Thread: Horses on the Haul Rd

Default Horses on the Haul Rd

I am looking for help determining if taking my 2 horses up the haul rd would help with packing out meat. If this is a good idea we would have room for 2 more hunters. I would take a 4 horse trailer and the 2nd half of the trailer can be used to haul out the meat and our gear. I would be willing to help haul out the 2 additional hunters meat with the horses.

Me and my buddy was talking about the very same thing, camping at the rig and trailer and just riding past the 5 mile corrador, I will put the same post in the hunting forum. Where are you located?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I'm in Eagle River, my horses are at my parents in the Butte. I planned on taking my bow and rifle and only heading past the 5 miles if I wouldn't get anything with my bow. Both of us would have our bow certifications.

naw I smashed my elbow a few years ago rifle only so I have to hunt past the 5. I'm working my green morgan every night he should be ready to go come season. My buddy and I were talking about camping at the truck and just riding in the 5. Shouldn't take to long as long as it isn't mucky soft
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Road is pretty rough at times to be hauling a trailer with animals in it. The animals would have to be veterans of travel and the trailer very, very, well made.

Just my 2 cents..but it would be very nice if you could pull it off

Quote Originally Posted by alaska32 View Post
    Road is pretty rough at times to be hauling a trailer with animals in it. The animals would have to be veterans of travel and the trailer very, very, well made.

Just my 2 cents..but it would be very nice if you could pull it off
    Haven't done the haul road, but have dragged a lot of animals over rough roads. You're right on the money. I'll add that it's mandatory to carry lots of spares, as well as a plug kit and pump.

As for road camping and long trips with animals, best I've seen are stock trailers with a rack on the side for three fence panels. Quick corrals each night are a blessing.

beleive it or not the road is in excellent condition right now, just came back from hunting up there and could not beleive how great of shape the road was in.....

Default Smashed Elbow?

Ironartist --- If you are not aware, there is a "method and means" exemption that one can obtain for using a crossbow in an "archery only" hunt, which includes the 5 mile corridor.

A doctor will need to verify that you cannot pull back a bow and hold it long enough. I have all the information and can email you the form and point of contact at F&G in Juneau.

The crossbow is the DEFINATIVE weapon of choice for me in a bear stand. The bears think they have been stung by a bee. The don't know they are "Dead Bear Walking!"

Send me a PM and give me ten days to respond.

bump to keep info coming

Unhappy Don't do it

There's a reason the spot is called Deadhorse. We took 6 horses in to Galbraith lake area two years ago. I had the same brilliant idea. ****ed near got us all killed. Horses weigh much more than a a bou and have smaller hooves. If we walked on light green lichen on the ridges it held up. One step off and your horse was knee deep 6" from the solid ground you were just on. Try as we could we just could not read the tundra for what would be solid and what would not hold a horse up. Torn up legs, pulled/torn tendons (I required knee surgery after mine went down with me on him). And the horses were worse (my gelding still has a limp on his left front leg). Affraid it's a permanent injury.
    There is a guy who took horses in on the south side of Atigun near the highway maintenance station for several years. He guided about a dozen horse outfit. It's more solid ground there but he usually lost 1-2 animals a year.
    If you want to use horses stick to the AK Range and avoid tundra areas. Up North is no place for horses. Please don't do it if you even remotely like your horse.

Thanks for the info. We had already written it off as to dangerous for the girls. I have been searching the posts and other online sites as well as the regs and have found a few places for moose and bear that are limited access. Nice to be out on the horses and not get ran over by 4 wheelers. Since I made it back home in 01 it looks like the not motorized areas are hit way less than the areas that allow them. So besides a few favorite spots for close, day hunts we will be heading up to one of them.

Default Horse hunting options

Check out the Yanert area just North of Cantwell. It is a controlled use area and can be accessed right there at Carlos creek. No tundra but we see caribou and moose in the area all winter spring when we run south to anchortown. I've been eyeing that area for a couple years now. The other tempting horse area is going east from Cantwell to the Maclaren river area. It's controlled use area and can be a great hunt on a horse. I hope that gives you some more options. Sure can get close to moose and caribou on a horse thats for sure.
    BTW- Have you found a good safe way to carry a bow on a horse? I'm finding it is a challenge. My wife uses a compound and I do the traditional recurve. I can throw the recurve over my shoulder Robin Hood style but her compound just can't be carried like that.

Cabelas sales a bow scabard that I am thinking about trying. I ussually just tie my soft bow case to the back left of my saddle. Its a pain to mount but I havent found a better way. I wont just carry it in my hand. I have to say that my side folding ptr-91 is much easier to carry than my bow.

Default Bow Scabbard

I have a TrailMax bow scabbard which works out fine. It is a bit more bulky than a rifle scabbard but does the job.

I've walked the 5 miles off the Haul road and wouldn't consider taking my boys up there. I wouldn't want to trailer them there or have them out on the tundra.

I have seen horses head up in the mountains for sheep hunting. I didn't get a chance to talk to the hunters about the trail.

Default Every year

I have 2 friends that take the horses up every year and they do just fine. Now here is the catch, they have a trail system that they never take the horses off. Also there is a certain time of year when the bou are in that specific area. It's not in the tundra, they ride the mountainous area down toward attigan. Been doing it for 8 years, no problems with the horses. If I told where they go I would get shot
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

I would carry no less than 2 spare tires, a set of leaf springs and all the tools needed.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed