from luggage has been a common problem for decades and for some reason has become more common now that TSA is around, even though it is still the airline staff doing the stealing.

Place all your valuables in a lockable box inside your bags. Simple sturdy plastic boxes are easy to come by and will prevent simple thefts of opportunity like this one. There is nothing to stop them from taking the whole box but that is harder to do un noticed than a small wad of cash.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hmmm not TSA? are you sure.. they have keys to every bag ... and those they don't they can break the lock legally..

for instance.. this last trip i hauled home some guns i had in AZ. i checked with TSA in salt lake and had them all inspected. all open actions. mags off the side. in order of appearance. and a box of ammo sitting in the corner of the case..

case inspected, TSA put in an inspection sheet and had me lock it.

when i got home..

all actions were closed all guns were in other orders in the case.. Obviously had been out and "handled" after i left them.

fortunate none were missing.

now my case... key lock latches. with TSA approved combo locks through the key loops... as well the combination lock latches the case was equipped with...

so in all i had 4 case locks(equipped) and 2 additional locks i installed...

i am sure that baggage handler had time to decipher all my codes... and locks...

NAAAAA..... it was a HEY GUYS!!!!! Look what this guy has!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I carry all the most pilferable items with me now. I had about $600 worth of Fluke test equipment grow legs when I redeployed from Iraq in 2005. Sorry for the hit to the wallet but congrats on the bear!

Quote Originally Posted by moogld View Post
    After flying into Dillingham then out in the bush for a spring bear hunt, we needed to call in a flight back to Dillingham after our hunt. Because I had a fair amount of cash ($1,800 in hundred dollar bills), and we were still hunting, I hid it inside a bag and placed it inside my suit case. They could only take our bags and one hunter out and, fortunately or unfortunately we shot another bear that afternoon and didn't get back to Dillingham that night. Our bags were at the carrier at the airport over night. When we arrived the next day I picked up the bag and guess what no cash!! The carrier explained that they basically cover only cloths!! No cash, no cameras etc. etc. So be careful! I have flown over 2 million miles on the airlines and have had 2 problems in the last year. Phone cords stolen in Panama and cash in Alaska!
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Dillingham doesn't exactly run a tight ship on airport security. When I first moved to Dillingham it took a bit getting used to, but its the only option so a person does what they have to do. Not that this makes any difference in the loss of your money, but most of the townsfolk never lock their doors here and I've never felt more comfortable or safe in a community in all my life. Just goes to show there are crooks everywhere I guess. Congrats on the bear--did you hunt towards the lakes or near Koliganek?

About 19 miles NW of Dill. Was surprised by the theft? Come from an area we seldom lock doors, leave stuff in the boat people generally help people etc. Thought the airline should have had more responsiblility, but they didn't and don't ! Was a good hunt regardless! I appreciate the wilderness and it doesn't neccessarily attract the best of people. I understand.

"hmmm not TSA? are you sure.. they have keys to every bag ... and those they don't they can break the lock legally.."

There is a reason that the lock on my gun case is NOT a TSA accessible lock - I want to be there when they unlock the case to "inspect" the contents and once it is relocked...I want it to stay that way. When I hunt far, far away I use a Tuff Pak and had the option of a "TSA lock", which option I did NOT elect since I just don't trust TSA. Most are probably honest and trustworthy, but I am sure NOT ALL, hence my choosing a non-TSA lock. To date I have not regretted that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    "hmmm not TSA? are you sure.. they have keys to every bag ... and those they don't they can break the lock legally.."

There is a reason that the lock on my gun case is NOT a TSA accessible lock - I want to be there when they unlock the case to "inspect" the contents and once it is relocked...I want it to stay that way. When I hunt far, far away I use a Tuff Pak and had the option of a "TSA lock", which option I did NOT elect since I just don't trust TSA. Most are probably honest and trustworthy, but I am sure NOT ALL, hence my choosing a non-TSA lock. To date I have not regretted that decision.

But as noted, they CAN legally break or cut the lock off. I have never had a problem with weapons (knock on wood) but I certainly do not put high value items in my checked baggage, between TSA and the baggage handlers, why risk it.

Sorry to hear you lost all that cash, bummer after such a great hunting experience.

Like having a great steak, a fine wine and all around a great meal. Only to have vinegar for dessert! Kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth. But, no reason to cry over spilled milk. Life goes on!!

Default Mail

It probably wouldn't help for Dillingham but now I mail rifles EVERY time I fly. The cost ends up being about the same and I can insure them. BTW, it is perfectly legal to mail a long gun to yourself anywhere in the US.

We thought a lot about shipping stuff up there but the freight killed it. Also the airline won't just ship anything to anybody anywhere! It was cheaper to pay more for excessive baggage than the freight. Although since North West poked a hole in my $300 SKB gun (still fighting with them for reimbursement) case, on the way home, it may have been cheaper to ship it?

They cut my lock of my suitcase and had been through it on my return trip from bear hunting this spring had my empty shell case's in there (left my loaded ammo in AK with my hunting partner) they had tried to reopen my gun case but couldn't get in( I added 2 additional key locks, not padlocks) and then my guns came out on the luggage conveyor, didn't notice until my wife said isn't that your gun case, so much for security. Sorry for your about your cash it really sucks, congrats on your bear though.

Default Do not use tsa locks on gun cases!

If you read the TSA requirements, TSA locks are NOT to be used on guns. The TSA requires that only the person checking guns in have access to the case. You are required to open it for inspection and then you lock it when they are done. I personally want them to inspect them in front of me. I have heard of the bolt and/or mag not being on the other end when you get there! TUFF PAK is great!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 1BigDeer View Post
    If you read the TSA requirements, TSA locks are NOT to be used on guns. The TSA requires that only the person checking guns in have access to the case. You are required to open it for inspection and then you lock it when they are done. I personally want them to inspect them in front of me. I have heard of the bolt and/or mag not being on the other end when you get there! TUFF PAK is great!
    in my case.. the TSA lock was the THIRD lock in place and it was only due to it FIT the eyes of the gun case latches the have keys for them any way.. along with the briefcase style combonation locks that are on the case.

how many locks does a guy need to keep folks out? in all my case had 6 actual lock points on it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default So what'd ya learn there...

moogld? Don't leave valuables alone! Especially cash, this is a Golden rule of traveling...& if you need cash, use Traveler Checks...my father taught me that from a very young age...& for gods sake, don't leave them in your luggage & then complain 'bout it when they're gone...

Quote Originally Posted by MIHunter View Post
    They cut my lock of my suitcase and had been through it on my return trip from bear hunting this spring had my empty shell case's in there (left my loaded ammo in AK with my hunting partner) they had tried to reopen my gun case but couldn't get in( I added 2 additional key locks, not padlocks) and then my guns came out on the luggage conveyor, didn't notice until my wife said isn't that your gun case, so much for security. Sorry for your about your cash it really sucks, congrats on your bear though.
    I'm guessing it was opened due to the empty shell cases present, had that happen to a buddy at Washington National once.

im trying to figure out why you would put 18 bills of the hundy class anywhere but on your person, even while your in the field........18 bills....just dont weight that much, nor take up that much space.

Default ouch

Man thats a ton of cash to have stolen! I dont know or care how financialy well off you are but if that were to happen to someone like me it would sting real bad. Thats more than my frikin mortgage payment! I would never ever keep that much dough anywhere but duct taped to my chest! At least your hunt was successful though. Congrats.

How much of a fight did you put up at the airport? I would have a hard time not jumping behind the counter and searching the staff!

It hurt real bad (first big game hunt in 6-7 years), but when you deal with an Airline (I have for over 35 years, have well over 2 million miles, lost only one thing out of a bag in all these years and that was recently in Panama) you just go so far!!

The story is!! We had a guy that needed to go out of the bush and he was just flying back to Dill where he was to stash our bags at a private residence. Problem was when he got to Dill the taxi was a small car. He only had a small time to meet his flight so the airline said "no problem we can just keep the bags here until they come in tonite to pick them up". We had been hunting several days and we were soak and wet (most of the time) so I really didn't think it was going to be a problem............. Wrong!!! I had sold a car (the guy thought when I said a cash deal, I really meant cash) so I had the extra cash and I thought it was a good time to get rid of it on this trip. Tip money for the guide, a little booze, who knows what?? Bad mistake, I became complacent with mankind and it bites you in the rear end. The reason I brought this up is, it was my mistake to trust people in a rural area. I was born in a rural area and my aged parents still don't lock their doors. I still live in a larger rural area (by todays standards rural, around 150,000 people), and I close the garage door when I mow the lawn. And secondly understand that the airlines don't take responsibility for anything (only your cloths)!! They say don't drag anything on the plane, but when it is damaged or isn't there, they don't cover it (anything but cloths).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast