Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Open carry in Denali

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    fairbanks
    Posts
    2

    Default Open carry in Denali

    Hi, everyone. I just moved up here to Fairbanks about 4 months ago. Last night my brother in law was in town so we went to Denali to show him the land. We went to the Crow's Nest. I was open carrying my S&W .44 due to the fact that the hotel we were staying at had posted that a grizzley had been seen around the area. The manager came out and said that it was illegal that I had a gun on me. Fortunately we had finished our meal and were on our way out. I am wondering if she was wrong. I was under the impression that it was OK to open carry in Alaska ( and concel carry). If I am wrong I have no problem admitting it. I just want to stay within the boundaries of the law. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ct, tx, fl,ak
    Posts
    10

    Default carry in national parks

    problem is that the nra is currently fighting to get it legal to carry in a national park but as of right now it is totally illegal. which is crazy cause its my second ammendment right to carry in. Especially in a place where bears and such can be around.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElDiabloRobotico View Post
    Hi, everyone. I just moved up here to Fairbanks about 4 months ago. Last night my brother in law was in town so we went to Denali to show him the land. We went to the Crow's Nest. I was open carrying my S&W .44 due to the fact that the hotel we were staying at had posted that a grizzley had been seen around the area. The manager came out and said that it was illegal that I had a gun on me. Fortunately we had finished our meal and were on our way out. I am wondering if she was wrong. I was under the impression that it was OK to open carry in Alaska ( and concel carry). If I am wrong I have no problem admitting it. I just want to stay within the boundaries of the law. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks

    Actually the Crow's Nest isn't in DNP at all, in fact all of Glitter Gulch is on the east side of the Nenana River making it all on state land. Did she use the excuse of being in a National Park for the reason not to open carry?? If so she was wrong. Not so sure about the other rules on open carry though, maybe she had another reason.

  4. #4
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Crows nest serves liquer... you can not carry into these establishments. i also read the statute.. during the bow hunter course that says your not supposed to have them in the vehicle if your going to stop...


    and i have several clients who have received secondary weapons charges for having gun in car. when stopped for DWI.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Crows nest serves liquer... you can not carry into these establishments. i also read the statute.. during the bow hunter course that says your not supposed to have them in the vehicle if your going to stop...


    and i have several clients who have received secondary weapons charges for having gun in car. when stopped for DWI.
    Thanks Vince,

    Like I said I thought there had to be another reason other than carry in Denali Park as the crow's nest isn't in Denali.

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    fairbanks
    Posts
    2

    Default

    thanks guys. the manager was very polite about it. she just said i had to put it in my truck. i didn't know about not being able to carry it in places that serve alcohol. any other places besides the obvious?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Well, I am not the best informed on this as a practically never carry. However, my understanding is as fallows.

    In the park there was a change in rules to allow state law to rule, then an injunction filed against that, then congress passed a law which was signed by the president, as part of another bill to allow state law to rule. I do not know when the law goes into effect though.

    State law prohibits concealed carry in businesses whose primary function is the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises (aka bars). However, in restaurants that serve, concealed carry is still allowed. I do not know about open carry.

  8. #8

    Default Partially true

    Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post

    State law prohibits concealed carry in businesses whose primary function is the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises (aka bars). However, in restaurants that serve, concealed carry is still allowed. I do not know about open carry.
    It is allowed in resturaunts as long as the person carrying is not drinking or in the "bar" portion of the resturaunt that often exists and it is not otherwise posted as not allowed. I belive private business owners have the option to post their businesses as they see fit, just as private homeowners can legally not allow someone else to carry in their home.

  9. #9

    Default +1

    In CCW class I was shown and told that you can carry in a Resturant that serves alcahol as long as you are not drinking..

  10. #10
    Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    214

    Default

    It was not a rule change, that was stayed by a federal judge pending an environmental study of the issue that the NRA and several other groups were fighting.

    This is even better. It is federal legislation that changes the laws for firearms carry in National Parks to essentially mimic state law - as is my non-lawyer understanding.

    It was attached to the Credit Card Bill and will take effect next February.

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5033322.shtml

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •