Thread: Bear Mountain?

Question Bear Mountain?

Looking to climb Bear Mountain near Peters Creek/Eklutna but am unable to find the locale of the trailhead.

Could anyone give directions to the trail head? Also would be interested in a trail report if anyone has climbed it recently.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Turn off the highway at the North Peters Creek exit and head towards the mountain. Follow that road until it comes to a T. I think the name of the road there is Chugach State Park drive (or something similar). Turn right, and then follow the road as it loops back towards the mountain. You'll go through a series of switchbacks and steep climbs. At the top of one of the steep climbs you'll take another right. The trailhead is at the top of a hill right where the road turns 90 degrees to the left. I wish I had names for you...but you should be able to figure it out. There is a house that has a black bear siloutte in their yard right where you make your last right turn. The trailhead is about 200 yards uphill from there. Hope that helps. I haven't hiked it this year, but the only issue we ever have there is when it has been wet and rainy, as it can become realy slippery. Given the dry conditions, it should be fine.

Don't have a picnic.

"I'd rather stay home, have a picnic in the bathroom"--Bob Dylan
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

One more thing - once you start walking up the trail, the actual trail to Bear Mountain begins about 100 yards in on your right. The main trail is wide and goes up Peters Creek Valley, but you must veer off to the narrower trail on the left to get up Bear Mountain.

Default Take you "other" right for Bear Mountain

I think Brian means for you to take your "other" right....(left) that heads uphill. Otherwise you will be hiking down into peter's creek canyon!

SS365

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshape365 View Post
    I think Brian means for you to take your "other" right....(left) that heads uphill. Otherwise you will be hiking down into peter's creek canyon!

SS365
    I said left the second time. Sheesh...critics everywhere!

Default My apologies...I mis-read

Sorry Brian... I mis-read your directions...thought I was being funny but really was being a horse's rear. You threw me off by saying take a right....in my head, the trail goes straight off the corner from the parking area!!

My apologies!

No apologies - I DID say right the first time, and incorrectly so. Your correction was helpful, but I just felt like flippin' you some crap.

Geez...talk about confusing directions!

So now it's N. Peters creek to the trail head, make a right, a left, a right, past the science guy flipping crap and into the corner of the parking lot

Seriously though, thanks for the info guys! Really appreciate it

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

FYI-- it is the peters creek exit, not the North Peters Creek exit. You want the exit with the Chevron station on the water side of the highway. Just keep going uphill and you can't miss it.

doug

I didn't know that the Peters Creek trail went to Bear mountain. I know you can go way back up Peters Creek Valley and that if you go left it takes you to the top of Mt. Eklutna...I always thought that Bear Mountain started somewhere near the Boy Scout camp at Edmunds Lake.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default original bear mtn. trail

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I didn't know that the Peters Creek trail went to Bear mountain. I know you can go way back up Peters Creek Valley and that if you go left it takes you to the top of Mt. Eklutna...I always thought that Bear Mountain started somewhere near the Boy Scout camp at Edmunds Lake.
    I was told that there was once an original trail that went straight up from the boy scout camp. I friend climbed part way up using that route a few years back. I've been up the Peters Creek route many times.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

The trailhead is at the top of Malcom Dr, which can be found by following these directions:

http://www.alaskamountainforum.com/w...reek_Trailhead

I did this hike two years ago...not that hard or long, but worth the trip. Once you get to the parking area, you head up a dirt road...a short way down there is a small trail on your left that zigs and zags through the trees until you come to a Y, go right and you head up a draw. Lots of traffic (many runners) so it is an easy trail to follow. Follow the draw to the top where you have a fantastic plateau to see everytwhere. If you follow the rim around you will see the Glenn and come to an interesting rock pile. If you head away from the rim and head up hill there are a couple of trails leading down on the right which will take you back to the PC trail/road. It is a pretty hike, so take the camera! I had a very dark brindle Boxer with me, running loose, and scared the c*ap out of a jogger as he thought he had jumped a black bear...of course my girl thought the same thing so they wer both going in opposite directions before I could straighten it out
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather