Thread: Help Needed In Fairbanks

Default Help Needed In Fairbanks

I recently have gotten interested in fishing so I decided to try a few water holes around Fairbanks. I've hit Olnes pond, Bathing Beauty pond, Piledriver slough, all the ponds on steese 30-39 mile, the Chatinikia River, and 25 mile chena hot springs pond. I've caught no fish and have only received 1 fair bite. I'm looking for any kind of tips I can get regarding fishing around Fairbanks.

I currently own a few poles and a fair amount of artificial lures. I also recently purchased an inflatable boat that has been proven water worthy in still waters such as lakes and ponds.

I'm starting to lose hope and any help is much appreciated.

It's not all about catching fish, appreciatte the beauty around you, and a little bit of luck helps to. Try some rooster tails for pike and small jigs for trout.

haha...lol! You know how the saying goes...You know your not catching ANY fish when you start talking about the weather or the beauty of your surroundings...

Go to the upper chena around mile 33 and cast small inline spinners, there are some big grayling up there and I've heard people catching them on small spinners. If you fly fish, go with Dry Flies this time of year. Blue Duns work best for me, mosquito patterns, royal wulifs, salcha pinks, or bead head nymphs. Somebody had a thread about the upper chena awhile back and said that small panther martin spinners work working great.

Hope this helps...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default bubble and fly

Kempt, maybe try a bubble and fly on a spinning rod on some of those ponds. You'll mostly catch stocked fish. It's possible to fish the same setup in the Chena too.

it does work in the chena too (the bubbles and flies)..just remember with those spinners or any other lures....no trebles in the upper chena! Single hook artifical only! Try and get a drag free drift and you'll do quite well.

Becareful of bait rules in the ponds.

Another one to add would be lil harding, again single hook artificials only...but a bubble with a nymph drug fairly slow should work quite well. becareful of the bog around the shore...falling through it's quite deep!

Default About to head out for my first AK fishing trip

I live on college rd anyone have any ideas that wont lead me more than 5-10 miles away from here? I dont have a boat so it would have to be a park and fish type of thing. Thanks alot

Default KINGS people, its all abuot the kings :)

There are kings in the Chena! Not to mention Pike, burbot and shefish. I woudl also suggest LITTLE Harding with a small boat, late at night, EARLY morning can be AWESOME!

Tradbow you and I need to hook up sometime

Quote Originally Posted by egreife View Post
    Kempt, maybe try a bubble and fly on a spinning rod on some of those ponds. You'll mostly catch stocked fish. It's possible to fish the same setup in the Chena too.
    You mean a bobber?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default airport

ive heard of people doin ok for pike out by the airport in the sloughs around there. i dont think you will get big pike but fish in the 20 inch range and a few around 30. A buddy used to go out there later in the day and he said he did ok never tried it but might be worth it. Also if you can get on post which i believe everyone can now with very little problem the boat ramp over by the old birch wood housing has always been good for pike also. The pond on post (monteray lake) i think is the name used to be stocked i dont know if this year it was check stocking reports. Well hope this helps a little and good luck and keep us posted.

SSG Pitsenbarger
    Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen99709 View Post
    I live on college rd anyone have any ideas that wont lead me more than 5-10 miles away from here? I dont have a boat so it would have to be a park and fish type of thing. Thanks alot

You could always fish Ballaine Lake. I've actually seen a 10" trout taken out of there. The fish are small but it's close to town and a good spot to practice up on your flyfishing skills.

BigCox, I have always called the "bobber" with a small rubber tube running thru it and an oblong shape a "bubble". But what do I know....

RuschinSmushin....drop me a line sometime, I havent fished it in years....first summer back would love to go! Or maybe go bend a big rod in the salcha or chena

Kempt I just caught a bunch of grayling on the Chena at Mile between milepost 33-35. I was fishing with a small spinners (Panther Martins) as well as some rooster tails. I just walked up and down from one of the many pull-outs throwing my lure into holes and probably caught a fish every 10th or so cast. There were a number of big ones in there and it was really a lot of fun so I would say give that a try.

It's catch and release on the Chena for grayling though, right?

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by mandengle View Post
    It's catch and release on the Chena for grayling though, right?

Catch and release only in the upper Chena. The further up the river you go, the bigger the fish...

Yes catch and release and don't forget single hook as well.

Thanks, we gave it a try and caught a couple today!