Thread: Tactical VS Hunting

Default Tactical VS Hunting

Been thinking about putting a tactical scope on my .280 Remington, instead of a standard hunting scope, just wanted to get your thoughts, does it make much of a difference? I do like the type of reticles on the tactical scopes, and wanted to dabble with it and see if I like it. Does anyone hunt with a tactical scope?

I have a burris 3-12 XTR that's going on my future sheep rifle. The only problem I'm going to have with this scope is the large turret covers may catch on branches and such. I'm going to run it through a long range shooting course in Oregon when the rifle is complete. It may be slightly bulky/heavy but at least it's a precise scope. Anything that improves precision on long range shots is less of a chance of wounding a game animal.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I have a burris 3-12 XTR that's going on my future sheep rifle. The only problem I'm going to have with this scope is the large turret covers may catch on branches and such. I'm going to run it through a long range shooting course in Oregon when the rifle is complete. It may be slightly bulky/heavy but at least it's a precise scope. Anything that improves precision on long range shots is less of a chance of wounding a game animal.
    Same scope on my Stag 6L and was very surprised to read that you're thinking of taking it sheep hunting. Let me know how your long range shooting course goes (and always TAKE PICTURES!!). Love my Burris so far but haven't made the time to light it up long range with it....but soon

Why do some guys want to put BIG Glass on your sheep rifles?, I was thinking something smaller, Was thinking about the Leupold Mark II (3x9x40) or Mark IV (3.5x 10x 40).

I'm not sure what the advantage is of big glass on a mountain rifle. You need a rangefinder to confirm any range in excess of 300 yards, speaking generally. I don't think anyone has any business shooting game at ranges exceeding 500 yards. If you can't make out a suitable sight picture at 500 yards with a fixed 4x or 6x scope, then the problem isn't the scope...

A leupold fixed 6x with the 36mm objective seems like a good way to go from a weight standpoint (less than 11 ounces). If you can make one of leupold's bullet-drop reticles work for you, so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    I'm not sure what the advantage is of big glass on a mountain rifle. You need a rangefinder to confirm any range in excess of 300 yards, speaking generally. I don't think anyone has any business shooting game at ranges exceeding 500 yards. If you can't make out a suitable sight picture at 500 yards with a fixed 4x or 6x scope, then the problem isn't the scope...

A leupold fixed 6x with the 36mm objective seems like a good way to go from a weight standpoint (less than 11 ounces). If you can make one of leupold's bullet-drop reticles work for you, so much the better.

The main reason I plan on using the scope mentioned is becaue of the amazing deal I bought it for. A scope that almost cost a grand for $350. The mildot system will be useful as will it's extremely thick walled 30mm "tactical" scope tube. My true scope of choice is my burris 1.75-5 power scope. I'm by no means a big glass kind of guy.....but I do know this scope is the most precise scope I've ever shot with. So I hope for the reason of an extremely good deal.....it's cool with you guys that I want to use this scope for my future mountain rifle......it's good enough reason for me.

Default Tactical Leupold 3x9x40 Mark II

Heres my set up for sheep, went with this Leupold Mark II