Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost Rifles

Default Lost Rifles

Wondering if anyone has found a couple rifles in the Hope area. One was a Weatherby Vanguard .300 with a Leupold scope and the other was an older .243 (scoped) that I borrowed from a buddy. These were lost on a mountain above Hope. REWARD. I had to abandon these rifles in a snow storm last fall (2008) and have not been able to locate them.

Thanks

If you are an NRA member and filled a police report you can collect insurance with the NRA

Not to be the barrier of bad new but i am not sure that apply to losing the the guns. If he left them and then they were found that really is not a stollen item. Its poor form on those that found them and did not roger up when they found them but i am not sure it would looked at as they were stolen.
    Good luck and i hope you can recover them.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Its good for any loss.Fell overboard,fire,stolden ect as long as the loss was reported to police. Also if you do lose a gun say in a canoe tipover you should report it so if someone else finds it and uses it in a bad way you are off the hook.

Default Maybe still there

I can't rule out the fact the rifles are somewhere at the bottom of the mountain-maybe even near the road (Palmer Creek Rd). We were up high waiting for a bear to pop back out when we got caught up in a white-out. I'm sure the rifles were caught in an avalanche. I was just hopng maybe someone out there may have come across them during the spring bear hunt!

Maybe I'll get lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I can't rule out the fact the rifles are somewhere at the bottom of the mountain-maybe even near the road (Palmer Creek Rd). We were up high waiting for a bear to pop back out when we got caught up in a white-out. I'm sure the rifles were caught in an avalanche. I was just hopng maybe someone out there may have come across them during the spring bear hunt!

Maybe I'll get lucky...
    Sounds like a wild trip. Care to explain why you didn't walk out with your rifles?? Sounds like a good story. I hope you find the rifles.

Do you know exactly where you were......? Were you on Snow Machines or on foot....? What week of the year....? How much snow was on the base if any.....? You can send me a PM if you choose, but if you were not on one of the very, very few footpaths, or in the saddle going over to Alder Creek, the firearms will still be there. The problem now is the grass is so high.

Default guns

It's a good story because we did'nt make the 10:00 news that night as "missing hunters". We were on a bear and waiting him out in some steep-high chutes above Hope. The area was all dry and we just got caught in a very sudden and heavy blast of snow. We did not have crampons and could barely keep traction on the terrain. I was slinging my sons rifle so he could basically crawl. We were actually having to climb higher up the mountain to get over to where we could start coming down again. I had my son above me on the slope so if he slipped, I could try to stop him or we could fall together. I stopped for a second to re-configure myself and had set the rifles down. Suddenly my feet kicked out from under me and down the mountain I go. It was sort of a controlled slide but I could not stop myself until I had slid 40-50 yards. It was snowing so hard that you could not see 20 feet. My son thought I had fallen off the face of the earth. I shouted to him and he knew I was OK. I had him stay put while I crossed over to a rocky outcropping and climbed back up towards him. I could not get back to the guns even though they were right there. My son was about 20 feet above the rifles but it was just too risky to have him go foor them. It was not a hard decision to abandon them. We were in trouble and not sure if either one of us could deal with falling again. The situation was grim for a while there because we still had to climb from there to get over where we needed to be. LONG STORY SHORT....we eventuallty made it down. I have made a couple trips there since then and no luck. I'll try again this fall when we go for bear.

At least you or your son were not hurt on this or deal, it sounds like those guns could be anywhere down that hill. Good luck on the recovery.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Smile caution

Well, I would be careful about going after that particular bear if he is now armed with a .300 and a .243...

Jokes aside sounds like a very scary situation and thank god you both made it out. The rifles were a fair trade for your safety!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

[QUOTE=Sollybug;527585]Well, I would be careful about going after that particular bear if he is now armed with a .300 and a .243...

Now thats funny.

Default The bear won...

Yep...One for the bear that day! We'll get him this fall....with crampons as backup this time!

Sorry about the rifles, but glad your OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Wondering if anyone has found a couple rifles in the Hope area. One was a Weatherby Vanguard .300 with a Leupold scope and the other was an older .243 (scoped) that I borrowed from a buddy. These were lost on a mountain above Hope. REWARD. I had to abandon these rifles in a snow storm last fall (2008) and have not been able to locate them.

Thanks
    Nearly 6-7 years later and you will never believe what I found. I was doing some spot and stalk this past weekend on Palmer Creek and found 2 rifles. 1 was in real bad shape and I was honeslty afraid to handle it. The stock was rotted out and the entire rifle was a pile of rust. The other however is a weatherby vanguard 300 win mag that held true. The blued steel needs to be replaced but Im certain it can be cleaned up. I posted it in the lost and found and spoke with an individual on here who recalled a story a few years back so I began searching and came across your post. I have a friend in law enforcement that was working the serial numbers for me trying to locate the owner, but I think I have done just that. I live in Anchorage and have the weatherby in my garage and know the general location of the other rifle if you want to retrieve it. Please contanct me as I would like to return this rifle to its owner. Thanks.

That's cool that you found them after that long

Unbelievable! That's really cool!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Wow that's unreal real! Hopefully you can get it back to Judd, if he gets them back hopefully he will post a photo, I'd like to see what condition its in. Good on ya for trying to find the owner.

I'm truly sitting here in joy and disbelief. I just sent this fine gentleman a PM. I haven't spoke to him yet, but I'd though I'd share my absolute joy that this guy took the time to research this out and find me. I thought those guns were gone FOREVER. I'll certainly follow up after he and I meet. Thank You, Peter! I can't wait to hear from you!!!

Hats off to you, peter033 for your honesty and diligence in reuniting the rifle with Judd. I'm trusting that you'll be blessed 10 fold in the field for doing the right thing! You've made a lot of men (and women on here) smile with this unfortunate incident having a happy ending.

Great find!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast