Thread: Duck boat pt. 2

Default Duck boat pt. 2

I read the other duck boat post and wouldn't post my own thread for it EXCEPT, I'm looking for a different kind of boat.

I'm all for the kayak type, but I don't need it to be built for an outboard. At best, I'd like to be able to put a trolling motor on it. I'd also like the boat to be able to double as the blind, and of course have adequate space for all my gear, and maybe a buddy and/or a dog.

If you know of anything close to what I'm looking at, send me a link so I can check it out. I'm sure I can find some stuff online, but I didn't know if you guys knew of anything in the area because I'm fairly certain shipping would be ungodly on a boat to AK.

Thanks.

Based on your comments on here and the other thread you need to get out and see what duck hunting areas in upper Cook Inlet are like. You should do it now when there are not hords of hunters or fishermen.

From your listed needs, any small tin boat will do. Search craigslist for the Alaska section and you will come across a variety of tin boats both flat bottom and semi-V. For most duck hunting I recommend to stay away from narrow beamed boats. Johns with a 48 inch or wider beam are good. Most small semi-V boats have a beam less than 48 inches so they can be tippy. There are some older semi-V skiffs that are short and wide but they are hard to find up here.

If you put up a WTB ad on craigslist then you are bound to get some replys from folks with stuff sitting in their backyards.

Most boats that will safely carry two men and a dog are built for an outboard. You can use a trolling motor but then you are carrying a couple hundred pounds of batteries which will limit your weight capacity. And the ducks are typically two batteries worth of time away from the launch so you need a generator to run the motor or 4 batteries.

Devlin has the Bluebill sneak boat which will work out well for most of the places we hunt up here with launch access. It would be best if used with an outboard and finding a used 15hp one is pretty easy. Put it on a motor lift and you can go most places easy enough. Build it with the transom all the way to the back and you can run a small long tail on it.

If you are wanting to get into Duck Lake on the Hay Flats you need a boat that you can drag up and over the bank with a winch or by hand. Better if it is flat bottomed and small. It also needs to handle chop since the wind can come up out there and make for a hairy boat ride back to the river or the creek.

The KARA Hummer would work for most of the water up here, but in chop it submarines quickly.

Thanks for the advice, but I think I must have been unclear about what I was looking for. I've looked around the internet a little bit, and this is kinda what I had in mind.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...006000_425-6-5

I'm not looking for a big boat of any sort. When I said fishing, I meant as a last resort to take out on ponds and small lakes here on post and around the area. I'm not going to try to go into any big or potentially dangerous waters. I don't even know if the boat in the link I posted is practical for around here based on what you're telling me, but in people I'd talked with and asked about waterfowling around here, they said there are plenty of marshes and small ponds/lakes that a fella could hunt. If I'm mistaken, let me know before I get a boat like this!!

Sportsmans sells an Otter boat similar to that, I think they run about 800 bucks. I don't believe it has seats in it, but you might be able to attach them in there.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The Otter plastic boat will work fine for most the spots up here. I would still recommend getting a small gas powered 2hp motor to save weight and give you more range over the battery powered trolling motor. Finding a 2hp gas motor in AK is hard.

The Otter is not what I think of when someone asks about boats, since it is a really exspensive plastic tub.

Many guys on the refuge say that they hunt two guys out of them, but I would not since I am too much of a safety dork and I hate swimming in waders.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The Otter plastic boat will work fine for most the spots up here. I would still recommend getting a small gas powered 2hp motor to save weight and give you more range over the battery powered trolling motor. Finding a 2hp gas motor in AK is hard.

The Otter is not what I think of when someone asks about boats, since it is a really exspensive plastic tub.

Many guys on the refuge say that they hunt two guys out of them, but I would not since I am too much of a safety dork and I hate swimming in waders.

This is true. I may have 2 guys riding in it to a spot, but hunting, I'm not sure about. Either way, that's the kind of boat I'm looking for, and I guess I'll just have to do my best to find a small outboard for it. Do you think any of the boat stores, or even Sportsmans could order one?

Also, one good thing about the trolling motor is how quiet it is - in all honestly, I'll probably get both, because if I use the boat to go out fishing on small lakes and ponds both here on post and in this area, the trolling motor will be a much better bet, especially since I won't have the weight of dekes, guns, gear, etc.

Alaska Mining and Diving might have a small 2-stroke or 4-stroke Johnson in stock. They are on Commercial drive. Out the Bonniface gate take the right onto Mountain View Drive and follow it along till you go through Airport Heights where they are building the new school on the left. Past that AKMD will be on the left selling ATVS and what not.

You can also go to Marita Sea and Ski behind the Dennys on DeBarr and Bragaw. They sell Nissan motors but I think all they stock are 4-strokes now.

Sportsmans will have electric motors.

Keep in mind that under the AK DMV rules if you put any kind of a motor on any kind of boat you have to register the boat no matter how long it is. Troopers have been busting people on the salt water for their 8foot dingys with little outboards on them and no registration numbers on the dingy.

Now with the increase in Trooper presence in the Knik area they might start checking us at the Mud Lake launch for things like navigation lights and all the required safety gear. I have almost ran over boats on several occassions out there since they didn't even have a head lamp on.

Default My brother-in-law will ship one to you.

Call Rick at Heritage Marine in Beaumount Texas. He may well ship a 2hp to you. 409-861-4118

Aqua pod. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Aqua pod. 'Nuff said.
    get lost.

head to momarsh.com and check out the phat boy dp. best all around boat on the market.