Thread: Fishing on Kenai in August for the first time

Smile Fishing on Kenai in August for the first time

Hello all,

I was pointed to this forum from the archerytalk forum. Anyway, I'm Tom from Wisconsin, and I'm coming up to AK the first 3 weeks of August. We'd planned to take the first week of august for the Kenai peninsula, and I've read that fishing can be good in Seward around that time.

Can anyone give me any general tips on where or how to fish around this time frame? I don't plan to pay outrageous guide fees, so I'm hoping to just catch a few salmon or whatever else on my own. I've fished lake Michigan since I was a kid, so I'm not really a newbie, just a newbie to fishing AK.

Also, my girlfriend loves hiking in the mountains. Are bears a big concern on the kenai peninsula? I'm a little worried about that, since I don't really have any experience with bears.

Thanks for listening

When I first moved up here my friend got me a book called "The Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. It has a lot of good info about run timing, places to fish throughout the Kenai as well as the rest of Alaska, and directions. The book covers flyfishing as well as use of terminal gear. There are even tips as to which areas are known for excessive bear encounters.

Russian River should be good for reds. The hike to the Russian River Falls was a hike my family really enjoyed, its not that long 2 or 3 miles IIRC. I've been toying with the idea of taking my wife and 2 small kids up there once the 2nd run starts going good. Hike up to the falls, then down to where you can fish, and just fish my way down the river. Be a bit slower fishing as I'd have to help the kids along the trail but I think it has potential to be a fun day. Think there may be silvers in Seward too, never fished out of there so not sure spots or what not. I'd recommend checking the emergency orders on the website before you head out to fish too.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/index.cfm

As for bears, I've only been to the Russian River maybe twice in all the times I've been and not seen bear, so yes bears are a concern. I just carry the bear spray with me and keep my eyes open at all times for them. You can get the bear spray at Wal-Mart gun counter. Also for hikes, I have yet to do it but plan to there is the Exit Glacier right outside of Seward. The hike to the glacier is suppose to be pretty easy and short, but the one I'm really interested doing is the Harding Icefields hike.
    http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisi...ield_trail.htm

Best bet on the Russian for learning the "Technique" is to watch and/or ask. People are generally pretty nice up here and willing to give tips.

Quote Originally Posted by aldridge88 View Post
    When I first moved up here my friend got me a book called "The Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. It has a lot of good info about run timing, places to fish throughout the Kenai as well as the rest of Alaska, and directions. The book covers flyfishing as well as use of terminal gear. There are even tips as to which areas are known for excessive bear encounters.

Great advice here. Forget it says "Flyfishing...". This is the book that tells you where to go and when. With directions. Over 100 maps. Just can't suggest this highly enough. The Kenai has a whole section. Order the book from the forum store or Amazon today. You won't regret it. For bears, use common sense and pick up a can of bear spray when you get there to carry with you. Can't hurt. Be sure to read about the Anchor River, Russian River, Quartz Creek, and Crescent Lake. That would get you in many areas of the Kenai and allow you to fish for several different species from salmon to grayling. Troutfitters in Cooper Landing and Gwin's Lodge both have great websites with lots of info.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

hey guys thanks for the tips. I'm gonna buy that book right now, and study over the next few weeks. What about hiking around the kenai? Are there lots of good marked trails?

Seward are has good hiking trails that lead to lakes for fishing or other trails just for hiking. Get the "Milepost" for complete information on the road system and trials. Also "Fishing the Kenai". If you cna find it it is a little dated but good info as well. Fishing is good, but you may need a boat in August. That is the Silver Samon Derby time so it is rainy and lots of people in town. Good luck, you may want a local charter or outfitter. Try Millers Landing for advice or info. They have a website for reference

Quote Originally Posted by dmbartender View Post
    hey guys thanks for the tips. I'm gonna buy that book right now, and study over the next few weeks. What about hiking around the kenai? Are there lots of good marked trails?

I have not hiked them, but there are TONS of trails in that area. Lost Lake Trail down near Seward is a long day hike I have heard good things about. Saw some beautiful pictures from that hike. Resurrection Trail goes from Hope down towards Cooper Landing and makes a good 4-6 day hike from what I hear. Russian Lakes trails are popular. Good spot for bears too from what I hear. It might be worth your time to post a "Kenai hiking trails" type of post in the hiking forum. Lots of knowledgable folks post there. Also, get a book of course. "Alaska Hiking" or similar is one I got last year that had tons of info. Many such hiking books on Alaska and all will surely have a lengthly section on the Kenai.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I am flying in on the 29th and heading to the Russian River Ferry area, we are planning to fish around in that area until Sunday the 2nd. If you want sent me a message and I would be haapy to show you the ropes, nothing worse than going up and not knowing what to do. It's not hard to catch Reds but there are a few trick to make it easier. I am going to Seward for a Halibut combo trip we need 3 for the boat how many in your party??

Check out my website
    Scott