Thread: Puppy w/ potential?

Default Puppy w/ potential?

So I have this 11 mo. old yellow lab. We took him swimming this weekend in a slow moving creek. Sometimes he would lose site of the ball so I would call him, he would look at me, I would point at the ball and he would look where I pointed and go get the ball. Maybe I'm easily impressed but I thought that was amazing. That plus the fact that he had zero reaction to the fireworks being set off 10' away from him and I think maybe he might make an awesome hunting dog. I'm feeling a bit guilty about that as we were just looking for a basic couch potato house dog. So how do you gauge potential in a hunting dog?

Sounds like he will pick stuff up and bring it back to you. That is the meat and potatoes of a retriever. How much obedience work have you done with him?
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

When you get a pup around a dead duck or other smelly game bird and it goes nuts that is a good indicator of some of the dog's prey drive.

Having them chase a clip winged bird is another way to determine the dogs prey drive.

If you are not a bird hunter there is always the Hunt Test, Field Trial and agility testing options to give the dog something to play at. Smart dogs love this kind of structured game playing. However it does take a consistant amount of time to work with the dog.

If your pup is now 11 months old did you get it last September from a family in East Anchorage? "Lady Sady of Anchorage" litter?