Thread: Deer flys?

Default Deer flys?

The other night I took the dog out for some swimming work and some wet fun bumbers at a lake in town. While there I was harassed by what I call a "deer fly". It never landed on the dog but landed on my clothes a few times and eventually made its way through the knitted part of my glove. It never landed on my skin.

It is now 48 hours later and the bite is finally starting to swell which got me to thinking about other biting flys up here.

Deer fly might not be the right word, but when I was little in NV we called any biting fly smaller than a "horse" fly a deer fly just due to their size difference. There would be clouds of them around free range cattle out near the basin swamps. They were never around in cold weather in the fall.

These the other night were the same delta wing type of critter and made no noise when flying. The dog notices all kinds of bugs but these she didn't turn to look at even when buzzing her head.

The only times I have seen these in Anchorage were the one or two times over the last 20 years when the summer temps hit the upper 60's for more than a week. Once on the Russain a few summers ago. While living in Fairbanks I would see them every summer while out in the country and in town.

Anyone else noticing these flys?

yes ... and my legs itch like hell from the little +++(&^%$#) ... I have counted 13 bites on my legs from them,.. hard to notice when not looking for them and i'm iching again.. arrrgh..we have large as bumble bee flys, and the littler biting bastarrrrrds that are quicker then heck.. and painful too.. and regular flick'em flys..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Myself and my dog get swarmed by them daily when we are around water!
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

They were abundant at the Klutina River this past weekend. I call them all horse flies. They bite me, but Jim says he has never been bitten by one and wanted to argue whether or not the even bit people.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I call them black flies here in Southeast. They are the most annoying and painful of the bugs to me. They seem to have a knowledge of when you have both hands full and can't swat them away.

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    I call them black flies here in Southeast.
    These are a greenish gray with some irridesence on their body. Not much black on them. They are only slightly larger than a standard house fly but their wings fold onto their back forming a perfect Delta fighter wing shape.