Thread: Alaska Coho/Itinerary Question

Question Alaska Coho/Itinerary Question

I am getting my gear ready already because I can't wait for my trip in three weeks.

I plan on fishing the Russian/Kenai for reds on July 30-31st. I understand there is a hook size limit and it seems to me any #2 would fit within it??
    I will be in Seward for a tour the first and guided trip the 2nd. 3rd not sure yet.

My last two nights I will be in Anchorage fishing either Bird Creek, Ship Creek, or heading North to one of the many streams. It is my understanding they will be holding Coho and Chum that time of year. I have fished many times for both species in Oregon and usually do good with a spinner or a 1/0 hook and 10 lb leader with a corkie and glow yarn or bait combo.

This may be a stupid question but is that what works up there? Also any regulations I need to be aware of besides the limits? Can you actually keep snagged coho on some areas? Any suggestions for my itinerary?

Sorry for the babbley post.

Can't Wait!

Cody

Thumbs up You're on the Right Track

Quote Originally Posted by cody View Post
    I plan on fishing the Russian/Kenai for reds on July 30-31st. I understand there is a hook size limit and it seems to me any #2 would fit within it??
    Makes things easy on yourself. When you arrive in Anchorage, recommend stopping by the nearest sporting goods store and purchasing a dozen or so "coho flies." All of the retailers carry them and they typically sell at three for $1. That's what most folks use in the Russian/Kenai fly fishing only zone. Proven effective and totally legal.

My last two nights I will be in Anchorage fishing either Bird Creek, Ship Creek, or heading North to one of the many streams. It is my understanding they will be holding Coho and Chum that time of year.
    In addition to silvers and chum, Bird gets a bunch of pinks. That can be a bit of a nuisance when trying to hook coho. With this being an odd numbered year, however, the humpies may not be as thick.

As far as Ship, it's primarily a silver run during the July/August time-frame

I have fished many times for both species in Oregon and usually do good with a spinner or a 1/0 hook and 10 lb leader with a corkie and glow yarn or bait combo.

This may be a stupid question but is that what works up there?
    Spinners and spoons produce lots of silvers. A popular lure is the Blue Fox Vibrax spinner in size #3 or #4. Pink is often a "hot" color.

True, corkies and yarn are the standard drift gear in the Pacific Northwest. Yet up here, anglers tend to skip the corky and just cast yarn. Not sure exactly why it's not used, but straight yarn works just fine.

Roe is very effective as well, especially when targeting silvers mixed among large numbers of pinks. In fact, I've seen people run eggs under a bobber and outfish everyone else by a count of 4 to 1. Most of the time though, the fishing is so good that it's not necessary to resort to bait. I prefer not to use roe simply because it's messy and a hassle to keep re-baiting.

With regard to line/leader, 10 pound may be a bit light. I'd go with at least 15 pound and bring some heavier stuff for back-up just in case the fish keep breaking off and you need to upgrade.

Can you actually keep snagged coho on some areas?
    Anglers are authorized to snag and retain silvers in saltwater. Even better, there's a six fish daily limit.

The timing of your visit may be a bit early for chasing coho from the shoreline in Seward. Yet, a charter should be able to put you on some fish.

Any suggestions for my itinerary?
    Might want to head north of Anchorage for a day. Eklutna Tailrace, Jim Creek and the Parks Highway streams host exceptional silver runs.

You may find that two days on the Russian isn't long enough. In that case, extend your stay.

Also, consider heading to Soldotna and flip for reds along the Kenai. There are several parks around town that offer access to the river. The main river fish tend to be significantly larger than the sockeye destined for the Russian and put up a great battle.

Good luck!

Awesome tips! Thanks!

I rigged up two rods I am bringing up. One with 30lb main and one medium weight with 12lb main. I like fishing light tackle for silvers but if it's tight I will resort to the bigger rod with a 15lb or so leader.

Is Resurrection Creek good that time of year as well? I heard there is more bank to fish there than the others mentioned.

Thanks
    Cody

Yes, head to Hope if you want to catch lots of pinks and have plenty of elbow room. The fishing prospects should be excellent during your visit. Most folks fish from the mouth to the area several hundred yards above the bridge. There's even a fish cleaning table available for filleting your catch.

Default You may consider....

Maybe you should consider fishing reds on the Lower Kenai too.. There is lots of access and fishing can be very rewarding, and in some locations the occational king.

Personally I think that 30# line is way overkill, 12-15# maxima is plenty heavy, just use a heavier leader and count on changin your line out or cutting sections off more frequently if the fishin is good.

Thanks For the Tips!

For the Lower Kenai do you just pull over where you can see the river and fish or are there parks with access and decent fishing?? Are there hook size restrictions?

Are the limits in Alaska per River or per system?? I plan on getting a Reg Book first thing when I get my license.

Do the Pinks run during an odd # year? Are they good eaters?

Thanks
    Cody

Just to pick a nit, someone mentioned you can snag silvers in the salt and the limit is 6. It depends on what waters you are fishing.

I'd recommend checking the ADF&G website right before your leave to see what emergencie orders that are posted, as limits can be increased or decreased by emergency orders and some areas totally closed to fishing by emergency order.

Default Go to ADFG website...

Thanks For the Tips!

For the Lower Kenai do you just pull over where you can see the river and fish or are there parks with access and decent fishing?? Are there hook size restrictions?

Are the limits in Alaska per River or per system?? I plan on getting a Reg Book first thing when I get my license.

Thanks
    Cody
    Cody,

Man, I know u have posted this on Ifish too, but buddy u need to do some research on this yourself... Use the search function for this board and Ifish, maybe even Piscitorial Pursuits too... ADFG web site is very informative, maps of the Kenai, regulations, and much much more!

Thanks
    Cody[/QUOTE]

Kenai/Russian River has a 3/8 inch between hood point and shank maximum. Ther eis lots of private property along the Kenai and lots of places to fish, just watch for the signs

Regulations aare for "systems" but then there are by river exceptions. On the Kenai there's restriction by where on the river you are.
    Start looking at the regs on the F&G site now.

Pinks run on odd years too, in Resurrection Creek I doubt you will notice the difference. I've eaten them the day caught and thought they were good tasting.

Thanks Guys. I will definitely take a look at that website. Nothing could ruin a trip like a ticket.

Cody,

It sounds like you're definitely excited about your trip, and given your wide variety of questions, I'm guessing you're planning to "do it all" while up here. Kudos to you, there's a lot to do.

Keep asking questions, but spend some time reading through the documents here - you'll find answers to a lot of your questions, you'll likely get more detailed answers than people have time to write on here, and you will find info you'd have never even thought to ask about. There's a lot of info available besides just regulations.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/pubs.cfm

Also, utilize the forum search function.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.