Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigging for Reds

Default Rigging for Reds

Will be up on the KP August 16-22. Myself and buddy from Phoenix who have never fished for Reds. Have always fished Silvers, Kings, & Halibut with Charters. We know it would be getting late for Reds but where would our best options be location wise to bank fish for the Reds? Sounds like Russian for sure, anywhere else?

Also can anyone suggest an initial rig setup as far as weight, leader length, etc. Understand we may have to adjust for given river situations but where is a good starting point on a rig.

Thanks in advance, this is a great forum from all I've read, obviously people who really enjoy Alaska Fishing!

Default Pretty Late for Reds...

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Fisher View Post
    Will be up on the KP August 16-22. Myself and buddy from Phoenix who have never fished for Reds. Have always fished Silvers, Kings, & Halibut with Charters. We know it would be getting late for Reds but where would our best options be location wise to bank fish for the Reds? Sounds like Russian for sure, anywhere else?

Also can anyone suggest an initial rig setup as far as weight, leader length, etc. Understand we may have to adjust for given river situations but where is a good starting point on a rig.

Thanks in advance, this is a great forum from all I've read, obviously people who really enjoy Alaska Fishing!
    Rainbows and Silvers will be what you want to go after... Unless we have season like 2006 where there were nice fishing coming in that late, I would recommebd leaving the reds alone... Realize that these fish start spawning around first week of September and full on spawn is mid-September.

Default leader

Leader length, hook style, and sinker weight are critical to red fishing. I start at 30 inches, the fly must be tied to the shank - not on the egg loop (law and physics), and usually start with a 1/2 or 3/4 ounce in-line banana sinker. Split shot work just as good.

If your hook is 3 inches off you will miss the fish or snag them.....it can be frustrating, but worth it when you hook into one of the rockets.

Thanks Tynmon! Suggestions to bank fish silvers, locations, techniques with spinning gear, your thoughts appreciated!

Bullelkklr,

When you say the fly must be tied to the shank, please explain, sorry we're rookies. What about the Coho pretied hooks?

Thanks for the reply!

Russian River flies work just fine. Best part is they are .18 ea at Sportsman's Wharehouse. Not sure if you will be on a fly rod or not. If so, you want the leader to be as long as the rod in length....if you are on Kenai, use a minimum of 3 #3 split shot to get to the bottom. If on Russian, two or three #4's work good. You need to adjust this to the current/depth of a given river/stream.

The other poster's are correct for Silver's...they are what will be good fishing by mid-august. If you have a 4x4, you can always head out to Jim Creek for some good combat fishing. Silver's don't generally run in the Upper Kenai....or at least not that I have ever fished for. There are great bank fishing spots in the Willow/Talkeetna area. Or, you can bank fish in Seward...out toward Lowell Point is where many people tend to go.

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Russian River flies work just fine. Best part is they are .18 ea at Sportsman's Wharehouse. Not sure if you will be on a fly rod or not. If so, you want the leader to be as long as the rod in length....if you are on Kenai, use a minimum of 3 #3 split shot to get to the bottom. If on Russian, two or three #4's work good. You need to adjust this to the current/depth of a given river/stream.

The other poster's are correct for Silver's...they are what will be good fishing by mid-august. If you have a 4x4, you can always head out to Jim Creek for some good combat fishing. Silver's don't generally run in the Upper Kenai....or at least not that I have ever fished for. There are great bank fishing spots in the Willow/Talkeetna area. Or, you can bank fish in Seward...out toward Lowell Point is where many people tend to go.
    Hey Akseakayaker thanks for the info about the Salmon Flies we're thinking of heading down to the russian soon. Can you give us an update on the Reds coming up the river? Or refer us to someone who can? We are trying to find out if the second run of reds are just trickling in or are packed in the river? Is it worth heading down now or waiting for a few more days? Any help on this would be great as I have family from Oregon and can race down and do some fishing or make other plans until the reds come in thick enough for us novice anglers to catch some fish.

Default fly tying

The fly material must be tired to the hook shank like a regular artifical fly - not held in an egg loop or such. This is for "fly fishing only areas" like the Russian River and Kenai just down stream of the Russian - check the AK F&G regulations for more details.

There are still lots of bright keeper reds in the river in mid-Aug as well as fish in the spawning phase. Hooking into a red is always a thrill even if they are red and "humped up" and you have to release them. I use a 7/8 wt. fly rod in the Kenai and a 6/7 in the Russian and always have a blast. I went down on the last two days of the season last year - very few fishermen and plenty of fresh

You can also pick up some silvers and rainbows at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Fisher View Post
    Bullelkklr,

When you say the fly must be tied to the shank, please explain, sorry we're rookies. What about the Coho pretied hooks?

Thanks for the reply!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by ILV2HUNT View Post
    Hey Akseakayaker thanks for the info about the Salmon Flies we're thinking of heading down to the russian soon. Can you give us an update on the Reds coming up the river? Or refer us to someone who can? We are trying to find out if the second run of reds are just trickling in or are packed in the river? Is it worth heading down now or waiting for a few more days? Any help on this would be great as I have family from Oregon and can race down and do some fishing or make other plans until the reds come in thick enough for us novice anglers to catch some fish.

Check the sonar wier counts....the link will take you to it. As of 7/6, 4400 sockeye's were counted. The weir is located up by Skilak Lake...so they are certainly headed upriver. About 60% or so of the Sockeye's spawn in Skilak Lake, so that is always a good spot to catch them as well.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishC...displayResults

Default egg loop

I meant that you do not want to tie the yarn to the egg loop - it creates too much lift and your hook ends up over the top of their head....Yes, the russian river flies work very good...and are reasonable in price.

Default Egg loop "fly" is not legal

Creating a fly by attaching the yarn to an egg loop is not a legal fly in the fly fishing only water like the Russian River and sanctuary area. Simply tying the yarn to the hook or the line above the hook is also not legal per the regs.

Check out the definition of an "artificial" fly on the top of page 5 of the Southcentral Alaska Regulation Summary.

The reference to this definition of a "fly" is also found in the lower right corner of page 51 which gives the regs for the Russian River and sanctuary area.

I attach my yarn to the shank with thread similar to how the RUssian River flys are made except I use yard instead of hair. Best I can tell this method should be totally legal as yarn is a commonly used fly tying material.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I meant that you do not want to tie the yarn to the egg loop - it creates too much lift and your hook ends up over the top of their head....Yes, the russian river flies work very good...and are reasonable in price.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

What strength line and leader is a good choice for a standard spinning rod for reds?

Default NOT

I was not in the fly only area.`

Default line & leader

I use 40 lb. test mono line and a 20 to 30 lb. leader depending on how high the water is at the time. Connect the two lines with a small barrel swivel so you don't twist the line when you are flipping. You can use a lighter leader but you will most likely snag and lose more fish.

You are generally handicapping yourself with a spinning outfit. If you are spending all the money to come to AK invest in a medium quality 7/8 weight fly rod and reel and bring them both to try. You can pick up an Okuma Intergity rod and reel for $100 or so - I'm sure there are other combos but the drag on the Integrity reel is outstanding for the price. use the same 40# + leader combo - you don't need a fly line.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    What strength line and leader is a good choice for a standard spinning rod for reds?

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    You are generally handicapping yourself with a spinning outfit. If you are spending all the money to come to AK invest in a medium quality 7/8 weight fly rod and reel and bring them both to try. You can pick up an Okuma Intergity rod and reel for $100 or so - I'm sure there are other combos but the drag on the Integrity reel is outstanding for the price. use the same 40# + leader combo - you don't need a fly line.
    Handicapped by losing the touch and feel of a fly rod? Are there other reasons not to use a spinning rod? I haven't fished up here since 2002 when I was up here for the summer, but I do remember there being a "feel" to it on a fly rod that was easier to feel than with a spinning rod, but you can probably get the same feel by holding the line on a spinning rod similar to the way you'd hold a fly line. For a novice though wouldn't you think that the landing of the fish would be easier with a spinning rod, especially in the fast/deep Kenai waters?

I'm kind of a novice too, just trying to glean information too so I may be way off base.

Default This is a confusing reply....

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Check the sonar wier counts....the link will take you to it. As of 7/6, 4400 sockeye's were counted. The weir is located up by Skilak Lake...so they are certainly headed upriver. About 60% or so of the Sockeye's spawn in Skilak Lake, so that is always a good spot to catch them as well.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishC...displayResults

Russian River weir is above the Russian River falls and just below the outlet of the lower Russian Lake...

