Thread: 260 Rem Improved Load Data

Default 260 Rem Improved Load Data

I have 5 Kimber 84 Montana rifles and I have put Lilja barrels on all of them. 3 of the 5 I went with an improved caliber. The 7mm-08 AI and 243 AI, I was able to find a lot of data on the web, but I have not found any data on the 260 Improved, does anybody on this form load for this? IF YOU HAVE loaded for this any help would be appriciated. I plan on shooting 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I have about 6 differant powder types that work good in the parent cartridge to try in this 260 Improved. Thanks

Why not just start with powders and data for a std 260 and work up from there? Most Imp'ed calibers are good for 100 to maybe 250 fps vel increase depending on the parent case taper. Most authorities feel improving a case is prob not worth while unless it nets at least a 150 fps or so gain.

Default interesting!

Just wondering, did you only replace the barrels on your Kimbers due to desiring a new caliber? or because you did not like the Kimber barrels? It just seems unique to replace teh barrels on a Kimber, due to the cost of a Kimber and since they usually have good rifling, etc.

If and when you find .260 AI data I would like to here about it. Can an existing .260 Rem barrel be made into a .260 AI?

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunteralaska View Post
    I have 5 Kimber 84 Montana rifles and I have put Lilja barrels on all of them. 3 of the 5 I went with an improved caliber. The 7mm-08 AI and 243 AI, I was able to find a lot of data on the web, but I have not found any data on the 260 Improved, does anybody on this form load for this? IF YOU HAVE loaded for this any help would be appriciated. I plan on shooting 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I have about 6 differant powder types that work good in the parent cartridge to try in this 260 Improved. Thanks
    I find it odd that you would rebarrel a rifle to an AI caliber if you don't plan to work your own loads for it. There is no factory loaded ammo for any of them so it is and will always be a handloaders domain. It is really just as has been said, start wiht data for the 260 and go from there. You'll need a chronograph to stay out of the woods.

There is little room for improvement in calibers based on the 308 case, that's a pretty efficient case as is. You will likely only get a solid 50 fps increased velocity, at standard pressure, from the 7-08 or the 260 when AI'd. With the 260 as with the 6.5-06, when AI'd, their appetite for certain powders change. The AI versions work better with powders one notch slower burning. The 6.5-08 AI, only very slightly different, likes H4831 or RL-22 where as the 260 is happy with H4350 or RL-19.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

CHAPS-

Bottom line when it comes to replacing barrels and doing work on a "semi-custom" guns (which I believe all Kimber rifles are) the reason why is the time to work up loads, and now the limited supplies of reloading components. I would rather spend the money and know a gun will shoot right from day one.

It is my experience you get some factory rifles to shoot to my standards, but there is a lot of work to normally get to that point. Yes most factory guns with a little work will shoot a .5" group every now and then. But very rarely will a factory gun average .75" or less. When I say average I mean every group the gun has every fired, that is how I judge what the gun shoots. Not the once and a while .5 incher that most people claim their gun shoots. Yes it shoots those groups, but not very often.

I have never had a gun that was put together by a good gunsmith running a premium barrel not shoot an avg of .75" or less. This particular gun I put a Lilja barrel on. Scope and all it weighs right at 6lbs. I had an alumin trigger guard and bolt handle milled which shaved 4oz of the total weight.

As for Ackley improving a gun and the advantages of doing it, that is debatable. I have 15 Ackley improved rifles, from a 243 AI up to a 375 AI, and the amounts I get above the parent cartridge varies, but I am quite happy with the results.

This particular 260 AI is running an avg 3042 FPS (out of a 23" 3-groove barrel) with a 120 gr Nos Ballistic Tip with a standard deviation of only 6 FPS. This load is 48.5grs of RL 19 with a Fed 210 Match primer in Nosler brass. I am .030" off the jam length. The first four three shot groups out of this load avg .420". Not one group shot over .5"

Hopefully this helps you out

Its interesting how we differ in our perception of performance. I am at a "stage"? that I tend to pick a little more cartridge/caliber that is needed, and down load a bit.

For example, I want 338 win mag performance, but, don't want to worry about maxing out loads, I opted for the 375 H&H and will load a 260 grain Accubond at approx. 2600 fps..........easy.

I used to be interested in the flatest, most accurate, etc. until, I realized my most fulling hunts were where I was able to get the closest to my quarry. 60 yards, 25 yards, 9 yards.......4 yards, but that as with a recurve.(ie. 4 yrds). First, and formost I am a hunter, not a target shooter. But, I very much enjoy target shooting!

Accuracy is superb, supreme, sublime, exquisit! But, its too much like a 205 MPH automobile.......................in the minds eye..................the possibility to use it is there, but, mostly its in between our ears; meaning its possible to use it, but, highly improbable. (I still love my Rem 600 Mohawk in .222 that will give 1/2 inch groups........I know that there is better, but, I just don't lust after it anymore)

Of course, if thats your passion, long shots, absolute maximum performance from a particular case, and/or extreme accuracy, then go man go!

The quest, the journy, or whatever you want to call it, for the best cartridge/caliber for a particular hunt or competition........ it may be the most important.

Abolutely, in my opinion, it is the self eduacation to ballistics (the journy) and our desires to taylor it for our own use, how we see fit, to help fulfill our love of rifles; this is the most important.

I love rifles.

Default results of Nosler 120gr

SheepHunter,

very nice. what results have you gotten on game with the 120gr Nosler? My son has a .260 Rem and with the 1:8 twist barrel it seems to love the Hornady 160gr bullet, shooting very decent at out to 200 yards, but we are going to try to find a lighter bullet with more zip for a possible 300 yard shot if needed. I purchased a box of Sierra PH 120gr spitzers to try but haven't got out to the range yet. We have shot Sierra 140gr GKBT with less than desirable results, and Nosler 130gr AB with somewhat better results. The 160gr bullets shoot the best. the only bullet he has taken game with is the 160gr...smacks the deer like a hammer.

so, what are your results with game using the Nosler 120s?
    Thanks,
    CHAPS

Sheephunter,

My opologies for rambling with no real regard for what you posted. It was a very late night for me.

Sounds like you're going to wring that 260 out superbly. Good luck.

Eastwoods