Thread: Fish Trader!

Default Fish Trader!

Has anybody ever heard of trading in Salmon for Halibut at any of the processors on the KP? I'm only going out on 1 Halibut charter, but 4 Silver Charters. Would prefer more Halibut to take home. I would go out on another Halibut charter but my buddy has a bum arm from a car accident and can only survive 1 Halibut "Butt" kicking.

Can't do it. It is against the law.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Can't do it. It is against the law.
    That makes sense, didn't think about that. Oh well I may have to just catch bigger Halibut Thanks Yukon !

You can give it away though. And if someone gives you some, possession of transfer form I think is needed just like big game. Can't give away PU (dipnetted fish) - it is for immediate family.

Question statute or reg number?

where is it written that PU fish cannot be given away?
    not doubting, but i have never seen any reg to that effect....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    where is it written that PU fish cannot be given away?
    not doubting, but i have never seen any reg to that effect....
    Just giving you the info requested, not trying to be annoying. This only applies specifically to fish caught in a personal use fishery, not sports fishing. Found here:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...luse/index.cfm

"Personal use" is a legally defined type of fishery. It is defined as "the taking, attempting to take or possession of finfish, shellfish or aquatic plants by an individual Alaskan for consumption as food or use as bait by that individual or his immediate family."

Also, for this thread's purpose, anyway:

It is unlawful to buy, sell, trade or barter personal use finfish, shellfish, aquatic plants, or their parts.

All of that said, I'm not sure what the law is in regard to strictly sports fishing, as the OP seems to be asking about.

Thumbs up i totally agree

i found that in the regs, don't remember seeing it before.
    i have had some heated discussions with folks who send PU fish to relatives out of state. i would argue that "immediate family" be construed as "in the state".

It is hard to determine what exactly "immediate family" means. It makes me wonder if sending some salmon to my brother who now lives in the states is against, at the least, the spirit of the law?

Good points, Homer Dave and Coho Slayer!

May I bring this bit of information to the table?

Try this link:

http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/li..._infosheet.pdf

Under what is considered a resident and "immediate family," in part:

"G) residence of spouse and minor children or dependents; [Note: You are unlikely to be considered a resident of Alaska if your immediate family is living in another state or claiming another state as their residence while you consider Alaska your home.]"

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    It is hard to determine what exactly "immediate family" means. It makes me wonder if sending some salmon to my brother who now lives in the states is against, at the least, the spirit of the law?
    I'd heard a few years back some guys were at the airport shipping out boxes of salmon that were P/U catch and bragging about how their family members had given them the fish. They were popped by fish and game.

Those not allowed to partake in P/U fisheries, which would be non-res aren't allowed touch a dipnet or dipnet caught fish if they are with someone who is dipnetting.

Good point(s), Paul. Might I add that even though I hold a valid AK driver's and non-resident fishing licenses, I don't mind not being able to help my cousin dig for clams, or to carry any of the gear. Instead when he is clamming I can take my own "personal use" pictures and look out for the game wardens!

Teasing aside, I'd love to be able to dipnet for Reds. The sight of those huge nets and a possible quick limit is exciting. But since I haven't resided
    in the state for twelve consecutive months I am not allowed to. However,
    to solve this "problem," my cousin told me that I could just fish for reds alongside him with a rod n reel, and kept my limit only and separate from his own...That'd be fine, too!

Exclamation clams?

clams are sport, not PU, so dig your own limit!