Kenai River sockeye sonar that is used to count the late run sockeye (starting July 1st or sooner) is located just above Slikok Cr on the lower Kenai and River Mile 19.5......

That being said, Russian River Weir counts may not be a good indication of the quality of fishing on the Russian River since the weir is above a major barrier and esp this time of year when thousands of sockeye are staging at the mouth of the Russian R. Likewise the Sockeye sonar being located on the lower Kenai is a good indication of numbers comming in to the river. While a few early run fish are still stragling into the lower Kenai, for the most part the late run fish are what are coming in fresh from the ocean, these fish spawn over the entire Kenai watershed and may not be a good indication for fish traveling to the Russian R... Odds are if a large number coming some are headed to the Russian R and generally take 2-5 days to get there from the lower river.

Default Russian River Rig for Reds

Do a search for "THE Russian River Rig" It will show you some different pictures of techniques we have used down there.

I am posting pictures of what I had on that thread back then. There are some other pictures on there with explanations explaining how to use them

I like this style because I can change the barrel weight to accomodate the current or dept I wan to fish. I use at a min 30lb line on the spinning/baitcasters. On the big flyrod around at 10 foot leader. I tie a figure 8 at the end of my flyline. then use about 10ft of 30lb leader and do the same for one end. run that through the flyline and pull them tight on each other. about 5 feet down I cut the line and again tie a figure 8 looping it through the eye of the swivel, over the swivel and backon itself. The same tech for the other end making sure the figure 8 loop is about 3-4 inches long to accomodate the weights. This is where it comes in handy. If I need one ounce, I just slip it off and pull the fly and line through the loop and add another 1/2 ounce to it.but usually a half is enough for the russian. depends on water dept, current etc. Like everyone else has stated..just enought to feel it bounce on the bottom as it works it way down.

The remaining leader line is about 4-5 feet from the weight to the fly..works great..even if the line gets rough from the rocks or the fish, I just have to replace the 5 foot section from time to time..but very seldom anything above the swivel.. the pictures should give you good ref.

Good luck
    DH

Default Pictures

Pictures should have worked..if not send me a PM with your email and will send them to you along with detail instructions on techniques to use down there.

Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I were you, I would use the Coho flys at Sportsmans as a last resort. There is a reason those hooks are .18 cents a pop. The hooks are very poor quality. I would recommend getting some of the Gamakatsu hooks that say Salmon something on them, they are the correct legal size and work 1000X better.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default fly rod for reds

If the fish are thick like they were in '02 and you can catch your fish in a half hour or so the rod you use probably doesn't matter much. If you don't hit things quite as lucky and end up fishing for some hours to get your fish you will find a fly rod has several advantages. Fors starters a correct weight fly rod and reel is less tiring to use for long periods of time - the longer length and action makes the flipping easier. I find a 7/8 wt. a good balance for this time of year in the Kenai. I used a 9 wt. recently after my other pole broke and the difference in effort required was readily apparent. The fly reel is also easy to use in managing the line and won't backlash or accidently release the drag. Feel is another factor you mention - a good fly rod is sensitive to the weights occasionally hitting the bottom and when you do hook a fish. Unless you buy an expensive spinning rod I don't think you will get the feel that a fly rod offers.

Using a fly reel with a good drag I don't think the spinning rig would offer any advantage except the shorter length may make it easier to keep the tip up. It's hard to concentrate on keeping the rod tip up when you have a hard fighting red in the current trying to go back downstream. A fly rod with a fighting butt is a big advantage unless you have a strong wrist and remember to keep the pole vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
    Handicapped by losing the touch and feel of a fly rod? Are there other reasons not to use a spinning rod? I haven't fished up here since 2002 when I was up here for the summer, but I do remember there being a "feel" to it on a fly rod that was easier to feel than with a spinning rod, but you can probably get the same feel by holding the line on a spinning rod similar to the way you'd hold a fly line. For a novice though wouldn't you think that the landing of the fish would be easier with a spinning rod, especially in the fast/deep Kenai waters?

I'm kind of a novice too, just trying to glean information too so I may be way off base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast