Thread: trailer tires

Default trailer tires

I trying to build a meat wagon and the tires that I have are from an atv and when I went down to the store today to get some spindles for the build the man told me that only trailer rims and tires would fit the spindles and not atv tires and rims, just wondering if any one else had ever heard this or what?

Never heard of such a thing. Its been quite some time ago but the last time I built 3 trailers all with wheeler tires I went to Trailer craft and they gave me everything to match the rims I had.

Depends on the bolt pattern on the wheeler rims. Alot of the newer wheelers have a very spread out unique bolt pattern that is not used in the auto/trailer world. New Polaris wheelers for example. I don't used wheeler tires for my meat trailers. I use 15 or 16" truck tires and wheels. You can usually get a used wet of take off tires for free at any tire shop and a set of wheels cheaper than wheeler wheels. As for being useful, the tall tire pulls WAY easier than wheeler tires do on a trailer. Big difference in rocks,tree roots and mud and muskeg. I won't build another trailer with wheeler tires.

Went to 6 roblee's today to see if the hub and bolt pattern would fit and the bolt pattern is a match but the center section that goes through the rim is to big to fit through the rim. Guess I'm back to square one, unless I could shave down the center of the rim to fit. Any Comments or A big waste of time?

What wheeler did the tires come off of?

Default drill wheeler rim

I know a few guys that did the same thing they just drilled the rims to fit hubs. They do not have to be perfect unless you plan on doing 55MPH all the time. Just an idea. I just went with the 25 inch tires that 6 robbers sells but at the price I paid a few years ago ($114) each I think I would look into the drilling idea. The thing about wheeler tires is thet usually have better side walls less puncture resistent then the ones at 6 robbers

Swap your tires on to the wheels that Trailercraft and/or others sell. I use the 5 bolt Ford/Jeep pattern. The rims are cheaper. Changing them over can be a pain if you do not have one of those special tools.

I ran into the same issue when I built my trailer. I was hoping to be able to use ATV "take off" wheel as lots of guys upgrade the wheels on their ATVs. Most ATV use diffent bolt pattern than the automotive standards. I thought about have some kind of adapter made up but in the end it was just cheaper to buy the proper wheels. I ended up buying 4 new ATV wheels from an ATV part supplier with the correct (and common) 4/4 bolt pattern.