Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is THIS how YOU treat Alaska

Default Is THIS how YOU treat Alaska

I went for a little ATV ride yesterday evening to cool off, and get some fresh air.

Found myself down on the Knik River, off the Old Glenn Highway. Unloaded the old atv, and headed down into the trails.

I was not only shocked at what i saw, but pissed off when i saw the massive amounts of trash heaped everywhere.

During the 4th of July weekend, the IDIOTS of Alaska (probably came from the lower-48) cut down trees, spray painted the rocks and trees, left trash everywhere. One area had a large area coverd with poop and toilet paper.

WHAT KIND OF ANIMALS are using my (and yours) recreational area like this....!?!

I would hate to see the Anchorage PD have to patrol this area during the weekends, much like police departments in the States have to. But, after seeing this crap yesterday, I think it's time to start handing out some tickets, and barring violators from these areas.

On the southern side of the bridge, there seems to be a few people "squatting" in the woods. An old Ford Camper van that houses some homeless guy, and his little camp is a stinking mess.

Your thoughts On This...?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for cleaning that mess up! I pick up trash on ever outing. It gets pretty bad. I doubt its visitors.

That's pretty bad. A couple years ago my buddy and I crossed Turnagain Pass and found heaps of trash from snowmachiners-oil cans, belts, windshields, etc...

I wouldn't expect much else at Knik; haven't been out there in years.

Tim

did you pick it up?

did you pick it up?
    We'll assume so.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    That's pretty bad. A couple years ago my buddy and I crossed Turnagain Pass and found heaps of trash from snowmachiners-oil cans, belts, windshields, etc...

I wouldn't expect much else at Knik; haven't been out there in years.

Tim
    Yep, I hauled out much of the same last year hiking up in Hatcher Pass. I agree, it is unlikely that this was done by visitors. Just disrespectful punks.

thats just wrong people ..we should be cleaning up after ourselfs ..

On the southern side of the bridge, there seems to be a few people "squatting" in the woods. An old Ford Camper van that houses some homeless guy, and his little camp is a stinking mess.
    From the lower 48 as well. You know how well those homeless guys can travel.

They will treat our woods as they treat their cities

Default Frankie - Contact the area manager

Dave Griffin (via www.knikriver.alaska.gov ) about the camper. The new regs covering the KRPUA have had the bail schedule approved by the Supreme Court so the troopers can write citations for this activity now. They are putting in more time out there now.
    If you think this is bad, where were you 5 years ago before it became the PUA?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default E-Mail Sent Mike:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    Dave Griffin (via www.knikriver.alaska.gov ) about the camper. The new regs covering the KRPUA have had the bail schedule approved by the Supreme Court so the troopers can write citations for this activity now. They are putting in more time out there now.
    If you think this is bad, where were you 5 years ago before it became the PUA?
    Mike
    I sent dave griffin an email, and asked when the next cleanup was scheduled..

I have picked up several bags of trash down the little su, every gravel bar. It wasn't from people walking with only access from boats or rafts. People are too lazy to pack out what they pack in. They try to burn beer cans and bottles and oh yes lets not forget about the diapers, flippen pigs
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

During the 4th of July weekend, the IDIOTS of Alaska (probably came from the lower-48) cut down trees, spray painted the rocks and trees, left trash everywhere. One area had a large area coverd with poop and toilet paper.
    Unfortunately, some of the worst offenders I have caught have been Alaskans for their entire lives. :( It's easy to blame those from the lower 48, but some of the junkiest yards you will find in South Central Alaska belong to families that have been in Alaska for generations.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You can bet that I, and the people that are coming with me will treat Alaska, just like we treat our home state. We will not only carry out our own trash, but any other trash we encounter as well.

Living in Alaska, being born in Alaska may make you a resident, but there are more important things then that which make you an "Alaskan". While we're there we will be "Alaskans" in it's purist sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Unfortunately, some of the worst offenders I have caught have been Alaskans for their entire lives. :( It's easy to blame those from the lower 48, but some of the junkiest yards you will find in South Central Alaska belong to families that have been in Alaska for generations.
    This is the first time I agree with you, some of the worst offenders I've met here were born here. Leaving trash, snagging fish and using stuff that ain't theirs, they say they can cause they were born here and it's their state and they can do what they like.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I had a friend who went to several meetings of the local environmentalists club. He became friends with the guys that run the club. He went on a field trip with the club “in people” to take pictures of garbage at an ATV trail head. When they got there they found very little garbage. One of the people took out a bag of beer cans and other crap and spread it around and took pictures. The next meeting was bashing the ATV’ers, and telling their members to write letters to shut down the trail because the ATV’ers were pigs. They used the pictures to prove what was happening.

