Thread: Kenai hiking trails

Default Kenai hiking trails

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can point my girlfriend and I in the direction of some good, relatively strenuous trails on the Kenai. Also, I would appreciate any info on avoiding bears, as I've got no experience handling them.

Thanks!

Hike the Lost lake trail out of Seward. It is a beautiful trip. It can be done as an up and back, or go all the way through to the primrose trail and back down that way. Bring a camera. Another good hike would be the ressurection pass trail. Once again, this can be done as day trips, or a week long adventure.

Check out the Alaska Hike web page at http://www.akhs.atfreeweb.com/index.htm

Stop by the KNWR office in Soldotna and pick up a book; lots of good info there.

The high traverse up fuller lakes to skyline is a good day hike.

Also, this Thursday 7/9, we are hiking Slaughter Gulch in Cooper Landing if you want to join us- we meet up at the Soldotna Fred Meyer at 5:30 by the gas pumps.

thanks for the invite, but we won't be arriving till the first week of august. I'm thinking it would be fun to go in a group though....meet some new people.

On the bears...there really are no trails up here where you are guaranteed no bear contact. Even trails in the city parks in Anchorage have them, and for sure the trails on the Kenai Peninsula do.

Please brush up on some bear encounter info before you go- there's a ton of info on the web. The basics include making noise so they hear you coming - most will avoid you if they know you're coming- and you should have something for protection just in case. Since you're traveling you likely won't have a firearm but consider buying a can of bear spray when you get here. Road flares can also be a deterrent but you'd have to be careful not to start a fire. When you light one, you hold it in your hand like a torch and the combination of the fire, the smoke and the roaring noise can scare a bear off.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

thanks, that's a good tip with the road flares. I will have to find some when I get up there.