Thread: Halibut Set up?

Default Halibut Set up?

Hey guys,

I tried asking these questions in the 'halibut rig rigging' thread but couldnt get an answer because every just kept posting their set ups. I tried to hijack but failed miserably.

Ive got a couple of questions about halibut set ups.

1) What rating rod should we use? I was thinking a 30-80lb rod?
    2) I saw gangion line online but they offer it is sizes 48" to 72". What size should I use?
    3) When you use swivels to attach main line to leader, what strength swivel should we use?

thanks all

Default this is my set up...

ugly stik halibut rod, 80# power pro(i think) had the line spooled at b&j's alfonso is a buddy of mine, so i didnt ask.. and a corkscrew swivel attatched to a 24oz jighead with a rootbeer boneyard grub. put a chunk of herring on the hook, send her to the bottom and prepare for a good time!!

Do you want a typical bait rod, or a jigging rod? With modern jigging rods you can use a much lighter weight rod that has plenty of strength for big fish and you'll enjoy jigging with it all day vs. getting worn out with a heavy boat rod reeling up 3-5# cod sinkers. My current jigging rods are Seeker 30# inshore series rods, but there are many excellent jigging rods on the market. Also consider going with some smaller lighter reels, provided they have enough drag.

I've only seen gangion sold by the spool. I'd think a 48" length would be enough for a knot to the hook, ~18" leader than a doubled loop with a corkscrew swivel to hang your sinker and then a barrel swivel to attach to your main line. As far as swivels, most folks use either 2/0 or 4/0.

My personal preference for setting up my main line is to use a 6-12' lenght of 80# mono as a top shot on top of my 50-80# spectra. There are two reasons for the mono top shop. One is it provides just a slight amount of shock absorption as straight braid from the reel to the terminal tackle puts alot of strain on the rod, reel and terminal tackle, so a little bit of give is good. The other reason is braid is so small in dia it'll cut through your hand like a buzz saw if the fish starts to sound as you grab the line when the fish is to the boat. So the larger dia smooth mono is a good way to protect your hands.

For halibut fishing, I like the shortest stiffest rod I can find. I almost always use circle hooks fishing for halibut, so I'm not too worried about a stiff rod making them shake the hook. My current setup is a 5.5' diawa with a mid sized reel on it, 80# tufline xp.

For the rig, I use 400# test, crimped onto a circle hook, with a swivel crimped on the other end. I just attached my weight directly to my corkscrew on the end of my braid line, and the swivel directly to that. It makes for fast disconnect when changing tactics, and I dont have to worry about a weight connected to my leader when I take it off. I actually just rigged up a few with a split ring and medium J hook on the leader. My plan is, when fishing for big fish, throw a little bait on there, so if I can hook up a smaller fish to create some action around where my bait is and bring in some bigger fish. We will see if it works.