Thread: Granite Creek

Default Granite Creek

Spent the last 5 days at Granite Creek campground. Had a great time, wonderful views and very quite. The sites are spaced very far apart from one another in most areas. The bugs were pretty bad, mostly flies. No fish caught the entire time.

We booked online and the site said it could hold a 37ft RV. We have a 29ft class C that was out to the road, so be careful when choosing a site. I don't think there #s are correct.

Overall a great time and a very nice campground.

I appreciate this report, Snug. I booked online for a couple weekends from now at that campground. We've got a 29' trailer and chose the sites based on the listed numbers (and the fact that they apparently allow two cars per site -- we've got family and friends joining us on an adjacent site). We'll see what it's like. Never been there, but it was one of the only ones with sites available nearby on the dates we wanted. It'll be fun regardless!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Default Have fun, but

depending on your site you will be lucky to get your tow vehicle in. We had to park along side the road as well as out friends. We were in 18 and 19 if I remember correctly.

Sites 4-6 are pretty roomy though. We will try one of those next time out.

We were down in Hope this evening so swung into Granite Creek campground to scout it out on the drive back in preparation for our camping trip with relatives from Oregon in a couple weeks. It looks like a lot of fun, but the sites do indeed seem small. Very wooded and overgrown, too. It looks awesome for a single party who wants to experience a sense of solitude in a campground, but we'd reserved two adjacent sites because of the number of people in our group... Doesn't look quite as conducive to that sort of camping, but will be fun anyway, I'm sure.
    Palmer, Alaska

Follow-up. We camped in sites 13 and 14 -- with a 30' trailer in 14 and a 20' trailer in 13 -- last weekend. Had to really park the TVs cockeyed in order to fit it both sites, too. The sites are plenty long, but for some strange reason they put giant rocks or bumper boards well before the end of the site. I have high clearance on my trailer, but I still can't get the back bumper over the boards... That's a bummer. Wish they'd move the "blockers" to the end of the site to allow more room. Then maybe they'd be closer to the actual rating as posted on the website...

But the campground itself is really cool. I like the feeling of isolation -- you're camping out of sight of most folks in most of the sites. The fireweed throughout the campground was stunning. And the location is great for fishing Hope or the Russian, or exploring Portage or the Wildlife Conservation Center, etc... We would gladly go back to this campground again, just for the ambiance.

Too bad it doesn't have a dump station, or at least a water source with a hose (for filling trailer tanks). I like to travel as light as possible, and would prefer to fill fresh water tanks at the site after arrival.

Cheers,
    Palmer, Alaska

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on taking the kids down in a couple weeks when my wife is TDY.
    Is the fishing close for pinks? I'd like to to get the kids into some fun fish.

HI ChuckD,

The turnoff for Hope is about 6 miles up the road from Granite Creek Campground. And then, of course, it's another 15 or 16 miles to Hope. But we made the trip several times over the weekend we camped at Granite Creek and it was fine.

Hope is a super place to get a bunch of pinks on your kid's line. The area under the bridge did well for us. If you're there in the evening, watch out for a black bear on the campground side of the river (far side away from town) near the bridge. Saw it two consecutive evenings. Well-behaved critter, only interested in fish. But then again, we were on the OTHER side of the river...

Granite Creek campground could be a great place to spend a weekend of daddy-time with the kids. Nice and isolated camping, good fire pits, lots of vegetation, stunning flowers... My wife's drill weekend at Elmendorf is this weekend, but I think we may pull the trailer in to the campground by the hospital and spend evenings with her there. Otherwise I'd consider another weekend at Granite Creek!

Cheers,
    Palmer, Alaska