Thread: Shore fishing for Kings

Default Shore fishing for Kings

I know it is an abyssmal year for kings but it is the only type of salmon I have never caught before. Don't have a boat so I was wondering if anyone knew of any king salmon fishing spots that are still open that I have a chance of hooking one! A spot at kenai river that is shore fishing friendly would be cool also.

Thanks!

Default Kenai Kings

Load up with at least 30lb test line. Buy lures in the 2 1/2 to 3 oz range. Cross the bridge in Soldotna, take first right and go into Centenial Campground. Lots od boarwalk areas to fish. Hipboots, a net cleaning gear and have fun.

The best place I found was Montanna Creek by the camp grounds, it is a bit of a drive but worth it. You can see them under the bridge or farther down stream. Better check the Regs, might be a catch and release only. I caught my first King there and will never forget how it felt to bring it in, I only had a 25 lb scale and it pegged it with ease.

Check out the photo page on my website and have a look at them in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by FLFisherman View Post
    The best place I found was Montanna Creek by the camp grounds, it is a bit of a drive but worth it. You can see them under the bridge or farther down stream. Better check the Regs, might be a catch and release only. I caught my first King there and will never forget how it felt to bring it in, I only had a 25 lb scale and it pegged it with ease.

Check out the photo page on my website and have a look at them in the water.

Montana is closed, no C/R...

The confluence of Clear Creek/Talkeetna River and up into Clear Creek was producing last week. Most of them probably look like ripe tomatoes right now and it will cost you about $60 for a ride (Mahay's or Tri-Rivers) if you don't have a boat.

catch and release areas are all good too. I just want to wrestle these beasts!

I have caught them from shore in Chena 9 in 4 hours, Gulkana hooked 9 lost 8 in about 3 hours, the Kasilof 4 in about 8 hours and the Kenai hooked 4 lost all.