Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A New Fish to Me

Question A New Fish to Me

We hiked out to Symphony Lake on the 4th. Our plan was to hike over the rocky hill to Eagle Lake for some grayling fishing, but we got a late start and decided that we probably should just stop at the first lake and forgo the fishing. After sitting there for a moment, my friend noticed small fish darting around under the rocks at the outlet of Symphony Lake. I didn't think that there were any grayling in this one, but it's hard to argue with an eyewitness account. I quickly rigged up a small bead-head nymph and made a few casts. I got this little guy pretty quickly. Small, perhaps...but certainly one of the most beautifully colored fish I have caught and a very fun surprise in such a small mountain creek.

Does anyone know what it is? I know it's related to a dolly, but I seem to remember reading an article about these some years back and there is a more specific classification for these alpine fish.

Brian, looks like the dollies we get down here. Is the lake land-locked?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Brian, looks like the dollies we get down here. Is the lake land-locked?
    No, I caught it in the outlet stream. The stream flows down the valley for about 10 miles, but it then goes down some pretty large waterfalls that would be impossible for fish to pass. I know it's a type of dollie, but I read something about high-alpine specific fish that only grow to 5-6 inches.

You got me on the high-alpine link, but whatever they are they look great.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we have a type of cut throat up here that fits that bill Brian... he could be one of those... sure looks like a dolly or char though... pink spots???
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I asked my dad and he says that it looks like a Sunapee Trout but they're from New Hampshire...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you know too bad you spoiled the shot by holding him and revealing his size...... Looks NICE in that first photo!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i've heard them called Gold Fins, we have them in almost all the creeks and springs up in sheep country, real real fragile, small and skinny like that, that'd be a big one from the ones i've seen. but real good markin's on them, better than dollies. don't quote me on the name, might be a slang name.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Perty lil feller for sure, with nice color.

Yeah I have caught those fish at the outlet of eagle lake also earlier this year and just thought it was a Dolly. But if someone knows the specific name for them please share with us. They are a nice looking fish.

As a kid I grew up on rabbitt creek, I use to catch ones just like that from time to time. I knew it looked like a dolly, but never thought it was one. I believe it has to be it's on species. I would also love to know what they are. Great pics and what awesome colors.

as far as i know they are a color morph of dolly varden, usually called goldenfin.
    i don't know of any further classification, though they could be an undescribed/defined subspecies of dolly.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thumbs up

They are Golden Fin Dolly Varden. A sub species that live in any trickle of clean water they can find. I have eaten them, when sheep hunting. They are tasty.
    You can look at thousands of them, at the little foot bridge down by Summit Lake on the Seward Highway, when Canyon Creek originates. They lay by the foot bridge in the moving water. There are also a bunch in Goldenfin Lake, a short hike from the road, just a few miles north of Seward.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I have caught some of them a while back in a few of the connecting streams of Peters Creek in Chugiak, a really pretty fish, I wish all dollys looked like that

-Ben

Looks like a cross between a dolly and a brookie, pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    Looks like a cross between a dolly and a brookie, pretty cool.
    That would make it either a Brolly or a Dookie.

Ill go with Brolly, Dookie is not pretty (at least the ones I have seen)

Heres a brookie if you have never seen one:
    Sorry its not the best pic
    They are a member of the Char Family as well, you fish looks strikingly similar, are there brookies in AK?

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I was going to guess Brook trout. I have caught a lot of Brook trout in high country streams in the lower 48. The ones I have caught don't get very big a 10-12" one is big but they taste good.

Mike

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Here is a picture of a california brook trout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast