Thread: Learning to shoot the Puma 454

Default Learning to shoot the Puma 454

Well, as the Kimber barrel was cooling at the ranged the other day I fired 3 rounds out of the Puma 454 at 105 yds, standing, off hand to see if I could even hit the paper with the factory installed HiViz sites. I was pleasantly surprised. This is the 335gr WLN Cast Performance boolit load that I have chronied at 1950fps, 5 shot average. Next time out I'll see if I can get the windage moved over a bit. I think it's my shooting with the open sites. It shoots 10 rounds into one ragged hole at 25yds off the bench. But, it definitely shoots "minute of moose" off hand at 100yds the way it is What a great little rifle. Oh, did I mention it holds 10 of these rounds in the tube and one in the hole

Thatís good shooting with the stock sights, the front sight is probably 5 MOA wide or more so good shooting off hand. Moose in the pot for sure!!

Puma is a dang good little rifle and with the power of the 454 it's got "wow-factor" for sure! I have been holding off on getting one for myself in hope that someone would make a S&W 460 Mag lever gun like the Puma. I'm about to the point to buy a Puma to play with while Iím hoping for someone to come out with a 460 levergun . . . itís no wonder I am so gun poor.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have thought about one so my rifle and pistol would be the same but when you have used the 45/70 half your life its hard to give it up.

Snyd,
    I saw the 16 in. barreled stainless one selling for $450 from an online gundealer, is this a good deal? I believe the weight was listed at 6lbs. even. This would make a perfect hiking rifle IMO. I've been told it is no longer made in 454, is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Snyd,
    I saw the 16 in. barreled stainless one selling for $450 from an online gundealer, is this a good deal? I believe the weight was listed at 6lbs. even. This would make a perfect hiking rifle IMO. I've been told it is no longer made in 454, is this true?
    Sounds like a decent deal I think. I paid 625 for my 20inch stainless which was less than retail. Legacy Arms used to be the distributor but they moved their operation to Italy. But, there is still an outfit that makes the 454's and I think it's Rossi. I was on another forum and a guy brought it up. I went to their website and downloaded a 2009 catalog. I'll try to find it and post here again with details.

Here you go. I found it. Rossi USA Read the fine print at the bottom. 454 comes with the recoil pad and the "optional-tube feed magazine"

Snyd,
    I have been watching them sell on Gunbroker.com for a year now so I am about as up on their price as anyone I think. That is a very good price for a stainless, $450 to $650 is the going rate of the blue models for the last 6 months. When I have found the stainless 454 Pumas to watch on Gunbroker they go from $650 for a plain used rifle to $1195 for one that was all engraved and tricked out. I donít remember seeing any 16 inch 454s and just looked a bit but only find 20 inch so I wonder if it was cut down or what. I have a 16Ē Rossi 357 and itís great so I would think a 16Ē 454 would also be a great little rifle, but you will give up about 100fps to the 20Ē models I think.

I think they are one of the very best little rifles out there for everyday protection in Alaska. The 454 from a Pumaís rifle barrel is in the same power ballpark as the beloved 45-70 and shears ammo with some great handguns. Yes 45-70 has a bit more power, but the power advantage is not all that much in the end. The shorter 454 case gives it some advantages over the 45-70, hold more rounds in the same tube, the ability to do a short stroke mod to it, use same ammo as your handgun, and plink with .45 Clot longs just to name some of them. I think the only reason the Puma 454 has not been a runaway sales hit is it not sold under an American name like Winchester or Marlin.

Mainer, your time to come home is getting close now isnít it? Gonna be back from deployment in time to make moose season this year? Stay safe and keep up the good work!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have the Puma 454 in stainless with the 16 1/2 inch barrel. It handles very well, recoil is very tolerable, and it shoots straight. Great little carry gun indeed. I have noticed I cannot feed my 355 gr handloads through it, and about the heaviest bullet I can feed through it is the 335 gr Corebon, but that shoots just fine. So now when I carry my 454 handgun and the Puma I have to keep the bullet weight down to 335 gr or less. Not a big disadvantage in the rifle, but I like the heavier 355 gr bullet for the handgun.

Snyd,
    Thanks for the info on your rifle, I may have to call that online dealer regarding that rifle.

Adfields,
    I'll be home around the second week of November. I'm going to attempt a winter hunt....that is.....if I can handle the cold without climatizing.

Talking Home for turkey day, cool!

Snyd,
    Thanks for the info on your rifle, I may have to call that online dealer regarding that rifle.

Adfields,
    I'll be home around the second week of November. I'm going to attempt a winter hunt....that is.....if I can handle the cold without climatizing.
    Let us know if you get it! I have an FFL guy here in Palmer that is only $10 to receive and transfer a gun to you, best deal around. Let me know if you want his contact info or any other way I could help you out, if you need a hand Iím game as always.

As for the cold . . . my first winter here after a lifetime in the Arizona heat I was in shorts and t-shirts all the time, it was like I had execs core heat that took a hole Alaska winter to cool back down! You will be loving it after all the 115/120 degree crap.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona