Thread: Broccoli help

Default Broccoli help

My broccoli are flowering. They just started this week. The heads are not very big but for some reason the stems are really long. I think they are green goliath. They were from denali seeds. I bought them as plants from a green house. I can't remember exactly when I planted them. What did I do wrong?

Maybe next year I will just sow seeds in the ground since the ones that I planted in the ground are way far behind in development

Scratch that they are "pacman" from P & M in Eagle river. I just tasted the flowers and they are delicious. Maybe I will be happy if I can get a whole head of these flowers. Maybe put them in salad.

They're bolting. Inconsistent watering and incorrect nutrient balance are probably the cause. Cut the tops to promote secondary heads. If you continue to allow flowering their season is over.

I have a couple plants that are doing the same
    the secondary heads are still tight (although very small)

I'm hitting them with water religiously now and I put down some 15-15-15 a couple weeks ago in the entire bed

but should I be giving these particular plants something more nutrition wise?

thanks!!

With it being so hot out the soil is getting too hot. I just picked mine and it was doing ok. You can't stop the soil from getting too hot but you can slow it down with water/insulation.

Default Broccoli Help.

Hi.
    Broccoli needs a loamy type soil,same as cabbage,not over rich.
    When half grown you can sprinkle 1/2-1 teaspoon of Sulphate of Ammonia around plants to keep them moving along.
    Keep them growing,by watering,& when established give them a feed of liquid manure,every 2-3 weeks,make sure to pick the heads before they flower,as then they have lost their taste.
    Hope this helps,as it's a beaut vegie,& also tastes good.
    liphooked

Next year I plan on setting up an automatic drip watering system. I don't think my wife waters them very well while I am away.

Thanks for the help.

Drip irrigation is inexpensive to set up. I just did my third system using parts from Far North and Mill Feed. Everything was in stock and easy to use. With the summer we've had it's been nice to know the garden gets watered at regular intervals.

My wife has gone 100% organic. We changed out all our soil and have only used natural nutrient additives. Her garden is far healthier and more productive than it's ever been. For example, our broccoli is going crazy with only one plant showing any signs of bolting. Is it the regular watering? The organic fertilizer? The new soil? The fabulous weather? I can't say it's any one of those things, but in combination she's growing more fresh stuff than we can eat.

This is my first year gardening and I didn't have a whole lot of time or money to put towards my garden. I think my real problems are all of the above (or below.) This fall after I harvest whatever turns out (my peas and lettuce and one of the celery plants still have potential) I will be adding better soil and a few other improvements. I have mostly horse crap mixed in with some soil right now.

I'm just glad I have such great people to give me advice.

One thing that I have learned about my brocs this year is that they always need water. It seems to be like they absorb the water quickly.
    I also fertilized my brocs.
    Out of 3 that I planted, 1 started flowering, so I cut the flowering side of it and it's starting to bud again.
    The other 2 made it and we cut them yesterday and ate one of them tonight in our salad.
    When I have a chance, I'll post how they came out. They look pretty good.

I agere with Mr. Pid in that if they are flowering now, their life span might be over. Cut it and see if it starts to bud out again.
    Lurker.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Too Hot not enough water.

I've had some other plant bolt too before they got their 3rd leaves. The temp around my house and in the raised bed has been as high as 89, here in Wasilla. This time of year down south it all the cole crops would bolt. I think your right about the inconsistant watering but I think the heat, higher then the last 2 summers is causing the bolting too. My peas are awsome this year. Yesterday picked 1/2 lb of sugar peas from a 4 x 6 foot raised garden with more coming everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I've had some other plant bolt too before they got their 3rd leaves. The temp around my house and in the raised bed has been as high as 89, here in Wasilla. This time of year down south it all the cole crops would bolt. I think your right about the inconsistant watering but I think the heat, higher then the last 2 summers is causing the bolting too. My peas are awsome this year. Yesterday picked 1/2 lb of sugar peas from a 4 x 6 foot raised garden with more coming everyday.
    I haven't gotten any harvestable peas yet. They are coming soon. I have a few tiny peas poking out and loads of flowers.

I cut off the broccoli and I am getting some new tighter bunches. Hopefully I will have at least enough for one meal.

The bees love the one broccoli I left flowering. Maybe it will attract some for my other flowers.
    That's what she said...

I know how you feel, Matjpow. Next year I will plant a garden to only attract bees. Place a box next to the struggling plants and net yourself some wild honey instead! Sounds like my plan!