Thread: Seward Grand Slam

Default Seward Grand Slam

Just back from four days (over the past two weekends) on the salt out of Seward with Captain Tat of PFish.

http://www.pacificfishing.us/seward

We did the grand slam.

Day 1: 8 Kings caught trolling. Bright strong 25 pounders.

Day 2: Limit of hailbut and some large Ling Cod (we threw them back 'cause the season was not open).

Day 3: Limits of silvers all around out near Pony Cove then further out near the rock pinacles for more big lings. We got to keep them this time! We also kept a few nice rockfish who blew up and released all that didn't.

Day 4: Limits of Halibut with one 134 pounder. I caught that one. The captain coached me right through it, not letting me pull the bait till she finally inhaled it. It took five minutes of tugs before she really grabbed hold.

Great weather, comfortable fast boat, fantastic folks, primo fishing.

The scenery was spectacular too: Orcas, Whales, a pod of dophins buzzed the boat for half an hour, sea otters, sea lions basking on the rocks, Eagles, even a hot tub on the beach at Port Ashton Lodge.

Life is good all around out of Seward.

Riversong

Sounds like a fabulous trip! I'm very jealous.

Sounds like a great trip. I hope my trip there in August can come somewhere slightly close to a day like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Belasko View Post
    Sounds like a great trip. I hope my trip there in August can come somewhere slightly close to a day like that!
    It appears he did 4 days of fishing...but what fishing! I didn't get any kings the other day, but I came up with a grand-slam otherwise, and on a one-day charter. Two halibut (chickens), two ling cod, two yelloweye rockfish, two black rockfish, and an outside of the bay limit of three silver salmon.

I sure do love Seward in July...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I wouldn't recommend public bragging about your two lings and two yelloweyes in one day when the limit for both is one.....

Corbanzo, I wouldn't advise preaching about fishing regulations when the quantity of fish caught is within the limits for Prince William Sound areas commonly accessed by Seward fisherman.

That brings up a good question. If someone catches 2 lings (limit for North Gulf Coast is one per day, one in possession) in PWS (ling limit 2 per day, 4 in possession) and then comes back into North Gulf Coast waters, is that person then legally over the limit for lings? Seems like he would be.

Vek - he said he was on a one day charter, and when people say Seward, I usually expect it being NGC waters. Not used to charters burning that much gas just for rockfish.

Skydiver: yes, you can carry a limit of fish back through another area. If you get a PWS limit, you are not allowed to do anything that even resembles fishing in NGC waters. And if you get pulled over by the coasties in NGC waters, you better have your story straight about where the fish came from.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by corbanzo View Post
    And if you get pulled over by the coasties in NGC waters, you better have your story straight about where the fish came from.
    I didn't think the Coast Guard enforces F&G regs. I think the Wildlife Troopers do. If so, I'm out of the loop a bit (not the first time).
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Vek - he said he was on a one day charter, and when people say Seward, I usually expect it being NGC waters. Not used to charters burning that much gas just for rockfish.

Skydiver: yes, you can carry a limit of fish back through another area. If you get a PWS limit, you are not allowed to do anything that even resembles fishing in NGC waters. And if you get pulled over by the coasties in NGC waters, you better have your story straight about where the fish came from.
    I'm not reading you, corbanzo. The gentleman (nickster) with the variety of fish and 2-fish limits on both yelloweye and lings also got halibut and silvers. No reason that couldn't have happened at Puget or Montague. Are you saying that daily halibut charters aren't going all the way to Montague from Seward? If so, you're quite wrong. Also, coasties don't enforce fish regs, by my understanding.

I was in the middle of responding when my computer lost power at the airport this morning. We were near Montague, along with dozens of other boats. The rockfish come as bycatch while targetting halibut and lings; the silvers were everywhere milling the surface...pretty easy to catch them after I'd finished up jigging. Lots of boats do the ling/halibut combo and get the same additional species I did. Very common. And all in the 2-ling, 2-non-pelagic rockfish limit area.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Actually, if you read the regs carefully, they changed the boundry of the 2 ling/2 non pelagic limit to cape fairfield.......atleast that is how I read
    it, but don't take my word for it, check the regs......As far as the reported fishing trips, it sounds like alot of fun, I did the same as Nickster this last Friday (grandslam), probably the best weather I have seen in Seward in some time!!

Tight Lines!!

-Ben

That surprises me (or at least is confusing to me) because as I understand it if I catch 6 silvers in Resurrection Bay I can't then go outside the bay (fishing or not) because outside the bay the limit is 3 and I would be over my limit.

If the Trooper boat stops anyone in NGC waters with more than a NGC limit for two days you will be fined and subject to some loss...doesn`t matter where you got `em. I`ll read the regs here in a second but it my understanding as told by the officer last time that all the counts only count for where you are checked. I asked because I wanted to know Homer/Seward/PWS relative rules for travelling across all three places for a week. So if you are outside of the Cape you could have 1 ling, 3 silvers, 1 non-pelagic, and 3 pelagic rockfish and of course two`buts per day.

My.02 and it won`t get you fined.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    That surprises me (or at least is confusing to me) because as I understand it if I catch 6 silvers in Resurrection Bay I can't then go outside the bay (fishing or not) because outside the bay the limit is 3 and I would be over my limit.

Maybe because if you were inside R. Bay catching silvers, you probably didn't get there from any other port than Seward, so to be outside of it with that limit, you couldn't say you were just heading home. The flip side is, with outside the bay limits, you can and often are heading home into Seward. Don't know if that's the reasoning behind the regs or not, it just came to mind.

Default regulatioins & ice cream coupons

My understanding is that if the limit is different in two areas, and, you catch the higher limit where it is allowed, you cannot *fish* in any manner for anything in the area of the lesser limit. I'll check the regs for the chapter and verse if I can.

We were checked out by the state troopers, who do fish & wildlife enforcement, they've got a great blue Safeboat to cruise in.

We checked out just fine, and, they passed out ice cream coupons to the kids on board who were wearing their life jackets as required!

Riversong

Default As I understand the Regs.

1. If you catch and keep 6 silvers a person insider Res. Bay, dont go fish for halibut/or lings, or anything outside of Res. Bay.
    2. If you catch and keep a Lingcod outside of Res. Bay, do not fish for anything insider Res. Bay. In fact, I wouldn't even stop inside the bay with a ling. (hard to explain the situation if you are boarded, it ends up being a credibility issue)
    3. If you want to fish inside the bay for silvers, and then go fish for lings, keep 3 silvers per person, go outside the bay, catch your lings, and go back to port without stopping inside Res Bay to fish for anything

AK2AZ,

The regs are different depending on which area you are fishing. For example, if you are heading out of Seward and head east (towards Montague) you are able to retain 2 lings per day, 4 in possession; 2 halibut per day, 4 in possession; 2 non pelagic rocks per day, 2 pelagic per day (or 4 pelagic and no non pelagic) east of cape fairfield. It used to be (as of last years regs.) east of cape puget.

If, for example you are heading out of Seward and head west, past cape Aialik, than you are only allowed 1 ling per day, 2 in possession; 2 halibut per day, 4 in possession, 1 non pelagic per day, 3 pelagic per day.

As far as Silvers are concerned, if you stay in the bay, you can retain 6 per person per day, if you go outside the bay you cannot have more than 3 per person per day, if you decide to come back into the bay to fish, you cannot have a Ling onboard the vessel.

If you catch a ling inside Res bay release it!!
    If you fish inside Res. Bay for silvers and want to go outside of the bay for halibut, only retain 3 silvers a person. If you fish for halibut outside of Res. Bay and dont retain a Lingcod, then you are allowed to come back into the bay and catch 3 more silvers per person per day.

I hope this makessome sense, I know that the regs are confusing, I fished it in the charter industry for 6 seasons and continue to do it privately, and still need to update myself on the regs on a seaonal basis.

-Ben

you ought to be down here more often...Benny

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    you ought to be down here more often...Benny

Dude, I've been down there every weekend this summer (except one) I just cant seem to catch a break with my dads boat and the "fuel problem" I'll try again this weekend, I think my old man gave up, he's fishing with Kevin tommorow....

Anybody here ever been boarded by fins and feathers out of seward? I've never even seen them out there (lived in seward my whole life) I have however been pulled over by the coasties on a few ocasions, and yes, they did ask about fish. Mostly they are worried about safety equipment, but they are still there to uphold the law, and can site you for ANY law you break. Fishing or not.

I try to not even fish in res bay from a boat, unless the weather holds us in. I could really care less about six silvers, why waste $150 on gas for something you can catch off the beach?