Thread: Goat hunt dates

Default Goat hunt dates

If you had the choice to hunt mt goat from 5-9 September or 25-29 September which would you choose? The area is Brown Mt on the southern tip of the Kenai Peninsula. We are planning to land in the salt water and make the climb up above treeline and spike up there.

A couple of factors I am considering:

I am taking my brother with me in the hopes of harvesting a black bear as well.

How much higher will the goats be during the first week of September?

How much better will the weather be during the first week?

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone had any thoughts one way or another...

thanks

bobble

I would go as late as possible. Hair makes a difference to me on goats. JMO. Good luck to you. J.

Default late september

I'd go in your 25th - 29th window. However, very well could end up not going at all.

I hunted Port Dick a couple years ago (right next to your hunt area). We planned a September 13th - 22nd hunt. Our billies were just getting descent coats on them, a week or even two later they would have been much better. However, we sat in Homer for three days waiting for a weather window to get in, shot our goats the next day, and thanks to a Sat. phone came out the day after that. Had we not gotten out when we did we would likely have been there for another week or so. Weather tends to get pretty nasty over on the gulf that time of year.

Don't know who your flying with, but I'd ask the pilot about what they thought the chances of getting you in and out in your short 4 day time period are.

I guess it boils down to whether it is worth the chance of not going at all to get a better coat... or ...from the other perspective if going on the hunt is more important than the trophy. If you plan for the Sept. 5-9 time period and can't get in, you may be able to fall back on the later one. Of course Sept. 5-9 is a pretty good time to be hunting moose too.

If you do a search for a thread called "Goat Mount Pictures" you can see the coat on my little billy shot on the 17th.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Thanks for the input, I am hunting moose 11-23 September so that is what I am basing my timeline around. My only concern with going Labor Day weekend for the goat is getting stuck out there and not getting back in time to make my moose hunt. The drawback, like you mentioned, to going in late september is that I could end up spending that week in Homer, rather than on the mountain.

Thanks

Carnivore,
    How high up did you find your goat that time of year? Did you land down on the beach or in one of the bays or up in an alpine lake?

Default lake

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Carnivore,
    How high up did you find your goat that time of year? Did you land down on the beach or in one of the bays or up in an alpine lake?
    We landed on a lake about 500 feet and found the goats at about 2500 feet. Laid in the brush and watched them for about 5 hours until they came down to 2000 feet to feed.

I'm told the beaches over there can be pretty hard on planes.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Daylight

Daylight, Daylight, Daylight.......you need it. I'd pick the earlier dates myself.

We are going in on floats to probably Tonsina Bay. It will be a good hike to get up above the treeline, but I figure we can spend our first day getting up through the alders to where we need to be on the first day of the hunt.

Bighorse, good point on the daylight. My only concern is the weather, I have a moose hunt planned for the 11th so I worry about getting stuck out there and not getting back in time for that. I suppose though, that I have a worse chance of getting stuck out there if I were to hunt the 25-29th. Labor Day weekend is like late summer...the last week of September is another story though.

Default roll the dice

Roll em and sacrifice a chicken..........It's a crap shoot this far out anyways when it comes to weather.

I personally like to hike in from sealevel. Getting left in a cloud just doesn't apeal to me and I like a romp in the bush.....um...I mean brush.

Up north there is a huge difference in Daylight between the begining and end of Sept.....