Thread: Mauser 98 Bolt

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Mauser 98 Bolt

My new Bar Gun jist came in the mail, and it's a humdinger, 7x57, former Military Rifle, that I done had "sporterized".

It now has a Bueller type Safety for scope clearance, and it ain't 3 Position anymore.

So how do I get the bolt apart?

IIRC before, I was able to put the OLD SAFETY in the midway position, remove the bolt, and then after pushing on a button screw the firing pin out.

Now, I hain't got no mid-position, and haven't figgered out how to get the firing pin out.

I hope it's an easy way. Any help with this will be appreciated.

I may be gone fishing for a few days but "Lord Willing", I'll be back.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The Mauser 98 bolt is/was the easiest thing in the world to take apart, not now I guess.

I didn't remember the Buehler safety causing this problem but if that's the case then you'll need to keepthe bolt in the cocked position after removing it from the rifle. You may have to insert a small pin, a small allen wrench works, in between the cocking notch of the striker and the bolt flange to hold it if there is no nail hole in the striker cocking notch.

Usually when these safeties are fitted they reduce the striker travel because they do not cam the striker back as far as the original flag safety did. You may still have a striker with a nail hole in it, but can't see it when the gun is cocked.

Anyway, you still can get the bolt out of the gun with it cocked, just not enought to see the cocking notch or the pin hole (nail hole) in the striker. So that being the case, just hook the striker cocking notch on a flat surface, table top, and pull the bolt nose down to expose the notch/nail hole and see hwhat that does for you. (you do know it unscrews, don't you?) When you do this the safety will now be free to swing so you'll need to hold it and rotate the whole cocking piece/flange to unscrew the bolt.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The Mauser 98 bolt is/was the easiest thing in the world to take apart, not now I guess.

I didn't remember the Buehler safety causing this problem but if that's the case then you'll need to keepthe bolt in the cocked position after removing it from the rifle. You may have to insert a small pin, a small allen wrench works, in between the cocking notch of the striker and the bolt flange to hold it if there is no nail hole in the striker cocking notch.

Usually when these safeties are fitted they reduce the striker travel because they do not cam the striker back as far as the original flag safety did. You may still have a striker with a nail hole in it, but can't see it when the gun is cocked.

Anyway, you still can get the bolt out of the gun with it cocked, just not enought to see the cocking notch or the pin hole (nail hole) in the striker. So that being the case, just hook the striker cocking notch on a flat surface, table top, and pull the bolt nose down to expose the notch/nail hole and see hwhat that does for you. (you do know it unscrews, don't you?) When you do this the safety will now be free to swing so you'll need to hold it and rotate the whole cocking piece/flange to unscrew the bolt.
    A Semi-straightened Paper Clip works good, as it can't fall out.

Thank'sa Mill'Yun, Murphy AND Hopeak:

I'll give it a try when I return. I could call the guy who did the work, IN MISSOURI, but I prefer WRITTEN instructions.

I'll letcha know.

Thanks Again
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    My new Bar Gun jist came in the mail, and it's a humdinger, 7x57, former Military Rifle, that I done had "sporterized".

It now has a Bueller type Safety for scope clearance, and it ain't 3 Position anymore.

So how do I get the bolt apart?

IIRC before, I was able to put the OLD SAFETY in the midway position, remove the bolt, and then after pushing on a button screw the firing pin out.

Now, I hain't got no mid-position, and haven't figgered out how to get the firing pin out.

I hope it's an easy way. Any help with this will be appreciated.

I may be gone fishing for a few days but "Lord Willing", I'll be back.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...mbly/index.asp

Default Easy as Pie and only costs a Penny...

Remove the bolt from the rifle, push in on the sleeve lock and rotate the striker assembly counterclockwise so that the striker goes to the bottom of the cam notch. Push the sear forward edge against a hard corner and pull the bolt down, until a gap appears between the striker sleeve and the striker, and insert a penny, then release pressure. Run the striker assembly out of the bolt body, then push the front of the firing pin against a hard surface until the penny falls out, and disassemble the striker assembly as normal.
    Reassemble in the reverse. Works like a charm.
    IF you have a 1917 "Enfield" and would like to disassemble the bolt, pull the bolt back, then push the safety 'on'. Push the bolt forward until a gap comes between the sleeve and the striker, and do the same thing with the penny.....
    Cheap trick an old timer showed me a long time ago, and saves yer knuckles from bruisin' and bleedin'....also works well when you've installed one of the FN commercial type 'slick' bolt sleeves, or it's a commercial gun with a side trigger safety..........

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Thank'sa Mill'Yun, Murphy AND Hopeak:

I'll give it a try when I return. I could call the guy who did the work, IN MISSOURI, but I prefer WRITTEN instructions.

I'll letcha know.

Thanks Again
    Smitty of the North
    What is this bear rifle caliber and to whom did you send this Mauser for work, in Missouri?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

"Sporterized", that word makes me cringe.

You should have used the German sniper safety, then you could have had a classier rifle, and the three positions too.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What is this bear rifle caliber and to whom did you send this Mauser for work, in Missouri?
    -- 7x57

-- A guy by the name of Bruce Dawson, in West Plains.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up Need bolt for Sako Finnbear 30-06 rifle (L61R)

If available please respond. Willing to compensate well.