Thread: Headsup... Some New Hodgdon Powders May Be a Little Hot

Default Headsup... Some New Hodgdon Powders May Be a Little Hot

Some guys have experienced hotter loads with same weight charges of H1000 with recently purchased powder.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-issues-44114/

-MR

Thanks for the tip...that's a bunch of guys that mimic each others moves in the same game, not always a good plan.

I would say that is normal lot-to-lot variations, some powders just have greater variations than others. When you live on the edge, some times you slide off. Everyone who pushes the envelope, sooner or later......
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I pretty much shoot everything over a chronograph and have found similar or greater differences in different lots of the same powder. Now once I have found a load with a particular powder that I like I note the lot number with the range data. Whenever I start using another lot number of the same powder I will reload to the same prior velocity which not uncommonly ends up being a different weight...sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. It is often surprising how chrono graphing your loads will give you information that sometimes runs quite contrary to what you expected - or thought you knew.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    When you live on the edge, some times you slide off. Everyone who pushes the envelope, sooner or later......
    Yeah, sometimes I actually read my Handloading Manuals.

These are quotes from page 90 of my Lyman 47th.

"Keep in mind that in a ten shot test there could possibly be as much as a 10,000 psi difference in the highest and lowest pressure generated."

"No two loads will usually give identical pressure, even though the reloader takes great care to make the ammo as identical as possible. This simply is the nature of internal ballistics."

They also relate a story in which a 270 Winchester developed headspace over a period of years, from firing a load that was only 1/2 grain over the maximum listed load. This load was accurate, and "there was never a single excessive pressure indication from the ammo.

It's food for thought.

I think that sometimes screw-^s are parlayed into perceived wisdom in the guise of "Tips.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.