Thread: I Need Some Advice for Mid August Family Outing

Default I Need Some Advice for Mid August Family Outing

Gents

I will be returning for my mid tour R&R leave around Mid August. I have a 24ft Cabin Cruiser Bayliner and looking for some advice, tips, ideas, and adventurous techinques to help me out.

The plan is to spend one week on the water with the family. I will be staying on the boat, camping on shore, hiking, fishing, and possibly hunting bear/deer (if allowed to)

I am torn between Seward or Whittier. I know the bear thing is out of the question in 6D during this timeframe. The deer would be an option though. The main game is fish...The whole family loves to go out on the boat and fish and we have always stay for at least a few days...so this is of no concern. The weather will obviously play a part in the planning process. Although as time gets close we will adjust as neccessary.

I need help and advice on where to go during this timeframe for Silvers, reds, halibut, techniques etc.. Regardless we will have a great time, and after these last 6 months.. I am really looking forward to this...

The wife is all about catching fish...and I only have one week to do this. After this trip..we will come back to Anchrage and recock..then off on a 4 day float trip. Was thinking the Kenia River..but am open to other ideas, before I leave and come back over here.

We really enjoy Seward and the surrounding areas....seems the fishing is a little better than Whittier during this timeframe. Regardless, it will be a blast for all of us.

PM me or send me an email at duckhunter01@hotmail.com

Thank you all for your time on helping me out with this. I was reserved about posting this request..but have always recieved sound advice.

Trying to utilize my resources and narrow my results with the time I have.

Thanks again
    DH

Default PWS/Whittier

I'd have to say Whittier. By mid-August the weather can get a little more disagreeable and in PWS there are a lot more places to get out of it.

Default Latest news

Smokumreds and and others have been leaning toward Whittier with the regards to weather.. I appreciate that..Seward would be rough and without tucking in some cover out by Pony Cove etc..it could be rough.

I like Deep Bay..nice scenery and seems there are other little bays and areas to tuck into out there providing protection, providing some great camping areas as well.

I am still interested in areas, lakes, streams feeding into the PWS that would provide some action on the silvers during this timeframe..any other input on this would be apprcieated. Two young twin girls and really want them to get on something...but to be honest...the wife would prefer them..the kids would be fine with a rockfish at 200ft on light line..probably want to take a nap after that anyhow..

If I go out of Whittier I am obviously going to have to take extra fuel..not to worried about this..but will have limits my limits on distance..With Seward, I could easily come back in and get more..just throwing my own thoughts out there...

in regards to fishing...seems there was a post on here in ref to daily limits..and possession limits...I know them and have always followed them....however, how will this affect my weeks time out there....Other than eating them for breakfast. lunch and dinner..lol...seems the only way to continue to have success in filling up the freezer will be limited to what I have on hand upon return to the harbor or getting boarded.

Might call them upon return and ask If I am staying out there for a week..how does this work..5 days..10 halibut upon return...seems would be a no-go in my book..but sure there will be someone out there with a suggestion to this.

Thanks again.
    DH