Thread: Valdez Shrimp

Default Valdez Shrimp

My parents are coming up from Montana July 17th and we are going to take the truck via ferry from Whittier to Valdez - and are planning to rent a boat in Valdez for a day to do some rockfish and shrimping in the bay......

Anyone out there with reports on the shrimp - depth to look for maybe?

Go under 400 ft inbetween 300 ft.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Check out Unakwik, we always do really well in there, 175 feet or so.

Default rental boat

I think that the rental boat is limited to Sawmill and the point across from it.....don't think that we can go out very far.

175 feet - - o boy, I am going to have to shorten my line.....I have 900 foot on it now.

I did find that I do not like the yellow floating rope - it is not near as strong as Potbuilder's sinking line.

Before I go I think that I will just coil up and tie about 400 foot of my line.

I will try to drop them around 350-400 foot and see what happens - we only have the boat for 8 hours - - so we won't be taking too many shrimp out with us.

Default you need to apply some scope

I use 800 feet from the first trap, you need some scope for tides and wind, the bigger your marker, plus the stronger the tide or wind, the more scope. Your pots can creep into deep water, float, and "go away". The bigger spot shrimp, are deeper. Look on the web, there are some scientific studies to look at, good luck

Default OK

I'll just leave the line alone.....3 times depth scope seems a bit much - I will be in the bay somewhere before Sawmill....