Thread: Cresent lake

Default Cresent lake

Heading up to Cresent lake in the morning, Anyone have any reports on how the season started off? Hope that is will be a good couple days report to follow when I return.

Default It was so-so

We went up on Thursday. There were fish but not with my expectations. We were there several weeks back when the fish were stacked into the creek mouth like a coy pond.

I didn't fish very long as I had to get back to town and prepare dinner for weekend guests, so no detailed info, but there were certainly fish to be had around the creek mouth and all the way into the lake body.

Beautiful hike as always, folks but not too many people. Workers on the trail have the brush cut back. So all in all, should be a great weekend to head up and sure you will find grayling willing to gobble whatever you have for them.

Good luck,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I biked up on July 1st after work and fished for about 1.5 hours caught a lot of fish mostly in the 10-12 inch range and one 18". Trail was good a lot of bear sign I rode a tire though each pile of **** and on my way back down there was new piles and new tracks about 7 inches wide. I saw a few people and am planning on fishing up there on Thursday as well. I was fly fishing dry flies.

Good Luck

The fishing is always good at crescent

Default Redoubt?

Is this the Cresent Lake that has the Redoubt Lodge on it? If so, how is the Redoubt Volcano acting now?? I have been there and caught a few silvers, but that was a few years ago. Just curious, thanks, Mark

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Is this the Cresent Lake that has the Redoubt Lodge on it? If so, how is the Redoubt Volcano acting now?? I have been there and caught a few silvers, but that was a few years ago. Just curious, thanks, Mark
    In this case, I think they are discussing the Cresent Lake between Moose Pass and Sunshine on the Kenai Penn. Carter Lake has good rainbows and is closer, right along side the eastern trail. The lake has two trails leading to it and a lot of folks fly in on floats. If going, pack a raft. The best fishing is from a raft. The volcano has been quiet.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Redoubt

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    In this case, I think they are discussing the Cresent Lake between Moose Pass and Sunshine on the Kenai Penn. Carter Lake has good rainbows and is closer, right along side the eastern trail. The lake has two trails leading to it and a lot of folks fly in on floats. If going, pack a raft. The best fishing is from a raft. The volcano has been quiet.

Thanks Akres, just the name brougth back some good memories. We flew out of Nikiski over the inlet to "that" Cresent Lake, just for a day trip. Pretty awsome place as are most places in Alaska.

Thanks for the reply, Mark

Wow, We hiked in from the Seward side it was a nice hike to the lake. We

got to the lake around noon, once there we found the Black flies. They

were like nothing I have ever seen in my life. They bit us to pieces. The

fishing started off slow as we were learning the lake and throwing

everything we had to see what they wanted. The wind on the lake made

fishing dries difficult, so going under water was most effective. Once night

came the lake calmed down and fishing picked up. I caught my first

grayling on a dry, What an amazing sight watching the fish come out of

the water to bite the fly. I am totally hooked on dries now! This trip was a

quick over nighter but worth every min of it. There were four of us kicking

our float tubes for 16 hours of 24 that we spent on the lake. All in all

great fishing, weather and hanging out with friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images