Thread: Whittier Boat Rental

Default Whittier Boat Rental

Anyone ever rent a boat from Whittier Boat Rental, LLC? Any opinions? Also, any recent take on where the better halibut fishing is - Whittier or Seward? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Anyone ever rent a boat from Whittier Boat Rental, LLC? Any opinions? Also, any recent take on where the better halibut fishing is - Whittier or Seward? Thanks.

Seward over PWS for halibut hands-down IMO.

I rented one of there 20' skiffs ~5 years ago. Great boat and we had a great trip. Looking at their website, they now rent only larger boats, which IMHO are more suited to the sound. As far as halibut goes, unless you're going to run out towards Montague or the South end of Knight, PWS isn't the best for halibut. I find that out of Whittier it generally isn't worth dropping a hook until you've run 50-70 miles out from port. Be willing to run far, and don't invest time in a spot that isn't produce, keep moving.

If you know the area well enough, then 4 guys could save a couple bucks renting a boat for a day vs. going on a charter. If you don't know the waters look at it as a fun way to do some sight seeing and maybe pick up a couple of fish.

Default we did 2 this year

I rented their 22 and 26 footers this year - both overnight trips. First trip on small boat we landed a 63 inch butt. Second trip only got 1 fish at 38 inches - plus shrimp.

Their 26 footer's gps leaves some to be desired -the 22 had a good one in it. The 26's starboard aft rod holder is defective - I lost their rod holder and a custom hali rod due to it and probably some of my fault for not setting the clicker on.

They have been good doing business with for me - they are under new management this year.

They have a 30 foot kingfisher that looks really nice - it is next on my wish list to rent from them.