I have no doubt a lot of what is going on at the Knik is because of the local environmentalists wanting to shut the area down. There is nothing these people will do or say to promote their cause.

I personally saw a car with a ski rack back into a parking spot at the turn-e-gain snowmobile parking area. A woman got out, opening up the back, got back in the car and took off very fast. I walked over and found she had dumped bags of beer cans. Skiers can be such Ass xxxx.

Yeah, don't go blaming the tourists. Being born and raised up here, this is all too common and, the sad thing is, most of it is from those lazy, white trash pigs that live up here and call themselves Alaskan's. They're far from it!

Rutting moose

People of all political backgrounds can be dishonest and loose sight of what's best for society as a whole when chasing there goals. However the Knick area has a bad rep because of a minority of the folks who went there PERIOD! There is absolutely no need to "fake" any evidence of littering, irresponsible gun use, theft, assault or any other form of disgusting human behavior in the knick rec area just stand there for an hour, you'll see it! I know many of the Knick river community council members personally and live in the area, fact is if 98% of folks simply followed the law we wouldn't have any problem with folks using the area, I for one am sick of stolen burned out cars, assaults, gun fire till 3 am and bullet holes in my green house.

The knick river rec area is finally becoming what it always should have been and was too allot of long time Alaskans, a close, safe place to have fun with the family. Many long time Alaskans are disgusted by what has happened to the area over the last 10 years. Since the troopers have been patrolling the area things have improved dramatically. No more shooting at all hours of the day and night, haven't seen a car on fire once this year, haven't herd of a single sexual assault yet this year and virtually everyone I've talked too has been very happy with the changes. All thanks to people who got fed up and pointed out the need for some regulation and enforcement.

In fact the only complaints I've herd have been from the folks who caused the problems in the first place. So you want to trash the land, dump and burn stolen cars or have drunken orgies go right ahead and do so on YOUR OWN LAND! Do it on public land and the good folks of the Knick river area community are going to have something to say about it!

People on the right are no better about there causes either. You shout all day about personal freedom and the right too make your own decisions in life until someone disagrees with you. Admit your gay and there's a line of knuckle draggers stretching around the block waiting to beat you within an inch of your life. Want to make a life long commitment to your partner? Well get ready to hear how evil you are and how your going to destroy not only families but our society as a whole by doing exactly what strait America says is the ethical thing for all relationships, monogamy! Hope your not a incest victim who got pregnant, you'll have to run a gauntlet of folks ready to heap more abuses on you in order to have the abortion this country's laws provide for, heck there might even be a good christian there to blow you and the whole clinic up. Don't know of any environmentalist who committed murder in the name of his cause, several anti abortion folks have!

I'm assuming you meant "there is nothing these people wont do or say to promote there cause" (you've got a typo there) The same can be said of many on the right. If you believe you are fighting for a better future for all Alaskans doing less than everything the law and morality will allow is immoral. I for one commend the folks who have worked very hard to make the Knick rec area a safer, more beautiful and available to ALL Alaskans, not just the drunks, car thieves and sexual predators.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Alaska has the most slobby people per capita anywhere. People go to the woods camp ,party, and just leave there ****e everywhere. Its disgusting. but i won tgo into details on how you handle that,.,...lets just say its hard to fix 4 flat tires..and yeah it doesnt make it right. But leave a note and maybe theyll learn,,and if they dont o well it felt good...let the critisism roll...i can handle it. Its my state and you have to do what you have to do...been here 38 years,,,screw the slobs.

Default The next cleanup

at Knik River PUA that I know of is the Saturday before the Memorial Day weekend of 2010. The ATV Club has been doing these cleanups for 7 years now, collecting over 80 tons of trash. Come on out Frankie!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast