Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bank fishing for Silvers in mid August

  1. #1

    Default Bank fishing for Silvers in mid August

    Can anyone give me advice on fishing from the bank for Silvers August 16-22. Myself and best friend coming up to celebrate my 50th B-Day . We will be staying in Kenai while we're there. Have several charters set up but want to fish on our own as well. Any Reds still available during that time frame. Locations, best baits, methods. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Default

    i fished in Soldotna off the visitor center fish walk and did good on the silvers in late August thru September. Floated roe under bobber with weight(splitshot) in the middle of leader to help the eggs get down. Just toss out at the top of the fishwalk and walk down to the end riding bobber on edge of current, once to the end reel in and start over again.

  3. #3

    Default Cunningham Park

    Off of Beaver Loop in Kenai... This is a tidal area so get a tide book and try to fish the incoming. Get a 3 oz pyramid weight on a slider, a chunk of good roe below a small spin n glow, toss it out into the current and wait. Normally a good producer.

    One caution: Your limit on Kenai waters is 3 salmon per day, two of which can be silvers. So, if you go out with a guide and keep 2, you are done for silvers. When fishing in the lower Kenai, it is not particularly good to practice catch and release because the fish will likely not survive. After they have been in the fresh water for a couple of days, they will harden and fare better... typically the middle river area.

    As far as sockeye goes, the Russian will still be producing some good fish.

    Good luck

  4. #4
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Several of my buddies and I caught some on the Russian River last August, you'd have to pick through the Spawning Reds to get them, but they are easy to spot out as they are fresh chromers....An 8 weight rod and egg sucking leaches will work just fine...

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Several of my buddies and I caught some on the Russian River last August, you'd have to pick through the Spawning Reds to get them, but they are easy to spot out as they are fresh chromers....An 8 weight rod and egg sucking leaches will work just fine...

    Fish On!
    Thanks, Not really a flyfisherman but intend to take it up. What would you recommend for Silvers with spinning gear for baits/lures, locations to bank fish.

    Appreciate the info Bigcox!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    Off of Beaver Loop in Kenai... This is a tidal area so get a tide book and try to fish the incoming. Get a 3 oz pyramid weight on a slider, a chunk of good roe below a small spin n glow, toss it out into the current and wait. Normally a good producer.

    One caution: Your limit on Kenai waters is 3 salmon per day, two of which can be silvers. So, if you go out with a guide and keep 2, you are done for silvers. When fishing in the lower Kenai, it is not particularly good to practice catch and release because the fish will likely not survive. After they have been in the fresh water for a couple of days, they will harden and fare better... typically the middle river area.

    As far as sockeye goes, the Russian will still be producing some good fish.

    Good luck
    Will be fishing off guide days for Silvers and Reds! Thanks from Desert Fisher

  7. #7
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Fisher View Post
    Thanks, Not really a flyfisherman but intend to take it up. What would you recommend for Silvers with spinning gear for baits/lures, locations to bank fish.

    Appreciate the info Bigcox!
    I would have to check the regs, I think the Russian is Fly Fishing only until August 20. After that I believe you could use hardware. I would go with Vibrax inline spinners if the regs allow you to do so. I've seen people using regular spinning poles "flipping" for silvers with coho flies in the Cottonwood Hole while I was down there.

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  8. #8

    Default

    Bigcox, again thanks for the info! Coming up from Phoenix and can't think of nothing but Alaska. Man do I envy your weather this time of year. One last question if you don't mind, where on the middle river would be good to bank fish Silvers around that August 16-22 range? Oh and by the way I ran across one of you and Jedi's videos and thought it was killer! You guys look like my kind of people.

    Desert Fisher

  9. #9
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Fisher View Post
    Bigcox, again thanks for the info! Coming up from Phoenix and can't think of nothing but Alaska. Man do I envy your weather this time of year. One last question if you don't mind, where on the middle river would be good to bank fish Silvers around that August 16-22 range? Oh and by the way I ran across one of you and Jedi's videos and thought it was killer! You guys look like my kind of people.

    Desert Fisher
    No worries Desert Fisher, if you are talking about the Middle Kenai, then I couldn't tell you much as I have never fished it. Maybe somebody with more expierence can chime in here? From reading these posts it sounds like your best bet is to get a boat for the middle Kenai? I can understand envying the weather up here right now, I used to live in Tempe/Mesa and hated the summers down there...thanks for the shout on the Videos...

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •