Thread: Hunting regs what if

Default Hunting regs what if

The hunting regs have standards set for bow hunting to include draw weight and arrow weight for types of game. You can hunt black bear and sheep with a fourty pound bow and 300gr total arrow weight but to hunt brown bear and goats you need a fifty pound draw weight bow with the same arrow. What would happen if this system were to be used in rifle hunting where you goat rifle needed 25% more power than your sheep gun or what ever the numbers work out to?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

take a look at the Bison tags...

it does say what you can shoot...

same for muzzle loaders.

but what if?
    folks would use what they had to use. i doubt anyone would stop hunting because of Caliber restrictions...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default rural

Well for most of us online here we would probably function just fine. I can hear the conversations across dinnner everywhere.

"Honey, um (long pause) Ya see, Alaska now requires I buy a new gun to hunt sheep. I've got one comming (insert cheesy grin)"

If you can afford a $1,000 computer, internet connections, ect.........you'll scrape up the funds or barter for something to meet the requirment.

Those folks who still live in Alaska who function well with minimal outside support just can't up and order a new pea shooter. They would suffer if a law like that was passed.

Long before the white man cruised up and down the coastal native Alaskan men paddled long and hard to distant mountain tops and utilizing minimal tools and a heap of heart scrambled mountain side and killed mt. goat and various game for their people. I'd hate to see a bunch of legistation mess with the ingenuity of native Alaskans or those that choose to live off the grid.

Just because we got a bunch of outsiders comming up all the time doesn't mean those that live here like adding a heap of laws to the books. I moved here to get away from that. Honest!
    Last edited by Bighorse; 07-07-2009 at 08:45. Reason: spelling

I'm thinking the 223cal. thing last year was maybe a test of how hunters might react to such rule changes.

Sheep and goats are mountain species (I know you already know that).

If a person doesn't honestly have the muscle to draw a 50lb bow then they don't have the muscle to hump a sheep laden pack off the mountain.

You can drive a boat or ATV to a dead bear in a lot of cases but a sheep? Highly unlikely.

40 lbs is fine for blackies, caribou, musk oxen and deer.
    For bison, grizzly and moose it ought to be 60lbs and 400 gr arrows

JM2C

Default What would

be the rationale behind this?
    If people are using calibers incapable of clean kills or making bad shots with any cartridge and losing game - hit them with wanton waste charges.
    Adding a new layer of regulation is not the way to go.
    Man up and tell your wife you went and bought the dang gun! :-)
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Why 40# for sheep but 50# for goat?

Default Its a woman's game

The proper name for it is: The "WHAT IF" game.

You can spend your whole life playing the what if game. It will do you little good in the long run. Such as: What if Fish & Game decided that I had to use 30 pound test line for Pike on Minto, but 60 pound test line was required for salmon in the Kenai? What if 4 pound line was OK for Char, but not dolly varden.

Quit with the stupid "what if's."

If a person doesn't honestly have the muscle to draw a 50lb bow then they don't have the muscle to hump a sheep laden pack off the mountain.
    So you take two trips. My kids can't pull 50 yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to let them shoot a sheep with a 40# compound. There are 40# compounds out there now that shoot an arrow harder than a 60# bow 10 years ago. I'll carry most of the sheep for them.

40 lbs is fine for blackies, caribou, musk oxen and deer.
    For bison, grizzly and moose it ought to be 60lbs and 400 gr arrows
    Once again, bow weight really has nothing to do with it. A 40lb recurve is not going to throw out an arrow as fast as most compounds...BUT it might be more efficient with heavier arrows than the compound. My current 55# compound bow shoots a 400 grain arrow 45 feet per second faster than my 70# compound I started with in 1989.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    So you take two trips. My kids can't pull 50 yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to let them shoot a sheep with a 40# compound. There are 40# compounds out there now that shoot an arrow harder than a 60# bow 10 years ago. I'll carry most of the sheep for them.

Once again, bow weight really has nothing to do with it. A 40lb recurve is not going to throw out an arrow as fast as most compounds...BUT it might be more efficient with heavier arrows than the compound. My current 55# compound bow shoots a 400 grain arrow 45 feet per second faster than my 70# compound I started with in 1989.
    Very true. I've seen guys huge guys that workout all the time not be able to draw my #70 bow, but are able to out bench press me by 100# simply cause they do not have the muscle memory for how to pull a bow efficiently. Plus I have no doubt that I could hike/pack them into the ground on a sheep hunt and they freely admit this. For this reason, coupled with what AKDOUG mentioned about so many different combinations arrow weights, compound vs. recurve, broadheads makes the the manufactuers draw weight have little effect on actual bows ability to kill an animal efficiency.

And there are guys like me that can draw some pretty big bow weights and we are completely out of shape when it comes to anything other than typing on the internet or drawing bows
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My only bow is an old Bear 76er 50# and in no way do I think it should be legal over most any 40# compound made in the last ten of fifteen years. I realy question why a goat needs ten more pounds over a sheep or a 150# goat needs more power than a 400# blackbear. It seams to many numbers are just pulled from a hat. If you were born before 85 your folks were smart enought to teach you to hunt but after the state has to do it. In some areas of the state bow hunters are smart enough to hunt anything with their bow but in other areas bow hunters just don't get it and have to have special training.In the SE if you wound a bear and don't recover him it counts as a bear taken,in the rest of the state folks either never wound a bear or are so dishonest they wouldn't fess up anyway so no such rule for them. If this little bit of goverment is such a mess no wonder big goverment is the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    I'm not sure I buy that in all cases. My wife doesn't draw 50 lbs, but she's an animal in the mountains. No, she couldn't pack a whole sheep in one trip, but that's the beauty of hunting with a partner. Her bow is screamin' fast at 40lbs, so I wouldn't hesitate to encourage her to let one fly at a sheep.

40#s is legal for sheep just not goats,they require 50#

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm not sure I buy that in all cases. My wife doesn't draw 50 lbs, but she's an animal in the mountains. No, she couldn't pack a whole sheep in one trip, but that's the beauty of hunting with a partner. Her bow is screamin' fast at 40lbs, so I wouldn't hesitate to encourage her to let one fly at a sheep.
    Same here. My wife's 40-50 lb bowtech is just as fast as my 60# parker hunter mag. Thats the beauty of the 40-50 # range. When she first started shooting it she could barely pull back 40#s once, a couple weeks later she was shooting a dozen arrow in a row. Its amazing how fast you can gain strength.

Anyways, I do agree that their numbers they come up with can seem kind of random. But how else are you going to draw the line easily?? I mean seriously you can't prove a bows KE in the field, but an officer could if he desired carry a draw weight scale if he so desired (although I doubt anyone does). Besides we all know accuracy trumps power anyways. A 30 lb bow shot in the vitals will always be more effective than a 70 lb bow in the gut. Just saying that they have to draw the line somewhere, however I'll be the first to admit it isn't perfect.